PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Astrology more accurate than Western Astrology????

Sticks
2008-Jul-07, 05:52 PM
Am not sure if this would be acceptable in ATM, since I think this claim is bunk as well, so am putting it here. If it needs to be in ATM, feel free to move it.

In the UK while Big Brother is being played out, they have a side programme that talks about it called Big Brother's Little Brother (BBLB).

On that show we had someone claiming that Chinese Astrology is more accurate than Western Astrology.

Has anyone ever heard this claim?

Have the testings that exposed normal astrology as bunk dealt with Chinese Astrology as well?

At least one thing, the Chinese Astrologer made three predictions, including who will be evicted on Friday, and they said that on the Sunday edition of BBLB they will see how he got on. I really hope they do do this, nd perhaps this will show CA to be as much bunk as WA.

Incidentally in 2003 on BBLB they had all sorts of Woo woo predictors, psychics, astrologers, palmists etc on to predict evictions and an OAP who did not claim any psychic powers, but watched the show. The OAP was supposed to be the control, how would someone do with out any of these so called supernatural powers.

The OAP scored 100% every time :D

tdvance
2008-Jul-07, 05:57 PM
I suspect they are precisely equally accurate :)

Swift
2008-Jul-07, 06:22 PM
On that show we had someone claiming that Chinese Astrology is more accurate than Western Astrology.

Ten times nothing is still nothing. ;)

Honestly, other than the bits about its the Year of Elephant (or whatever), I know nothing about Chinese Astrology.

dhd40
2008-Jul-07, 06:35 PM
I suspect they are precisely equally accurate :)

Yes, precisely 50% accurate (on a long term perspective)

mugaliens
2008-Jul-07, 07:17 PM
Chinese Astrology more accurate than Western Astrology????

Has astrology ever been even remotely accurate?

Sounds like a perfect entry to the Answer a Question with a Question thread in Fun and Games.

Veeger
2008-Jul-07, 08:48 PM
Every group claims theirs is better than the rest. Astrology is no different I guess. Astrologers have told me the flaw of western astrology is, it has not kept up with the precession of the equinoxes and so is rendered increasingly inaccurate through the centuries. The "best" astrology is inherently "precessional" (whatever in the world that means) as is claimed by Indian astrologers but I am uncertain about Chinese astrology.

Of course, my personal view is the mainstream science view and I put no credence in astrology whatsoever.

Jens
2008-Jul-08, 01:35 AM
Honestly, other than the bits about its the Year of Elephant (or whatever), I know nothing about Chinese Astrology.

Elephant... :) Sounds more like Indian or African astrology! (From Wikipedia): rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, and boar. No elephant.

But I definitely agree with the assessment. It's probably ten times more accurate than Western astrology, or ten times less accurate, depending on which way you want to look at it.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-08, 01:58 AM
But on the other hand, new data show Western homeopathic medicines are more powerful than their Chinese counterparts.

Veeger
2008-Jul-08, 02:05 AM
It's probably ten times more accurate than Western astrology, or ten times less accurate, depending on which way you want to look at it.

Good point - probably better to say, some forms of eastern astrology are less inaccurate than western astrology.

:confused:

Jens
2008-Jul-08, 02:23 AM
Good point - probably better to say, some forms of eastern astrology are less inaccurate than western astrology.

:confused:

No, I was just trying to make a lame attempt at humor. Think about, it's both ten times as accurate and ten times less accurate. There is one number for which both statements are true. 10x = x, and x/10 = x.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-08, 03:15 AM
I think which ever makes the least predictions would be the most accurate.

dhd40
2008-Jul-08, 05:26 PM

EXCELLENT! I join YOUR astrology! :)

Sticks
2008-Jul-08, 05:53 PM
Well we did not haver to wait until Sunday

One of the people the astrologer said would be nominated and then evicted from the Big Brother 9 UK house

Is not even up for eviction

Chinese Astrology is Busted

Nick Theodorakis
2008-Jul-08, 06:20 PM

Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nick