PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt bomb!!!

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-03, 11:51 PM
Hi ya!

is there a cobalt bomb in existence?? I think someone was trying to put something together...and I wonder if something is around today...apparently it's a REAL doomsday weapon that can blow up the WHOLE PLANET!!!

I must get one for Xmas!!

Paul L

let me know..

korjik
2008-Jul-04, 12:18 AM
A cobalt bomb is one that is designed to spread around large amounts of cobalt-60 when the bomb goes off. Cobalt-60 is a very strong fairly long lived gamma radiation source. Basically, it is what puts the glow in 'nuke 'em till they glow'. :)

By the way, it is also used as a radiation source in radiation therapy.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-04, 02:07 AM
ToSeeked (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=%22cobalt+bomb%22+site:bautforum.com&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

hhEb09'1
2008-Jul-04, 02:44 AM
ToSeeked (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=%22cobalt+bomb%22+site:bautforum.com&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)Which link to which BAUT thread? :)

sarongsong
2008-Jul-04, 04:40 AM
:doh:...Link (http://www.bautforum.com/against-mainstream/18989-apologies-new-problem.html) to BAUT thread: Apologies and a new problem.

...like could the cobalt be local or worldwide fallout? Could a single bomb do the trick? How many megatons would be needed/ If a single one exploded, would the fallout that travels with winds be able to kill us all since it has a half-life of 5.26 years? How deadly are the gamma rays it releases?... :)

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-04, 04:41 AM
Hi ya!

is there a cobalt bomb in existence?? I think someone was trying to put something together...and I wonder if something is around today...apparently it's a REAL doomsday weapon that can blow up the WHOLE PLANET!!!

Paul L

let me know..

For sure , you are just kidding when you said that.

Tuckerfan
2008-Jul-04, 06:54 AM

Right. A cobalt bomb is a much better housewarming gift than it is a Christmas present.

mfumbesi
2008-Jul-04, 08:49 AM
Especially the "blowing up the planet" part.
You need to read the BA's take on the Men in Black 2 movie, pay special attention on the "Blow up planet" part.

...It's possible to calculate that total energy you expended. It's called the gravitational binding energy, and is basically the amount of energy locked up in the planet's gravity......
Found here:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/mib2_review.html

Tuckerfan
2008-Jul-04, 07:26 PM
Especially the "blowing up the planet" part.
You need to read the BA's take on the Men in Black 2 movie, pay special attention on the "Blow up planet" part.

Found here:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/mib2_review.html

Spoilsport. :p

mugaliens
2008-Jul-04, 09:27 PM
Is there a cobalt bomb in existence?? I think someone was trying to put something together...and I wonder if something is around today...apparently it's a REAL doomsday weapon that can blow up the WHOLE PLANET!!!

Paul L

let me know..

Between your grave-robbing the Aurora, and now bringing up cobalt bomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_bomb)technology which was retired in the 1950s, I can't help but ask:

Where have you been? With Brendan Frasier filming Blast from the Past?

Seriously - cobalt bomb technology appeared in Dr. Strangelove (1964), and Goldfinger (James Bond, 1964). Supposedly, the UK conducted a cobalt experiment (trace amounts only) in 1957 at Tadje. The US explored it in the mid 50's throughout the 60s, but the "tests" were done on paper (theoretical only).

Another question I must ask you: Why in the world would you be interested in a weapon of mass destruction that radioactively contaminates widespread areas with lethal radioactive fallout for years, if not decades?

Don't get me wrong - I like things that go "boom" and I've done my share (legally) of blowing things up. But widespread, rampant, and indiscriminate death and destruction isn't my cup of tea. I think it was Saddam Hussein's cup of tea, though, at least what he and his chemical cousin could get away with under the watchful eye of the rest of the world.

Tell you what. Go ahead. Start working on such a device. Put the feelers out - you're looking for scientists, high pay, no questions ask, and a bullet for them if they talk.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your rapid arrest in the news.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-04, 09:30 PM
Oh. My stars. I missed your "it's a REAL doomsday weapon that can blow up the WHOLE PLANET!!!"

You're either three years old, or you're spoofing us, right?

Cause the response is, no, it can't, unless you're on The Planet of the Apes.

grant hutchison
2008-Jul-04, 09:35 PM
Supposedly, the UK conducted a cobalt experiment (trace amounts only) in 1957 at Tadje.From Britain's Nuclear Weapons (http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Uk/UKTesting.html):
Operation Antler
Test:Round 1
Time:0505 (GMT), 14:35 (local time); 14 Sept 1957
Test Height and Type:31 m aluminum tower
Yield:1 kt
Test of Pixie, a lightweight small diameter implosion system with a plutonium core. This test later became notorious because of the experimental use of cobalt metal pellets as a test diagnostic for measuring yield (presumably by estimating the neutron flux from the degree of activation of the target pellet). Discovery of (mildly) radioactive cobalt pellets around the test site later gave rise to rumors that the British had been developing a "cobalt bomb" radiological weapon.Grant Hutchison

JustAFriend
2008-Jul-05, 02:36 AM
Alpha and Omega.... you really only have to worry about the cobalt bomb when the gorillas storm the telepath's church.

(Sorry if the reference is obsure, but I just watched the second Planet of the Apes movie the other day...)

pzkpfw
2008-Jul-05, 05:42 AM
Poor misguided Paul.

"Blow up the planet" and only three exclamation marks in the title?

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-06, 01:53 AM
I think a cobalt bomb was used in Beneath The Planet of The Apes...with the mutant cult???

mugaliens
2008-Jul-06, 07:58 AM
I think a cobalt bomb was used in Beneath The Planet of The Apes...with the mutant cult???

Yes, with them blowing up the Earth as Taylor returned to present day with the two futuristic chimps.

However, that was fiction, not reality.

BigDon
2008-Jul-06, 08:12 AM
I believe the most acurate calculation was done by uber nerds with real planetary sciences degrees to get a death star effect on a Earth sized/mass planet equated to the total energy output of the Sun for a year. They even allowed for the different compositions with depth.

It turned out to being proof on why the bad guys needed a death star. Alderan's planetary shield actually stood up to that for five frames. To a physicist this was impressive.

Tuckerfan
2008-Jul-06, 08:42 AM
I believe the most acurate calculation was done by uber nerds with real planetary sciences degrees to get a death star effect on a Earth sized/mass planet equated to the total energy output of the Sun for a year. They even allowed for the different compositions with depth.It may be a little longer than that, if these figures are correct. (http://stardestroyer.net/tlc/Power/index.html)
This is just the energy required to destroy the planet, with the fragments being ejected at escape velocity, which would take hours to complete. Alderaan was destroyed in seconds, so the power level of the weapon is much greater than Mr. Saxton's estimated lower limit. A possibility also exists that the Death Star was not firing at maximum power. Nevertheless, even the low 2.4E32 joule lower limit is approximately 522600 times the power output of Earth's sun!

Mr. Saxton also calculated an upper limit on the firepower of this weapon, assuming it was set at maximum power. Using this upper limit of 2.4E38 joules, and the suggestion by official sources that the weapon required 1 day to recharge, Michael Wong calculated that the Death Star has a power output of 3 million times that of Earth's sun! He also calculated that a single blast from this weapon releases as much energy as Earth's sun does in 7,000 years!(emphasis in original)

BigDon
2008-Jul-06, 08:44 AM
I like my source better.

publiusr
2008-Jul-21, 08:23 PM
Guiness Book had a 57,000 megaton Doomsday device theory many years ago.