PDA

View Full Version : Would Somebody Like To Explain What Happened To E.T.?

BigDon
2008-Jul-10, 08:16 AM
This evening I thought I was going to watch E.T. with Boo, who hasn't seen it. Well, she still hasn't seen it. What the hell were we watching that was almost E.T?

Tog
2008-Jul-10, 08:46 AM
Can I buy a vowel?

Are you saying that you rented a movie that you thought was E.T., the one with Drew Barrymore and Henry Thomas, and what you got was something only similar? Or are you saying that you rented the right movie but it was different than you remember?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Paul Beardsley
2008-Jul-10, 09:19 AM
I'm with Tog_ here. This has to be the most mysterious question on BAUT in some time!

Moose
2008-Jul-10, 10:31 AM
Could this have something to do with Spielberg's Lucas-like editing of the film? Most notably the removal of the black-helicopter-agents' guns and replacing them with hand radios.

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-10, 11:26 AM
"Lucas-like editing" : verb; [Luke-a*s laec aed-eat-eeeng]; The act of taking film stock which is ingrained in the collective conscious of a generation and revising it using poorly executed CGI, utterly charlie-foxtroting the soundtrack, and removing skillfully designed model work so that the film resembles the nightmare of every fan you ever had before. Thus rendering (hah! Rendering!) your entire fan base a stunned, disappointed mass of disillusioned people that thought you knew what you were doing.

Swift
2008-Jul-10, 01:38 PM
<spoilers!!>
Well, he got left behind on Earth, he was found by a little boy named Elliott, who helped him build a communication device. He then "phoned home", he got very sick and sort of died, but then he got better and the other ETs rescued him.

Or is that not what you meant by "what happened to ET"? ;)

Gemini
2008-Jul-10, 02:06 PM
I thought the ET burned up on reentry after being jettisoned.

Wait...
THAT E.T., Gotcha.

Jason
2008-Jul-10, 03:10 PM
You know, the DVD of E.T. that I have has both the original cut and the slightly re-worked version, on seperate discs. I can watch whichever I prefer.

Moose
2008-Jul-10, 03:29 PM
Robot Chicken had a very good, if slighly nsfBAUT, interpretation of the ET movie somewhere in Season 2. It turns out ET's name is Kleeborp, and he's his species equivalent of Forrest Gump, except he makes Forrest Gump seem very literate and articulate. The jocks at his high school demonstrate their lack of anything worthwhile to do by abducting the very slowest kids (aka, Kleeborp) and stranding them naked on random planets.

BigDon
2008-Jul-10, 05:13 PM
It was on tv last night on TBS. I don't recall nearly as many cartoon sequences in it as was evidenced by last night's showing. The CGI "graphics" were so obvious I had to turn it off after the bathtub scene. Played Halo instead. I even made popcorn for the show.

Lotus hit the nail squarely on the head.

Thanks Lotus

Daffy
2008-Jul-10, 05:47 PM
Robot Chicken had a very good, if slighly nsfBAUT, interpretation of the ET movie somewhere in Season 2. It turns out ET's name is Kleeborp, and he's his species equivalent of Forrest Gump, except he makes Forrest Gump seem very literate and articulate. The jocks at his high school demonstrate their lack of anything worthwhile to do by abducting the very slowest kids (aka, Kleeborp) and stranding them naked on random planets.

Reminds me of a great line in "Spaced Invaders":

"They're not evil, they're just...stupid."

Moose
2008-Jul-10, 08:37 PM
Daffy, I have a tshirt (from ThinkGeek, I think) with Space Invaders, two of which are talking about how exited they are to get to meet the Humans and give them knowledge and technology. The caption reads: "Such an unfortunate misunderstanding."

KaiYeves
2008-Jul-10, 08:41 PM
I thought the ET burned up on reentry after being jettisoned.
Hahahahahaha!

Tog
2008-Jul-11, 07:37 AM
Could this have something to do with Spielberg's Lucas-like editing of the film? Most notably the removal of the black-helicopter-agents' guns and replacing them with hand radios.

They did that?

And in something even more odd. Mention of this same thing appeared in my game forum tonight. I hadn't seen it since probably 1983 (or around then), so I didn't know it had been changed.

Moose
2008-Jul-11, 01:24 PM
They did that?

'Fraid so.

And in something even more odd. Mention of this same thing appeared in my game forum tonight. I hadn't seen it since probably 1983 (or around then), so I didn't know it had been changed.

Yeah, it's fairly common knowledge. It got changed when Spielburg did that re-release a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken (and it's likely I am), the theatrical re-release of ET happened the same month Revenge of the Sith came out.

Daffy
2008-Jul-11, 02:22 PM
Daffy, I have a tshirt (from ThinkGeek, I think) with Space Invaders, two of which are talking about how exited they are to get to meet the Humans and give them knowledge and technology. The caption reads: "Such an unfortunate misunderstanding."

LOL! Gotta get one...

Tuckerfan
2008-Jul-12, 09:36 PM
For some reason this thread title caused me to picture a bunch of doctors gathered around E.T., shoving large objects up his anus and shouting, "How do you like that? Its not so fun when it happens to you, is it?" :D

JustAFriend
2008-Jul-13, 03:44 AM
I got a huge laugh out of the "Robot Chicken" episode where E.T. goes home and you find out he was just one of the 'special' kids of his kind....

http://fliiby.com/file/5313/zgvms2hlf0.html

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-13, 06:48 AM
I have to say that I do like South Park's take on this. Mostly because the CGI walkie-talkies (which replaced the military's guns in the original version of E.T.) still fire bullets. :)

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-13, 10:00 AM
<spoilers!!>
Well, he got left behind on Earth, he was found by a little boy named Elliott, who helped him build a communication device. He then "phoned home", he got very sick and sort of died, but then he got better and the other ETs rescued him.

Or is that not what you meant by "what happened to ET"? ;)

Hahahahaha! :lol: