PDA

View Full Version : Astro Newbie

Jimm
2008-Jul-08, 03:17 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I enjoy the Podcast. I'm very new to amateur astronomy and after buying a telescope for my 10 year old son I've gotten hooked on it myself. I've looked for other Podcasts to learn more but keep coming back here and digging further into your archive. I don't get to observe as often as I like living in Upstate NY on the South side of Lake Ontario. This would be a great place to study clouds and light pollution but the clear nights are few and far between. Thank god for the bright objects like Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, and of course the Moon.

The scope we decided to start with is Bushnell 100mm Maksutov-Casgraine. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible as I've seen others lose interest quickly with either complicated or cheap telescopes. I've already started doing some research on building my own Dobsonian style scope. I have a good shop and would have little trouble with the bulk of the scope but I'm a little nervous with the optics. I do have a lot of patience and I am surprised at the simplicity of the process. Still, it's new ground for me and I don't think I'll start this process for about a year while I study and learn more.

Lastly, I am looking forward to a week in the Adirondacks mid July and have downloaded a few more podcasts onto my iPod so I can catch up while I'm in the dark. Hopefully I'll be able to see a Nebulae or two as I leave the big city lights behind. Once again, great show Frasier and Pamela, keep up the good work, I'll pass podcast on to my friends for sure.

abo999
2008-Jul-15, 09:35 AM
I've already started doing some research on building my own Dobsonian style scope. I have a good shop and would have little trouble with the bulk of the scope but I'm a little nervous with the optics

Go for it! A guy at my astro society has a home-made dob. The spider is made out of baked bean tins hammered flat and I know for sure that there is some carpet involved in the construction but the images it produces are fantastic!