PDA

View Full Version : Mission for Canon EOS 400D owners

bloodhound31
2008-Jul-16, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I have a special mission for anyone with a Canon EOS 400D (AKA Rebel)DSLR and a standard 18-55 Lens.

I am writing an article on light pollution.

All I need is a photo from the capital cities listed below.
I will choose from several submissions if anyone is interested.

Please PM me with your interest and I will provide image capture parameters.

I will publish the link address to the completed article on the forums, with image credits listed for those chosen.

Cities in random order:

Sydney
Tokyo
New York
London
Moscow
Beijing
Paris
Berlin
Cairo
Singapore
New Delhi
Buenos Aires
Copenhagen
Athens
Rome
Baghdad
Wellington (NZ)
Abu Dhabi
Washington D.C.

Cheers,

Baz.

chrissy
2008-Jul-17, 09:33 PM
I don't know if this has worked !
This is Singapore the picture was taken 21st of May 2008 between 9pm and 10pm, but the camera was a samsung! :) The hotel I think was the Park Royal.

bloodhound31
2008-Jul-17, 09:45 PM
I don't know if this has worked !
This is Singapore the picture was taken 21st of May 2008 between 9pm and 10pm, but the camera was a samsung! :) The hotel I think was the Park Royal.

Thanks Chrissy,

very nice picture, but unfortunately not from the right camera so I can't use it.

Thank you very much anyway, PM sent to you.

Cheers,

Baz.

chrissy
2008-Jul-17, 09:55 PM
Thanks and recieved.
I will try to get the camera required. :)

clear skies

chrissy

Tinaa
2008-Jul-18, 07:01 AM
Moved to OTB from Astrophotography. More people read OTB so maybe bloodhound31 will get more help.

Jay200MPH
2008-Jul-18, 08:35 AM
If you want to donate me the camera, I'll happily grab you as many pics of Berlin as you want. :D

- J

bloodhound31
2008-Jul-19, 02:18 PM
Wow, sounds like iron curtain economics to me.....:lol:

Seriously, I am suprised at how little response I have had on this request. There are so many Canon owners out there in astronomy circles, and light pollution is a big issue for all of us!

C'mon people, all I am asking for is a 30 second exposure.....:boohoo:

BigDon
2008-Jul-19, 06:33 PM
Well, you didn't want my city!

Extravoice
2008-Jul-19, 06:50 PM
<nitpick>

New York isn't a capital city, although many New Yorkers consider it the center of the universe. :)

</nitpick>

BigDon
2008-Jul-19, 07:12 PM
<nitpick>

New York isn't a capital city, although many New Yorkers consider it the center of the universe. :)

</nitpick>

Others consider it the Grand Cloaca of the Universe.

bloodhound31
2008-Jul-19, 11:15 PM
I picked NY just becaus it is big, well known overseas and with lots of LP. Because of its fame, people can identify with it.

Thats all......

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-19, 11:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, why just one particular camera?

Neverfly
2008-Jul-20, 12:09 AM
C'mon people, all I am asking for is a 30 second exposure.....:boohoo:

Look, let me tell you something Buddy:mad:....

OH!... He meant the camera exposure...?

nevermind...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/9.gif

Actually, you didn't pick Austin, Capitol of Texas, lotsa light pollution.

Extravoice
2008-Jul-20, 01:34 AM
I picked NY just becaus it is big, well known overseas and with lots of LP. Because of its fame, people can identify with it.

Thats all......

I knew that, but sometimes, my pedantic gene is dominant ;)

BTW: I don't have the said camera, or live in one of the specified cities. Otherwise, I'd help.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-21, 11:22 AM
Maybe you can check websites from those Rebel owners,or go the Canon website.

I'm just suggesting , I believe there are groups of photographers that has webistes here .

<shrug>

bloodhound31
2008-Aug-01, 01:35 PM
Due to the lack of response, I have decided to do away with this list of cities. I will take entries from any large city in the world.

I'm not sure why I have has so little interest. So far only one person has actually delivered a photo. I feel the subject of light pollution is likely to be something near and dear to all astronomers/astrophotographers hearts.

Anyway, the offer still stands, if you want to help out, please PM me and I will provide image capture details so you can snap a bit of your night sky and send it to me.

Remember- in an effor to control the different sensitivities of sensors, Canon EOS 400D's only.

Looking forward to your efforts,

Baz.

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-01, 02:21 PM
That excludes me (I have a 40d, I could have given you Pretoria/Johannesburg).

I suppose you want to compare apples with apples hence the camera/lens specifications.

Cougar
2008-Aug-01, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure why I have has so little interest...

I doubt it's a lack of interest. I expect it's a lack of that specific camera. I wish I had one!

cjl
2008-Aug-01, 02:57 PM
Due to the lack of response, I have decided to do away with this list of cities. I will take entries from any large city in the world.

I'm not sure why I have has so little interest. So far only one person has actually delivered a photo. I feel the subject of light pollution is likely to be something near and dear to all astronomers/astrophotographers hearts.

Anyway, the offer still stands, if you want to help out, please PM me and I will provide image capture details so you can snap a bit of your night sky and send it to me.

Remember- in an effor to control the different sensitivities of sensors, Canon EOS 400D's only.

Looking forward to your efforts,

Baz.

The lack of the specific camera is the reason that you have probably had so little response. I could have access to either a 20D or a 1D Mk III, and get a picture of Denver. No access to a 400D though.

Tedward
2008-Aug-01, 03:37 PM
350D count or is that on an older chip?

mahesh
2008-Oct-11, 10:25 PM
Following one of your posts, in the astrophotography section, i somehow came across this, lying inside at page sixteen.

I posted a suggestion to move it astrophotography / equipment & accessories section, to get a better response from ardent BAUT photographers. Then noticed Tinaa's post, moving it here. So anyway, it's back at page one, at least.

How is the project?

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-12, 12:31 AM
Following one of your posts, in the astrophotography section, i somehow came across this, lying inside at page sixteen.

I posted a suggestion to move it astrophotography / equipment & accessories section, to get a better response from ardent BAUT photographers. Then noticed Tinaa's post, moving it here. So anyway, it's back at page one, at least.

How is the project?

Thanks Mahesh,

The project went great! I have the article uploaded here (http://www.asignobservatory.com/).

I have over forty pledged photos around the world. So far I have had eight, enough to get the idea. I have left the offer open for more people to submit their photos at a later date.

I think a 350D would be fine as the chip is the same or close.

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 12:57 AM
I visited the link. This from the site:

This website and observatory is dedicated to the Lord God who has inspired and assisted me in its creation from the beginning.
ASSIGN promotes a biblical world-view to astronomy and creation. Although the bible is not neccessarily a scientific manual, where applicable and in the spirit of a positive search for truth, we can use the bible as an accurate account, whilst using real science to study, observe, and experiment. The results can hopefully unravel some of the mechanisms of God’s incredible design.

Tinaa
2008-Oct-12, 01:03 AM
So...he never tries to use this site to promote his religion. Your post is out of line. Anyone can see his site and decide to participate or not. No matter why he built his observatory - it is cool.

mahesh
2008-Oct-12, 01:16 AM
what about this one you missed, Ozzy?
http://clavius.as.arizona.edu/vo/R1024/VO.html

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 01:48 AM
Sorry if I have offended anyone. I was only concerned that unsuspecting scientifically minded people were not made aware that their input may be used to advocate creationist theories.

Anyone can see his site and decide to participate or not.
yes, but the nature of his work did not become apparent until after he requested photos.

I have the right sort of camera and was contemplating taking a 40 minute drive to get a photo. I would have been very peeved if I found i had been contributing to a project promoting christian science, and thought to warn like minded people.

Feel free to delete the post if its out of line. Or would you like me to edit it?

Tinaa
2008-Oct-12, 01:56 AM
Not particularly. Just find it kind of hard to believe you have a problem with anyone, whatever personal beliefs they hold, trying to produce proof of light pollution. I'm sure he didn't request only people of his particular religious belief participate.

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 02:10 AM
Its more a concern that the proof of light pollution will be included as proof of some religious phenomenon, and the contributors will be associated with this.

Have I breached the rules of BAUT? If so I will edit the post.

mahesh
2008-Oct-12, 02:22 AM
...only a particular camera....or as it transpires, a chip....
same potatoe/potahto...

...I'm sure he didn't request only people of his particular religious belief participate. i loveth thine accent

mahesh
2008-Oct-12, 02:23 AM
Ozzy? would you like a cup of tea?

Tinaa
2008-Oct-12, 02:29 AM
I felt you unfairly attacked his person because of his personal beliefs. His site has always been there to view. You might find his beliefs distasteful, wrong or whatever but no reason to attack his light pollution photo request so vehemently.

Remember, people here are from all over the world; many different ideas and beliefs. Many people have their personal websites posted. If he were promoting his beliefs on this site, I'd have a problem. But all he asked for here was photos. What religious phenomenon could he be proposing? He takes very nice images of the night sky. I enjoy them whether no matter what I believe or he believes.

I felt the post violated rule #2 Civility and Decorum and possibly bringing in religion were none was discussed.

No warning issued. I felt it was out of line. You obviously felt misled.

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 02:57 AM
I felt you unfairly attacked his person because of his personal beliefs. His site has always been there to view. You might find his beliefs distasteful, wrong or whatever but no reason to attack his light pollution photo request so vehemently.

I did not attack, I warned, and certainly did not consider it "vehement".

I will edit the post to remove the warning.

when a moderator says i'm out of line, I did consider it to be a warning.

would you like a cup tea?

camomile I think.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-12, 03:04 AM
Hey, Ozzy- We all come across those sneaky and devious types.;)

But don't worry- Bloodhound has never acted like that. he's been solid and true so far.
His set up is beautiful- as well as his photography.

So don't worry that he's up to nefarious Ulterior Motives or anything- He's one of the good guys and he earns his respect.;)

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 03:27 AM
I've had my tea ... I feel better now. :)

Neverfly
2008-Oct-12, 03:29 AM
I've had my tea ... I feel better now. :)

If you had a Dr. pepper, you would feel GREAT.

Ozzy
2008-Oct-12, 03:39 AM
what is Dr Pepper, cola or sarsparella? I tried sarsparella once ... yuk.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-12, 03:50 AM
what is Dr Pepper, cola or sarsparella? I tried sarsparella once ... yuk.

It's Neither. It's Dr.Pepper. A league of its own.

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-12, 05:48 AM
Its more a concern that the proof of light pollution will be included as proof of some religious phenomenon,

That's right. If I believe in God, I must be a crackpot. How light pollution could be remotely anything to do with religion I don't know. But then, I am a religious nutter so maybe I can twist it to my own weirdo designs and ideals.

Mate, I think I am a typical, red blooded blokey sort with some shred of common sense. I love my chosen God with my heart (my choice not yours) and I also love common sense, physical real data and a scientific approach whith my fairly average brain. I don't see a problem with that.

Mate, I respect your right to believe or not beleive whatever the heck you want to. I am not shoving my religion down anyones throat and don't see why you need to attack me or "Warn" anyone about my website.

If you dont want to read about it, then don't go to my site again. Easy. Problem solved.

Granted, there is a bit of my religious opinion there, but for the most part, the site is a practical "hands on" of DIY, astrophotography and a general passion of mine for astronomy. I try to keep the two fairly seperate. I have spent three years, out of the goodness of my own heart, making my knowledge (amateur as it may be) available to anyone who wants to know stuff about "how to" in our field. This takes motivation and passion for me to get off my backside to help others. I certainly don't like it when I am placed in a position where I feel I have to "explain" and defend my position. I don't ask you to explain yours nor will I. This is not the first time I have been thus treated because of intolerance. I don't post religious subjects on this forum. Am I some sort of threat? What has you so worried?

In saying that, I do respect your entitled world-view choice and am also genuinely touched, that you were prepared to go to the effort to go for a 40 minute drive to take a photo for me.

If you still wish to do so, I can assure you that it will not be used to "prove God" or anything like that. I would openly welcome your effort and wholeheartedly thank you for your it.

I don't hold grudges and would like this to be the last of it. I would normally say bless you mate, but if that would be considered insult to the subject then I will just say cheers mate and may all go well for you.

Kind regards,

Baz.

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-12, 05:50 AM
Hey, Ozzy- We all come across those sneaky and devious types.;)

But don't worry- Bloodhound has never acted like that. he's been solid and true so far.
His set up is beautiful- as well as his photography.

So don't worry that he's up to nefarious Ulterior Motives or anything- He's one of the good guys and he earns his respect.;)

Thank you all for your support. Now I'm getting all misty....:cry:

So much for being blokey....:lol::whistle:

Neverfly
2008-Oct-12, 06:24 AM
Thank you all for your support. Now I'm getting all misty....:cry:

So much for being blokey....:lol::whistle:

Yeah, you're seeing stars.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/79.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/79.gifhttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/79.gif

Actually, I remember your first post on the board and reading your site about how you built your observatory.

I turned quite Green.

Moose
2008-Oct-12, 01:47 PM
I'll say, first off, I'm unable to help due to lack of equipment and lack of proximity to a major city.

I say this without any hostility whatsoever, but based solely on the information found within this thread, I think Ozzy's concerns have some justification.

Bloodhound, please keep in mind that not so long ago, several skeptical scientists were lied to in order to procure their cooperation (gratis) for the creationist movie "Expelled". Several of these scientists are on record as having said they'd have declined participation had they known who and what they were dealing with.

So we have a request for volunteers to donate time, skill, and use of equipment (also gratis) for "an article on light pollution". You did not specify the publication for which the article is intended, nor the position the article will take (a red flag in itself). You have a web site with some indication of a personal agenda that could potentially place you in alignment with a group known to seek expert volunteer participation under false pretenses to further an agenda to which the participants may not wish to support.

It's understandable, under the circumstances, to be cautious about being set up. "One bitten" and all that. Ultimately, we have only your 87 posts here, plus whatever is on your website, plus Neverfly's reassurance, with which to make that determination. Ozzy is not wrong for raising his concerns.

Neverfly
2008-Oct-12, 07:06 PM
Bloodhound, please keep in mind that not so long ago, several skeptical scientists were lied to in order to procure their cooperation (gratis) for the creationist movie "Expelled". Several of these scientists are on record as having said they'd have declined participation had they known who and what they were dealing with.
This is an excellent example.

It's understandable, under the circumstances, to be cautious about being set up. "One bitten" and all that. Ultimately, we have only your 87 posts here, plus whatever is on your website, plus Neverfly's reassurance, with which to make that determination. Ozzy is not wrong for raising his concerns.

I was cautious of Bloodhound at first as well. But he's demonstrated, at least from what I have seen that he behaves in a true Christian sense- not the shenanigans that charlatans often pull. That is how judgments are prevented and trust built.;)
Add to that where Tinaa pointed out that (whether it's understandable or not) Ozzy had made an immediate assumption and then reacted to that assumption and that makes it a judgment of Bloodhounds personal beliefs.
This is just one of those awkward moments where everyone is correct.
So Ozzy gets assigned the task of thinking about suspending judgments until he has sufficient cause to react and I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

I wish I could have learned some of these things as neatly.;)

chrissy
2008-Oct-12, 08:09 PM
I have the right sort of camera and was contemplating taking a 40 minute drive to get a photo. I would have been very peeved if I found i had been contributing to a project promoting christian science, and thought to warn like minded people.
I think people here are able to read and can make their own choices to contribute a picture, as it was on light pollution and not how everything was created!
Remember you were the one who brought up the subject of religion no-one else did.

mugaliens
2008-Oct-12, 09:36 PM
Thanks Chrissy,

very nice picture, but unfortunately not from the right camera so I can't use it.

Thank you very much anyway, PM sent to you.

Cheers,

Baz.

Boy, you're really limiting your input! Why not instead restrict it within a range of f-stops and focal lengths - you'd get the same results and expand your input by, oh, about a factor of 40...

mahesh
2008-Oct-13, 12:07 AM
I have a special mission for anyone with a Canon EOS 400D (AKA Rebel) DSLR and a standard 18-55 Lens. .......

Please PM me with your interest and I will provide image capture parameters. .....

then:

...C'mon people, all I am asking for is a 30 second exposure.....

and subsequently:

...I think a 350D would be fine as the chip is the same or close. my bolds....

inspite of the specificity of the bloodhound's request, are we now, trying to teach the teacher?

so far, after three months, none of us has effectively, come up with any photographs for bloodhound, except chrissy submitted one (thanks chrissy) which unfortunately, doesn't meet the requirements.

all we've done is put up an attempted Oscar-winning performance, to no one's benefit.

if i had realised, last night, that this might happen, i would have just sent a pm to bloodhound, for the status of his project and not revived the thread. i erred on the side of caution, to see all this drama happen?

common guys/gals, this is BAUT. we aim to be positive. let's cut out the pollution, of the thread. we have been asked about light pollution outside.
......(deleting, what i really want to say)

i am sorry bloodhound....

edit: i hope any submissions aren't too late to be considered

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-13, 12:28 AM
Boy, you're really limiting your input! Why not instead restrict it within a range of f-stops and focal lengths - you'd get the same results and expand your input by, oh, about a factor of 40...

That's ok mate, it's all good.

I compromised on several fronts to get this thing happening. I had to draw the line somewhere. I am happy with what I have so far.

Hey look everyone, no hard feelings ok?

I haven't posted religious stuff here and I won't. The article on light pollution is a very personal one for me, not only because my son shone a ray of hope for me when he realised the extent of the galaxy, but I like to make those who don't know, aware of what can be seen when they get away from their cities.

The photo article itself is not about a religious issue, it is about comparing different levels of light pollution. That's all.

On a more personal note, when I reflect on the whole science working with religion stuff, I try to apply a bit of common sense and a willingness to accept that I am wrong, misled or off track based on new evidence. Any scientist would do the same when the new data presents.

I am NOT one of those people who just goes making stuff up to stretch the truth. If you ever actually read my site carefully, you would see that in the relevant and (seperate, clearly identified) nav tabs, I often correct my brethren and warn them to be careful about their claims that one thing means another. As far as I am concerned, the truth will speak for itself in time enough.

On that point you will also see you have the choice there to go and look at the Christian part of my site or go look at practical stuff like DIY and photography. It is my site and I can do what I want with it, but i still try to think of others and respect their choices.

I am sorry if anyone felt threatened. I am a Christian and proud of it. If that mere fact offends anyone please let me know and I will no longer post on this forum. I am ok with that and will graciously bow out. There are plenty more forums out there.

Warm regards and best wishes to all,

Baz.

mahesh
2008-Oct-13, 12:35 AM
Baz!

warm regards to you too!

DON'T LEAVE US, please!

Neverfly
2008-Oct-13, 12:40 AM
Baz!

warm regards to you too!

DON'T LEAVE US, please!

Or if you must leave, at least assign us as beneficiaries on your insurance first.

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-13, 12:46 AM
Baz!

warm regards to you too!

DON'T LEAVE US, please!

Awwwww....there's enough love to stay if you put it like that....

[QUOTE=Or if you must leave, at least assign us as beneficiaries on your insurance first.![/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....I think thats called cupboard love.....:lol:

Moose
2008-Oct-13, 01:06 AM
Bloodhound, this wasn't intended to chase you off, and I'm sorry if you felt threatened by this request for clarification.

If the article is not something you're doing for pay, then it's not a "do my job for me for free" situation and that concern is mooted. (Been taken advantage of way too often to not be at least somewhat wary.) You keep your religion separate from your scientific protocols, which speaks for itself. What you said about your son is touching, and your stated motives for this article are admirable.

Given this, if I were in a position to help, I would.

Some of the difficulty may be that the camera you're looking for may well be less common than you might expect. It may also be that astronomy lovers who are sufficiently motivated to pay for higher-shelf equipment may also be motivated to avoid living in high-light-pollution urban areas.

There may simply not _be_ (m)any astronomy folks buying high-end cameras for astrophotography in NYC.

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-13, 01:14 AM
No worries Moose, respect dude.

Peace love and mungbeans baby!!!

Baz.

P.S. I think this issue has been done to death and resolved. Any mods care to lock the thread?

mahesh
2008-Oct-13, 01:34 AM
No worries Moose, respect dude.

Peace love and mungbeans baby!!!

Baz.

P.S. I think this issue has been done to death and resolved. Any mods care to lock the thread?

just before the event occurs...
can i just quickly add: that's exactly, what i just ate!
ok, i cheated/added a small finely diced potato....delish.....

sorry no submissions from me :sad:
i use film

Neverfly
2008-Oct-13, 01:41 AM
Is the project over?

bloodhound31
2008-Oct-13, 02:25 AM
Is the project over?

No. It is completed and published on the site, but I have left an open invitation with capture details at the bottom of the article.

Any more enquiries, please feel welcome to PM me.

Cheers,

Over and out.

Tinaa
2008-Oct-13, 11:08 AM
Closed per OP request.