PDA

View Full Version : your hitchiking experience..good fun,eh!..I know!.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 12:12 AM
for me I have only met nice people, no problems...the only problems I have had is getting stranded,**** weather...being broke! I have enjoyed all my hitchhiking experience..I was just emailing someone, he picked me up once and we became good friends...considering most of the time you never see them again once you've been dropped off as you know!

NZ is nice place for hitchiking and I can understand why tourist fall love with this place... I must hitchike back down to Queenstown...thats a fun place!!

I say thanks to all the people I have come across with my hitchhiking adventures..I love ya!

SO WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES...crazy drivers perhaps?..getting caught in the rain...you leave your camera in the car(done that...not good at all)...you know what I mean...or on the other hand some attractive lady picks ya up.

Hitch hiking..I LOVE IT..it's an adventure!

Paul

billslugg
2008-Jul-16, 12:42 AM
Well, lets see. There was the produce truck driver in Rutland, VT who wanted to know if I wanted to make $5.

Then there was the guy in Harrisburg who asked me for oil money. 60 seconds later the engine seized up.

And the guy in Manhattan who wanted to take me back to his apartment to "see his library".

And the guy in Central PA who had taken the handle off of the inside of the passenger side door.

Then the time in State College, PA when a caravan of about 10 old buses stopped. It was the "Children of God". I was subjected to some hilarious brain washing attempts.

Most of the people who picked me up were decent folk who usually went out of their way to deliver me where I needed to go.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-16, 12:55 AM
I was walking down the drag (Street with a lot of shops) one time and a buddy passed by in his car and shouted, "Go get 'em!" or some such encouragement...
In appreciation, I gave the thumbs up sign.

Sadly, this was misinterpreted by another passing motorist who obligingly slammed on the brakes and in a cloud of burned rubber, nearly caused an accident in getting to the shoulder.

Twenty miles later, I worked up the nerve to ask my British TransVestite driver where exactly... uhh... it... was taking me.
I think he had a speech impediment and that, on top of his thick accent, made it hard to understand his answer, but I caught the words:
Butterflies
Buffalo
and Bill...

I didn't hesitate for a moment and quietly pulled a can opener out of my pocket and got to work on the door.
It's a good thing years in the Army taught me the patience of opening stubborn tins.

50 miles later I had managed to make a hole I could squeeze through.
I pointed fearfully in the opposite direction and cried, "What's THAT?!?!" and when he was distracted in looking to see what "that" was, I compressed my skull, popped my arms out of their sockets and slithered through the 6 inch wide hole I had created.

40 feet of bouncing later, I scrambled into the brushes and made gorilla sounds until he frightfully left lest the Gorilla spot him in his tutu and take a fancy.

I don't like to talk about it much, as it was harrowing and a very narrow escape indeed. But I have never hitchhiked again. Nor gave the thumbs up sign. In fact, I walk with my hands in my pockets.

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-16, 01:01 AM
Got picked up once by a carload of glue sniffers. Got out at the next light!

My "scariest" moment, I wasn't even hitching. I was driving down the road, minding my own business. I stopped at a light and the next thing I know, some guy is opening the passenger door and starting to climb in! Fortunately, I was first in line, so I dropped the clutch and left him standing there holding air. He was probably harmless, but opening somebody's door and climbing in uninvited does not make a good first impression!

Neverfly
2008-Jul-16, 01:08 AM
My "scariest" moment, I wasn't even hitching. I was driving down the road, minding my own business. I stopped at a light and the next thing I know, some guy is opening the passenger door and starting to climb in! Fortunately, I was first in line, so I dropped the clutch and left him standing there holding air. He was probably harmless, but opening somebody's door and climbing in uninvited does not make a good first impression!

(Truth this time...)
I had this exact same thing happen to me.
I was downtown at the light on Fifth street, right before it intersects with IH-35.
Someone opened the passenger door side and got in before I realized what was happening... I looked at him stunned and he said, "Say, what up? Whatcha lookin' for man?"
Easy guess as to what he was thinking and trying to do...
I don't have any tolerance for such things and my response seemed adequate for him to exit the vehicle in about .45 seconds.

Along the same line, I have had plumbing calls in various "bad neighborhoods" in Austin, where I would pull up and park in front of the house on the street, and sure enough a specific sort of lady would be trying to get in (thinking I had stopped and parked there for her.)
One time, off East St. Johns, one actually caught me off guard and hopped in my truck while I was writing out the invoice. I was caught off guard because I had already noticed the Police car parked behind a nearby building and really did not expect that kind of brashness. I didn't even bother saying anything. Just got out, walked to the passenger side, opened the door, took her by the arm and almost dragged her out of my truck. Slammed the door (locked) and went back around to the drivers side while she yelled obscenities and walked off. As I went back to my invoice, I noticed the cop across the street howling and beating on his steering wheel with laughter.

ginnie
2008-Jul-16, 01:23 AM
I think hitchhiking in North America - even here in Canada - has been very risky and dangerous for , oh the past forty years or so. You can't really trust the driver, too many bad things have happened to people who did.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 01:34 AM
hitchiking in Kiwi is quite good...for me when I jump into a car (I have had hundreds of rides) I use my intuition and observe the persons body language..and mentally record the license plate..

there have been isolated incidents in NZ but very rare

So I try to be careful...but still you never know

PL

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-16, 01:34 AM
See, this is one of the reasons I don't mind not having power locks. Every door but mine is always locked unless someone got into the car before we left.

Lianachan
2008-Jul-16, 01:35 AM
Despite living for most of my life in what's probably just about as safe a haven for hitchhikers as there is, it's something I've never done and probably would not ever do. I really like walking, even for (quite) long distances.

See, this is one of the reasons I don't mind not having power locks. Every door but mine is always locked unless someone got into the car before we left.
My car automatically locks all the doors once it starts doing at least 6mph, and automatically unlocks them all again if the drivers door is opened from the inside. Although you can still lock/unlock them manually, of course. Pretty cool safety feature, though. The bad guys (if there were any) can't get in, and the kids can't leap out.

ozzmosis
2008-Jul-17, 05:51 PM
i have hitched a few rides in my time, and all were safe ones, but this guy one time picked me up and was drinking beer, i got to were i was going safe but i did watch the wheel alot incase he did drive off the road, ..

Nick Theodorakis
2008-Jul-17, 06:33 PM
I never hitchhiked, but I've picked up a few people now and then.

I think the most memorable incident was late one night (around 11-ish) soon after I moved to suburban Maryland (1989). I was coming back from a housewarming party for someone who had just moved to Philadelphia, so I was tired and eager to get home and get to bed. I was passing a large outdoor concert venue (Merriweather Post, for those who know the area) and I noticed a couple of people in the road trying to flag down cars. I stopped to see what was up, and my car door opened and two obviously drunk young women -- girls, really, they couldn't have been more than 16 or 17 -- jumped in my car.

Well, drunk, or not, they were pretty scared of something and explained that they just left a Stevie Nicks concert and some guy was chasing them and if I could drive them to a place where the mother of one of them was working. I didn't feel right about dumping them out, so I said ok, and they gave me the name of a bar. I inquired about the location of the establishment, and one of them slurred "Highlandtown" (an area of Baltimore). Actually, I didn't really understand what word they said, because, first of all, they were drunk, and second, they had a very strong Baltimore ("Bawlimer") working-class accent, so to me it sounded more like "Hollenten."

I explained I didn't know where that was, so they said it was by Greektown (I knew where that was) so I turned the car around and started driving in toward the city, figuring I would get better directions when I got close. However, on the way, the girl in the front seat slumped over and passed out in my lap. The one in the back leaned back and started snoring. At first, I thought, "I hope they don't throw up in my car," and then I thought, "I hope even more I don't get pulled over for something." I could see myself trying to explain, "Gee officer, about those two underage drunk girls in my car -- funny story..."

When I got into the city, I found a gas station still open, and with (I hoped) nobody around to notice my human cargo, and was able to get directions. I pulled up by the bar, and I was able to rouse the girl in the back. She pulled her friend out of the front seat, telling her that her mom was going to be really angry. I thought about helping them inside, then decided that one thing a mother doesn't want to hear from a strange man at midnight is "sorry about your daughter."

Nick

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jul-17, 06:50 PM
Did a couple major trips; one from Chicago to Sturgis and one from Chicago to Mardi Gars. Thumbed back and forth between Chicago and St.Cloud MN a few times. Alnwick (England) to Inverness and beyond in a very meandering tour of northern England and Scotland. And lots of little trips here and there.

Haven't done it since the 80's though; and wouldn't do it again as just a casual or planned means of travel. Too many crazies out there.

Lots of fun experiences and stories to tell:

<> Accidentally burned a good sized field of wheat outside of Mitchell South Dakota. Confessed to it, but the police weren't buying it. Don't think they wanted the paperwork. "Why don't you just keep on moving down the highway son, and we'll take care of things here."
<> Camped on the very peak of the tallest hill in The Black Hills of South Dakota - - during a very nasty thunderstorm.
<> Weaving down the interstate at 40MPH with a drunk with a nasty head wound that he said his wife inflicted with a hammer.
<> Did the phantom hitchhiker bit after talking a guy into picking up a friend I had split up with several hours earlier.
<> Went to Mardi Gras with $32 in my pocket and no place to stay. One of my best vacations ever.
<> Ended up doing farm chores for a gentlemen outside of Alnwick in return for a ride. I should have known when one of the first things he said was "You look like a strong lad." A couple hours later I'm pounding fence posts with a sledge. Great stuff though because he took me on a tour and gave me the history, and a couple very good meals.
<> Hiked the Cheviot; in the rain of course. I have bad luck when it comes to rain and climbing hills.
<> Couldn't buy a drink in the rural pubs. Everybody wanted to meet and chat with the footloose Yankee. Never had so many people buy me so many drinks.
<> Had people throw stuff at me a couple times. Kinda scary.

Lots of good times, some of which I've forgotten. But I would not recommend it in the US nowadays to anyone.

Click Ticker
2008-Jul-17, 08:49 PM
Young and ignorant. I was leaving a pool hall with some friends. We held a regular bible study back then and I was feeling particularly "Christian" like so I couldn't pass up an opportunity to do a good deed. This lady approached the hall and said her car broke down and she needed a ride home. I'm thinking, "Yippee, good deed time". So I say, "Sure, I can give you a ride". She gives me directions, which I follow. I don't really have much to say at this point. She taps me on the arm and asks if I was looking for a good time. Needless to say, a lightbulb went off in my head and so I responded, "No, thank you. I just had a good time shooting pool. I'm all set." By an odd coincidence, we arrived at her stop at that very moment. Go figure.

hhEb09'1
2008-Jul-17, 10:01 PM
I think hitchhiking in North America - even here in Canada - has been very risky and dangerous for , oh the past forty years or so. You can't really trust the driver, too many bad things have happened to people who did.Yes, almost as dangerous as the meteor showers :)

I've hitchhiked Montana to Mexico, Colorado to Kentucky. Through and in Denver, Alburquerque, Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, Kansas City, Des Moine, Lincoln, Cheyenne, El Paso.

One time, I was picked up by a nice elderly couple out for an afternoon drive. They had no business picking up a ragged hitchhiker. I told them the story about a friend of my little brother who was found in California with finger bones in his pockets, of the guy who'd picked him up in Montana. They probably never picked up anyone again.

geonuc
2008-Jul-17, 10:15 PM
I was walking down the drag (Street with a lot of shops)

Gwad-a-loop?

I don't like to talk about it much, as it was harrowing and a very narrow escape indeed.

I'll say - through a six inch hole. Very narrow indeed. Did you consider using the door handle?

Neverfly
2008-Jul-17, 10:30 PM
Gwad-a-loop?
Geonuc! I had no idea you've suffered Austinites before...

Yes, that's how they say it. They also say San Jah-sinto instead of Sahn Haceento too...
Ugh.

I'll say - through a six inch hole. Very narrow indeed. Did you consider using the door handle?
DANG IT!!!!!!111
If only you had told me EARLIER!!!11

geonuc
2008-Jul-17, 10:50 PM
UT Austin, 1980-84. :)

We have a street here that the locals pronounce Ponce da LEE-on (Ponce de Leon). Fortunately, most of us Atlanteans can just call it Ponce.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-17, 11:10 PM
UT Austin, 1980-84. :)

We have a street here that the locals pronounce Ponce da LEE-on (Ponce de Leon). Fortunately, most of us Atlanteans can just call it Ponce.

Ahhh, I hate you:neutral:

But if it helps, I hate CrossCountry too.

UT Austin has a great physics school. I literally turn green with envy...

One thing Kids!
Don't be like me!

I LONG for an education. Like the desert thirsts for rain. I've spent ten years now struggling to get everything in order with school- only to have to fall back on trades repeatedly to make ends meet.
I look at my son and I'm almost becoming a "football dad" in which I'm starting to transfer my own goals and dreams over to him.

He ASKS to stay up late some nights so we can go stargazing.

I know he can exceed me in all respects. And I'm trying to inspire him with the desire to excel NOW, while it can be made into a habit. I hope it holds...

I got out of High School with no family to fall back on really- Nothing more than the shirt on my back.
I was scared that if I went to school, I would fail to be able to PAY for it.
Now, I look at my friends who have a college education who are making double, triple, quadruple even my annual salary and all I can tell myself is , "STUPID! Stupid stupid stupid!"

I drive by UT with my face hanging out the window with my tongue flapping in the wind like Doggie.http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/105.gif

geonuc
2008-Jul-17, 11:20 PM
Would it help knowing that I dropped out of UT after four years (I was on the 'use up my five years of GI Bill' program)?

Spent too much time on the tennis court.

It's never too late though. I finished my degree elsewhere later on and even got two more, the latest just in 2005 when I was almost 50.

And after all that, I dearly want to be a technician again. :(

This has nothing to do with hitchhiking, but the OP is no longer around to complain about thread-hijacking.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-17, 11:24 PM
This has nothing to do with hitchhiking, but the OP is no longer around to complain about thread-hijacking.

Make it Thread - Hitch Hiking.

;)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-17, 11:35 PM
Would it help knowing that I dropped out of UT after four years (I was on the 'use up my five years of GI Bill' program)?

Spent too much time on the tennis court.

It's never too late though. I finished my degree elsewhere later on and even got two more, the latest just in 2005 when I was almost 50.

And after all that, I dearly want to be a technician again. :(

We can thread hitchhijack for a month or so:p

No, it doesn't help. Because I'm not jealous in the way that I want someone else to Not Go to school- but jealous in that I wanna go too;)
I'm reminded of
who was it?
Bing Crosby? In "High Time."

Didn't Dave Thomas do something similar?

geonuc
2008-Jul-17, 11:47 PM
Bing Crosby? You dropped a Bing Crosby reference? You are beyond your years, my friend. Well done. :)

geonuc
2008-Jul-17, 11:48 PM
Make it Thread - Hitch Hiking.

;)
That works for me. :)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-17, 11:55 PM
Bing Crosby? You dropped a Bing Crosby reference? You are beyond your years, my friend. Well done. :)

I'm actually an old man trapped in a young mans body.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-18, 12:08 AM
I'm actually an old man trapped in a young mans body.

:D

hhEb09'1
2008-Jul-18, 12:10 AM
Probably beats a young man trapped in an old man's body, but I'm not sure :)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-18, 12:14 AM
Probably beats a young man trapped in an old man's body, but I'm not sure :)

No, those get rich and marry young babes.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-18, 12:32 AM
No, those get rich and marry young babes.

So if
old man trapped in a young mans body.

.. those get poor and marry old babes..

:D :D

Neverfly
2008-Jul-18, 12:50 AM
So if

.. those get poor and marry old babes..

:D :D

LOL Hmmm:think:

Quality over quantity?
Part of age is wisdom:p

RalofTyr
2008-Jul-18, 05:32 AM
I don't pick up or hitch hike. It's just too dangerous. A lot of homeless people see me in my truck and want a ride (some I do know). One guy asked me if I could give him a lift to the local dry river bed (A mile a way) I said,"No, in a hurry". Seriously, he could walk that. I could. So could he.

There was that time I got into the car of a drugged out producer in Hollywood. I showed him where the bar was he was looking for. Note, I did just finish a whole bottle of wine before that.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-18, 05:41 AM
Hitch Hiking isn't also observed here.
I haven't seen any one here standing in the highway waiting for a ride.

It's because we have PUV's here , Jeepneys & Buses .

:p

pzkpfw
2008-Jul-18, 06:00 AM
Have had some odd experiences, and slept under a bush, but mostly I had stuff like:

10 p.m. pitch black in a cold part of the country in winter.

About to get out the sleeping bag and sleep in a kids school-bus shelter (corrugated tin three sided small box).

One last car comes past and I give it a go. He picks me up - local farmer off to check a gate. Then he turns around and takes me to his place in the town I'd just walked out of.

His wife gave me a plate of hot food, he gave me a 750ml bottle of homemade beer. I slept on a spare bed in his kids' room.

I woke next morning to an empty house. No idea where they were. Church? Farm? Dunno.

They just left me to sleep, in an unlocked unguarded house, to make my way when I woke up and was ready.

Very trusting people. (I'm an honest, decent guy, but in those days I don't think I would have looked it to anyone except out in the country...)

Still, I don't hitch any more. More fun to ride my Motorcycle (or just drive and guarantee being warm and dry).