PDA

View Full Version : Spacecraft Films: Project Gemini

CJSF
2008-Jul-09, 09:20 PM
I've been renting the Spacecraft Films DVDs and have watched the first 2 Gemini discs... #3 is coming up in my Netflix queue... however, most of the 2nd disc was ... well not boring, but a bit much.. I fast forwarded much of it... and I am left wondering, what the heck could be on a THIRD disc? Netflix's description is seriously lacking. If anyone's seen it, could you give me a synopsis so I can decide if I should remove it from my queue or not?

Thanks! I much appreciate it.

CJSF

AGN Fuel
2008-Jul-11, 03:10 AM
I've been renting the Spacecraft Films DVDs and have watched the first 2 Gemini discs... #3 is coming up in my Netflix queue... however, most of the 2nd disc was ... well not boring, but a bit much.. I fast forwarded much of it... and I am left wondering, what the heck could be on a THIRD disc? Netflix's description is seriously lacking. If anyone's seen it, could you give me a synopsis so I can decide if I should remove it from my queue or not?

CJSF

I have it at home. I'll write myself a note to check this out for you over the weekend (my wife will be thrilled!!)

NGCHunter
2008-Jul-11, 07:05 PM
Haha! So I'm not the only one getting in hot water with the wife for renting and watching hours upon hours of "boring" spacecraft films footage?

Jason Thompson
2008-Jul-11, 10:55 PM

CJSF

The third disc contains footage from Gemini VIII -XII. There is some audio with some of it from post-flight press conferences, some of which is quite amusing (particularly Pete Conrad's account of another first for the US space program, as both men dozed off during an EVA...) but most of it is silent, making it not the most exciting thing to sit through.

The thing to bear in mind with all these sets is that they are first and foremost a way of getting the extensive mission footage commercially available. They are not designed to be entertaining presentations.

I have the majority of the Spacecraft Films DVDs, so if you want recommendations or comments on any you are thinking of renting feel free to ask, here on in PM.

CJSF
2008-Jul-12, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Jason. I'm looking forward to the Apollo discs.. i will give Gemini's disc 3 a pass this time 'round.

CJSF

AGN Fuel
2008-Jul-16, 02:19 AM
Thanks, Jason. I'm looking forward to the Apollo discs.. i will give Gemini's disc 3 a pass this time 'round.

CJSF

The quality of the footage in the third disc seems better (as you would expect). I find the really interesting parts of it the post-flight briefings - that is true history.

It's common to gloss over the achievements of the Gemini Project with a simple (for example) "Gemini helped the astronauts perfect space walking", but when you hear someone like Cernan talking about the difficulties he encountered during his EVA, you realise that the process was not an easy one!!

ToSeek
2008-Jul-16, 04:10 AM
The quality of the footage in the third disc seems better (as you would expect). I find the really interesting parts of it the post-flight briefings - that is true history.

It's common to gloss over the achievements of the Gemini Project with a simple (for example) "Gemini helped the astronauts perfect space walking", but when you hear someone like Cernan talking about the difficulties he encountered during his EVA, you realise that the process was not an easy one!!

In a way, Project Mercury was just a demonstration program. Gemini had the first true spaceflights in terms of actually doing things in space. One of the great things about the recent Discovery Channel series about the US space program was that it wasn't the usual Shepard-Glenn-some other not terribly important stuff-Apollo 11 but went into real detail about Project Gemini and its significance.