PDA

View Full Version : I guess we shouldn't feel so bad about the poor science education in the U.S.

RGClark
2008-Jul-21, 08:48 PM
Just saw this linked in a post on sci.astro:

http://www.maniacworld.com/pitiful-answer-on-game-show.html

That poor game show host. It was like he was aching to jump in
and say "It's the Moon. The Moon, that rotates around the Earth!"
What's even worse than the contestant getting the question wrong was
that 56% of the audience members said the Sun and only 42% said the
Moon. I guess we shouldn't feel so bad about the poor grade school
education in the U.S.

Bob Clark

NEOWatcher
2008-Jul-22, 12:18 PM
and say "It's the Moon. The Moon, that rotates around the Earth!"..
He also seemed to be struggling to find a nice way to say, "the audience is stupid, don't pay attention to them".

But; we don't know if the audience is a sample of the general populus. Many studio audiences are made of groups that get a chance to see a show in action, such as tour groups or the like. So; this may be a group of flat-earthers on a field trip.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jul-22, 02:53 PM
I understand that the audiences and contestants of such shows are carefully chosen.

galacsi
2008-Jul-22, 03:40 PM
He also seemed to be struggling to find a nice way to say, "the audience is stupid, don't pay attention to them".

But; we don't know if the audience is a sample of the general populus. Many studio audiences are made of groups that get a chance to see a show in action, such as tour groups or the like. So; this may be a group of flat-earthers on a field trip.

I not so sure the host knew better !

People are selected on being able to cheer and laugh and clap their hands and most of them are much more knowledgeable in pop music or sport than science.

This a very low level show.

BigDon
2008-Jul-22, 07:37 PM
The Moon rotates around the Earth?

Doodler
2008-Jul-22, 08:25 PM
The Moon rotates around the Earth?

Freeman Dyson must be revolving in his grave...

Warren Platts
2008-Jul-22, 10:21 PM
Dyson might be dancing on graves, but he's not yet in one!

tdvance
2008-Jul-22, 11:23 PM
I recall in the news Dyson recently saying he didn't buy global warming--hard to say from a grave!

Tog
2008-Jul-23, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure how the scoring goes here, but he finished with 1500 (Euros?) That means it wasn't the first question, and sort of implies that it was around the 5th or so doesn't it?

That's a different kind of sad.

Also, I think there could be a decent argument that Mars was the correct answer. Its "revolution" does encompass the entire Earth orbit. SO it revolves around the Earth, Earth just isn't in the center of it.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Jul-23, 10:57 AM
The Moon rotates around the Earth?It doesn't? I thought the Moon completed one rotation about itself every month or so...

Anyway, graviter (to gravitate) is best translated as "to revolve", here.

Vonstadt
2008-Jul-23, 03:26 PM
No what is sad is that 56% of the audience thought it was in fact the sun that rotated around the Earth.

Good Lord.

SeanF
2008-Jul-23, 03:46 PM
No what is sad is that 56% of the audience thought it was in fact the sun that rotated around the Earth.

Good Lord.
I wonder how Einstein would've answered... :)

Inferno
2008-Jul-29, 05:17 AM
The Sun? The SUN! THE SUN!!!??? Perhaps they were taking an Earth centred view of the universe. Since there is nothing special about any particular persons location, well, you could say that the earth is stationary and the sun does rotates around the Earth? Of course, that pesky gravity...

Delvo
2008-Jul-29, 12:15 PM
From that perspective, everything in the universe except some artificial satellites revolves around the Earth, so it must not be the perspective from which the question was written.

Inferno
2008-Jul-31, 08:02 AM
From that perspective, everything in the universe except some artificial satellites revolves around the Earth, so it must not be the perspective from which the question was written.

It's a good smart-arse answer to the question though!

Noclevername
2008-Aug-05, 02:14 AM
I guess we shouldn't feel so bad about the poor grade school
education in the U.S.

Just because other countries have ignorance too, makes no difference at all about how bad we should feel about the state of U.S. education.

Mr Gorsky
2008-Aug-13, 02:29 PM
Having watched a very few edtions of this programme in the UK, I am firmly of the (totally unscientific) belief that the studio audience often gives the wrong answer just for the hell of it. I think I probably would if it were me.

nomuse
2008-Aug-19, 12:38 AM
Actually, if I remember my early models, the Sun would revolve around the Earth but the inner planets would revolve around the Sun. Clever, those early astronomers.

Gillianren
2008-Aug-19, 02:41 AM
Actually, if I remember my early models, the Sun would revolve around the Earth but the inner planets would revolve around the Sun. Clever, those early astronomers.

That's Tycho Brahe's heresy, I believe.

Lianachan
2008-Aug-25, 10:16 PM
Given that he didn't know that very easy question, it's certainly possible that the audience were giving him the wrong answer to dump him out of the show.

AKONI
2008-Aug-26, 06:51 AM
Just saw this linked in a post on sci.astro:

http://www.maniacworld.com/pitiful-answer-on-game-show.html

and say "It's the Moon. The Moon, that rotates around the Earth!"
What's even worse than the contestant getting the question wrong was
that 56% of the audience members said the Sun and only 42% said the
Moon. I guess we shouldn't feel so bad about the poor grade school
education in the U.S.

Bob Clark

He'd score hight marks if it was the year 1011 CE