PDA

View Full Version : Project Lucifer: Will Cassini Turn Saturn into a Second Sun? (Part 1)

Fraser
2008-Jul-24, 07:30 AM
The story: On October 15th 1997, the Cassini-Huygens mission blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station to explore Saturn and its moons. It continues to study the ringed gas giant today and its mission has been extended till 2010. Cassini is is powered by 32.8 kg (72 lbs) of plutonium fuel. A radioactive power [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/07/24/project-lucifer-will-cassini-turn-saturn-into-a-second-sun-part-1/)

parallaxicality
2008-Jul-24, 03:57 PM
The sheer monumental ignorance required to believe this particular CT is just staggering. It's kinda like when a creationist says, "Well the Sun and Jupiter are mostly hydrogen but the Earth is mostly rock; how do you explain that?" There exists within the wider world a fundamental incomprehension of the relative sizes of the objects in the Solar System.

clint_dreamer
2008-Jul-24, 06:33 PM
Ignorance aside, still a tremendously fun read. Great job by Ian O'Neill. Great conspiracy theory too. I know it's all crap but things like this make the mind wonder; what if?

galacsi
2008-Jul-24, 06:58 PM
OF course it is all bunk , but with a kind of logic in the delirium !

Too bad , titan gravity too weak to hold a temperate atmosphere , because it would be great to terraform a new home this way.

Or Jerry has a secret ace in his sleeve ! (But it will go to ATM)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-25, 01:06 AM
Ignorance aside, still a tremendously fun read. Great job by Ian O'Neill. Great conspiracy theory too. I know it's all crap but things like this make the mind wonder; what if?

Ian O'neill did, indeed, do a thorough debunking. I think that's one of the best of his I've read.

It was also the most absurd.

NASA: "Hey, let's up and destroy everything"
NASA2: "Good idea!"

The irony is that the actual reason for the burn was for the sake of Possible Microbes. Here NASA is thinking about the welfare of possible bugs..!!!
And they are still painted as evil.
Utterly amazing.

JustAFriend
2008-Jul-25, 09:09 PM
"OMG... they sent PLUTONIUM!!!!!"

Too bad ninnys don't understand that fissionable and fusable elements are throughout the Universe and not just cooked up by a deranged scientist in a weapons lab.

The comet that slammed into Jupiter last decade released more energy than Man has ever released too.....