PDA

View Full Version : what would you do if you had 24hrs to live??

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 01:09 AM
Interesting question!..(because chances are you haven't thought about it!)..this is HYPOTHETICAL!

I would tell my friends and family how much I love them. I am helping to make a documentary,so I need to do that, I would pay my respects to a police colleague who was killed in duty last week..his funeral is today,I would read my book on german aircraft(experimental) that I am currently reading,I would goto Burger King! I would tell my associate I cannot cut firewood on Saturday because I am not going to be around..I would watch a DVD that I got from last week..The Thing(1950's) I haven't see it yet!
Also I am helping with another KiwiingenuityExpo so I need to to that...a little bit goes a long way!

I would just carry on as usual if I had 24 hrs to live

But anyway my lifes going well

check out my signature

have a positive day!

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAD 24 HOURS TO LIVE...BECAUSE RIGHT NOW YOUR LIFE IS GETTING SHORTER!

PL

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-16, 01:16 AM
Check out my signature!

Since a year ago when my brother was told, just before I underwent emergency surgery, that I had a 30% chance of waking up, I think about it every day! My sig is there to remind me.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 01:40 AM
Kaptain K

Good it's given you a "kick"

Paul

Chuck
2008-Jul-16, 02:14 AM
I'd go out in style by starting my "Which religious denomination would make the worst congressmen?" poll.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-16, 02:15 AM
...a police colleague...So you're a cop then, too?
...Also I am helping with another Kiwiingenuity Expo...Les'see now...before you told us:
Recently I ran (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/76371-kiwingenuity-expo-may-2008-a.html) the Kiwiingenuity Expo...and
I am a kiwi and held (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/76440-who-do-you-think-first-fly.html) the Kiwiingenuity/Inventor Next Door Expo...http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon5.gifhttp://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon4.gif

Oh---but you only have 24 hours...that explains it. :doh:

Romanus
2008-Jul-16, 02:16 AM
Give my love to my friends and family, then read a lot.

Yeah, I'm pretty boring even when it's down to the wire.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-16, 02:20 AM
Sit around all day trying to figure out what to do.

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 02:25 AM
No Sarongsong I was a Police Volunteer and I still keep in touch regularly,as for the Kiwiingenuity Expo/Inventor Next Door I gave you the details in the thread...the old website is a photo of me in the gallery..I am currently helping to make another expo with John Poppleton,did you bother to look at the old website or even the thread??obviously NOT!

Paul

sarongsong
2008-Jul-16, 02:32 AM
Oh, but I did---that's where the confusion sets in. You in a group picture from 4 years ago, not being on their membership list, no mention of you in the new UNFINISHED website---leads me to believe you are trying to steal John Poppleton's thunder---the whole thing is his baby; not yours, as you would lead us to believe. :)
Why do you do that?

aurora
2008-Jul-16, 02:35 AM
I think I would use lots of extra punctuation!!

steve000
2008-Jul-16, 02:43 AM
I was a Police Volunteer

Paul

soz for being a slow git but you mean you don't get paid for it?...

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 03:00 AM
It is HIS baby...but he never presented it I DID!What I did was help put the thing together..the event and presented the expo to 3500 visitors in May 2008..I have been involved since about 2003 with this organisation...and my involvement with it is private,everyone involved with it does confidentialty agreements..for me it's been a very interesting experience!

You sound like a conspiracy theorist and I can't be bothered with conspiracy types I have more important things to do... my 24 hours is getting shorter!! and so is yours...what would you do if you had 24 hours to live Sarongsong!!

Peace Sarongsong!

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 03:12 AM
Yep! thats right I didn't get paid for it, in NZ we have Volunteer Fire Brigade as well,as a Police Volunteer,Porirua and Christchurch(?) you don't do investigative work,you just help out in the office..when the cops are out you take messages or you do filing jobs...and yes you come across flies about people that you know,and they don't know that you know!thats all I want to say and yes I know whats on their computers,interesting stuff I was at the office yesterday( I am no longer with the police) but I made some good friends out of it and regularly keep in touch...a local cop was killed last week laying roadspikes he was a nice guy..but its the nature of the job,his funeral is today,I won't be going because I have other things to do,but my heart is there!

Paul

steve000
2008-Jul-16, 03:16 AM
You sound like a conspiracy theorist

Err.. no...

I didn't read any further.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-16, 04:06 AM
...my involvement with it is private, everyone involved with it does confidentialty agreements...Then why is there a Members List, and, if there is a confidentiality agreement, how are you allowed to break it by saying you are involved?
You sound like a conspiracy theorist...I can't be bothered with conspiracy types I have more important things to do...what would you do if you had 24 hours to live sarongsong?You have "more important things", remember? :)

But, since you asked; I would play (in) Traffic (http://www.lyrics007.com/Traffic%20Lyrics/Low%20Spark%20Of%20High-heeled%20Boys%20Lyrics.html):
...If you had just a minute to breathe
and they granted you one final wish
would you ask for something, like another chance..."...and in reincarnation, come back as myself again". (http://www.mp3lyrics.org/p/phoebe-snow/it-must-be-sunday/) http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Paul Leeks
2008-Jul-16, 04:25 AM
Sarongsong I an not expressing myself very well, but it's good to see those smiles..it's reassuring!!

with Kiwiingenuity confideniality is imperative because of peoples ideas,finance,blood sweat and tears

reincarnation..OK what would you have done better? what would you not do?
what would you do again!..makes you think huh?I am just as human as YOU!

Saronsong (did you get my email??...it's ATTITUDE which is most important!

Anyway take care

(I am trying to be nice) well I am a nice guy!try to be!!

Paul

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-16, 05:00 AM
Sell all my stuffs and fly to Texas.

:neutral:

and die there.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-16, 05:12 AM
Sell all my stuffs and fly to Texas.

:neutral:

and die there.

Gee, thanks... Make your corpse OUR problem...

Musashi
2008-Jul-16, 06:45 AM
I would attempt to steal the "new topic" button.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-16, 05:46 PM
I'd spend the first three hours talking with my son, my parents, siblings, close relatives, and close friends. Then, I'd get some sleep. The next day, I'd hop in my truck and drive to the French Alps, where I'd set up camp, eat the tastiest meal I could, enjoy the beauty, the fresh air, and marvel at it all.

BigDon
2008-Jul-16, 06:10 PM
Sorry folks, like the good Kaptain, I've been there, done that.

The reality is if you have 24 hours to live, unless you are going to be executed, you are probably so sick you are afraid you WON'T die. I've been that sick. Liver quit doing its liverly duties. An utterly miserable way to go I might add. My personal physician for the previous six years came in to my room looking "uncomfortable" and I went from being "Don" to being "Mr. (my last name) " Said as of my last blood test my liver had quit altogether. Now from seeing guys catch too much radar energy in accidents in the Navy I knew that meant *maybe* 8 hours and said as much and Dr. Tempesta said, "probably more like six" went into a coma 4 hours later and woke up (unexpectedly, by all parties) two hours after that with my liver creeping back.

I can't explain it, but I don't apologize for not dying as expected. I remember being angry at surviving because that meant I am going to have to go through this again some time in the future. And I felt horribly guilty about thinking that for a long time. Been twelve extra years now. I try to be more helpful than harmful to the world as a whole.

Ilya
2008-Jul-16, 06:57 PM
I can't explain it, but I don't apologize for not dying as expected.
Why the hell would you need to apologize? You ought to be celebrated!

As for OP, I can think of only four situations where you KNOW you have 24 hours to live:

1. You are terminally ill.

2. You are about to be executed.

3. You are trapped somewhere with a limited air supply.

4. You are in a desert with no water.

In (1) I will probably be too sick to do much of anything except kiss my loved ones. Contrary to the movie "Phenomenon", someone hours before dying from brain cancer is not in position to make love -- or to drive to French Alps.

In (3) and (4) the answer is: to the last second do my damnedest to find a way out of the situation, or at least prolong my life in case rescue shows up.

In (2): more or less the same if I think I have ANY chance to get out of it. If not, make things as difficult for the executioners as possible. If I manage to bite someone's throat out, I would die with a smile.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-16, 08:40 PM
...I am not expressing myself very well...sarongsong (did you get my email?...it's ATTITUDE which is most important!...In the event you are still able to read this; yes, I did get your Personal Message in which you confirmed your "ATTITUDE" towards BAUT members, as reflected in your last (http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/76554-faster-than-speed-light.html#post1283537) (for a month at least) BAUT post.

Fledermaus
2008-Jul-16, 09:12 PM
Well no one said what was going to kill you!
I have done the been there and life is sweet, so I would like to think if Im not so ill I can say goodby to my family and get on my fireblade collect my love and head for Scottland to a log cabin in the Highlands. Tear up the roads and break all the speed limits, collecting as many points on my liscence as I can to make a record.
Then retire to the log cabin with a big grin on my face!
I would enjoy my loves company and also the wonderful solitude of the highlands until night fall then watch the heavens, drinking in the night air and sounds wishing it was for ever until I was gone.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-16, 09:57 PM
Why the hell would you need to apologize? You ought to be celebrated!

As for OP, I can think of only four situations where you KNOW you have 24 hours to live:...

5. You have just received enough radiation to cook your goose.

6. The turbopump on your retros is stuck and you're coming in too steep, but won't burn up for another 24 hrs.

7. You've been poisened (intentionally or accidentally) by something for which there is no known antidote.

8. You've chosen to take the low road...

9. Tunguska's mother is headed your way and boy is she ticked!

10. You've stolen from the mob and know that it's only a matter of time before they locate you.

Osimir
2008-Jul-16, 11:11 PM
hump like mad

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-16, 11:25 PM
welcome aboard, Osimir. Please read the rules. Certain subjects are forbidden and double entendres are frowned upon. :naughty:

Jens
2008-Jul-17, 03:03 AM
7. You've been poisened (intentionally or accidentally) by something for which there is no known antidote.
[QUOTE]

Unfortunately, unlike the scenario in DOA, you don't live healthily until the last moments before you die.

[QUOTE=mugaliens;1284127]

This is the one that makes most sense. Or for some reason, we know that a nearby star has gone hypernova, and there is absolutely nothing we can do. Or they just turned on the Hadron supercollider, and a black hole began to form. :) The earth will be torn to shreads in 24 hours. Of course, this scenario also entails, "Yes, we'll all go together..." But anyway, that makes the most sense as a scenario for the OP.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-17, 04:17 AM
Unfortunately, unlike the scenario in DOA, you don't live healthily until the last moments before you die.

Because you are squeezing the time left where all of what you haven't done is on the To-Do-Within24Hour -List .

Ilya
2008-Jul-17, 12:34 PM
5. You have just received enough radiation to cook your goose.

6. The turbopump on your retros is stuck and you're coming in too steep, but won't burn up for another 24 hrs.

8. You've chosen to take the low road...

10. You've stolen from the mob and know that it's only a matter of time before they locate you.

Numbers 5 and 7 are subcategories of my number 1.

With number 10 you can not possibly KNOW you have 24 hours. Mob enforcers might locate you within an hour. It might take them three days. Either way, logical thing to do is run, hide, bribe -- WORK to save your life, however unlikely.

You are right about numbers 6 and 10. Those are unique.

Number 8 -- I do not know what it means. Chosen to commit suicide? In that case you "have 24 hours to live" only if you CHOOSE to. You can change your mind at any time.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-17, 06:43 PM
True, Ilya, and I didn't mean to be morose. Just running through the ideas...

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jul-17, 07:07 PM
Depends on the expected cause of my death. Am I diseased, about to have a nasty accident, or really old and feeble and simply at the end of the line?

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jul-17, 07:17 PM
As for OP, I can think of only four situations where you KNOW you have 24 hours to live:

1. You are terminally ill.

2. You are about to be executed.

3. You are trapped somewhere with a limited air supply.

4. You are in a desert with no water.

How about being in freefall and too close to the ground for a parachute deployment to do any good?

How about being manacled and chained to a humongous and heavy object in deep water? (I suppose that one would fit under the limited air supply situation).

Jens
2008-Jul-18, 06:11 AM
How about being in freefall and too close to the ground for a parachute deployment to do any good?

Somehow, 24 hours seems like an awfully long fall.

How about being manacled and chained to a humongous and heavy object in deep water? (I suppose that one would fit under the limited air supply situation).

Same.

Actually, I thought of another, quite realistic situation. Suppose you were like Yukio Mishima (the writer) and had decided that you would commit suicide when you turned 40. And the day had come.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-18, 06:44 AM
Actually, I thought of another, quite realistic situation. Suppose you were like Yukio Mishima (the writer) and had decided that you would commit suicide when you turned 40. And the day had come.

That's what procrastination is for.

Ilya
2008-Jul-18, 01:28 PM

If you have 24 hours to fall, I suspect you will run out of air first!

Yes, that certainly counts as "trapped somewhere with a limited air supply".

Ilya
2008-Jul-18, 01:29 PM
Suppose you were like Yukio Mishima (the writer) and had decided that you would commit suicide when you turned 40. And the day had come.

Since I am over 40 already, it does not apply! :D

RalofTyr
2008-Jul-18, 08:42 PM
If I only had 24 hours to live, I'd spend my time figuring out how to get 25 hours or more to live.

Jens
2008-Jul-19, 11:07 AM
Since I am over 40 already, it does not apply! :D

I'm safe too. :)

Chuck
2008-Jul-19, 03:20 PM
I was going to end my life at 40 but decided to wait until the 21st century so my robot maid could clean up the mess.

Paul Beardsley
2008-Jul-19, 03:30 PM
I'd invest in an unsuccessful company. Heck, I wouldn't have to face the disappointment of seeing my shares drop in value. Heck, my investment might even save the company! Which would be great news if I had a last minute reprieve.

SkepticJ
2008-Jul-20, 02:25 AM
I'd take all my money to Amsterdam and spend it in various ways.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-20, 12:24 PM
I'd take all my money to Amsterdam and spend it in various ways.

And die there too?

SeanF
2008-Jul-21, 04:34 PM
Wait a second....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU HAD 24 HOURS TO LIVE?
Are you suggesting I don't?!

SkepticJ
2008-Jul-22, 06:51 AM
And die there too?

Why not? Medical students in the Netherlands need bodies too. Besides, I'd have 24 hours, what else could I possibly do? Debauchery takes time.

mike alexander
2008-Jul-22, 07:02 AM
I think it would be cool to do a play-by-play of the whole thing. Be my own color commentator. Or better yet, find some nimrod and convince him that when I die the whole world will end.

Hey. What if it does?

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-22, 10:06 AM
Why not? Medical students in the Netherlands need bodies too. Besides, I'd have 24 hours, what else could I possibly do? Debauchery takes time.

You have a point . :think:

I want to donate all of my organs ( eyes, lungs, liver, kidney, heart) to those in need .

At least my body will not be put to waste but helped the sickly.

;)