PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Names question

Tog
2008-Jul-24, 10:56 AM
I work with a genuine "Geek-Girl" She wants to name her next cat, or maybe a kid, something that sounds Vulcan, and asked for my input.

My advice was to make it the cat's name. Leave the poor unborn out of it.
Then I mentioned everything I knew about Vulcan names. Male names start with S and Female with T, usually with an apostrophe.

As it turns out she actually liked Voyager and pointed out that Tuvoc goes against that rule I thought I knew. Then I remembered Savic (SP?).

Is the S/T think not a rule or did the writers just mess up?

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-24, 10:57 AM
Tell her to name it her vulcan self.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-24, 11:16 AM
I work with a genuine "Geek-Girl" She wants to name her next cat, or maybe a kid, something that sounds Vulcan, and asked for my input.

Then I mentioned everything I knew about Vulcan names. Male names start with S and Female with T, usually with an apostrophe.

As it turns out she actually liked Voyager and pointed out that Tuvoc goes against that rule I thought I knew. Then I remembered Savic (SP?).

The "S" names in males are only for those in the Bloodline of Surak.
Sarek and Spock are descendents of Surak.
Other Vulcans, who are not descended from Surak don't have S names.

i was thinking about something similar the other day. Why do people give their pets such goofy names. Would you name your son "Noodles?"

geonuc
2008-Jul-24, 11:51 AM

i was thinking about something similar the other day. Why do people give their pets such goofy names. Would you name your son "Noodles?"
I never knew that about Star Trek, and I'm a long-time trekkie (obviously not a very good one). Thanks!

Pet names can be silly because the pets don't have to show up at school and get humiliated by other kids.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-24, 12:08 PM
Would you name your son "Noodles?"

If he had been touched by a noodlely appendage, yes.

Jason
2008-Jul-24, 01:42 PM
This (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Category:Vulcans) webpage has a list of Vulcan names.

Delvo
2008-Jul-24, 02:41 PM
They do all seem to end with a K, and T is phoneticly related to S... why would the cat owner not just make up a string of sounds that fit the pattern and sound nifty? The show writers don't take it any deeper than that, so putting more thought and effort into it than they do would not be true to the spirit of where Vulcan names actually come from.

Click Ticker
2008-Jul-24, 06:54 PM
Tyvek - Vulcan building products.

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Construction/en_US/?src=tyvek_g

Doodler
2008-Jul-24, 09:38 PM

Going off the official canon of filmography, the T'- prefix for female names had to do with whether they were pair bonded or not. Those that were got the T, those that weren't used the typical naming convention. There was a female Vulcan named Selar from TNG that I can recall immediately.

Nowhere Man
2008-Jul-24, 11:02 PM
Spork.

Fred

Lianachan
2008-Jul-24, 11:43 PM
i was thinking about something similar the other day. Why do people give their pets such goofy names. Would you name your son "Noodles?"I've always given pets names from Norse mythology. My cat is called Loki. My children, though, have nice, proper Scottish human names.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-27, 12:03 AM
Where did you hear that, Neverfly? I'm sure it's never been established on-screen.

As for Vulcan-ish names, start it with S, T, or maybe V. Using a V or K in the name will help, unless you're doing a T'postrophe name.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-27, 10:14 AM
Sounds like something from one of the novels.
They are officially not canon.

Chuck
2008-Jul-28, 03:46 AM
T'Purr for a cat?

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 03:56 AM
Where did you hear that, Neverfly? I'm sure it's never been established on-screen.

As for Vulcan-ish names, start it with S, T, or maybe V. Using a V or K in the name will help, unless you're doing a T'postrophe name.

Henrik may be right.
I really don't remember.

Bear in mind- I am not a Trekkie...

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-28, 04:14 AM
Bear in mind- I am not a Trekkie...
I might have noticed that once or twice. ;)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 11:45 AM
I might have noticed that once or twice. ;)

I am dutifully ashamed.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-28, 07:30 PM
I am dutifully ashamed.
Don't be. I'll try to keep my avatar male for a while. :)

ToSeek
2008-Jul-30, 09:29 PM
I am reminded of an in-house production team memo (reproduced in The Making of Star Trek) proposing that all Vulcan names began with "Sp" and ended with "k", accompanied by a rather long list.

Alasdhair
2008-Jul-31, 06:22 PM
I am reminded of an in-house production team memo (reproduced in The Making of Star Trek) proposing that all Vulcan names began with "Sp" and ended with "k", accompanied by a rather long list.

... several of which read the same, but were apparently pronounced differently ;-)

ToSeek
2008-Jul-31, 08:25 PM
... several of which read the same, but were apparently pronounced differently ;-)

Yes, there were three or four follow-up memos to discuss such ramifications.

Doodler
2008-Aug-01, 10:53 PM

I remember that list, "Spirk" was one of the better ones, but you'd run out of non-silly names in an awful hurry.

Solfe
2008-Aug-11, 03:02 PM
I remember that list, "Spirk" was one of the better ones, but you'd run out of non-silly names in an awful hurry.

"Spirk"

Oh, god, I almost choked.

Coffee out the nose hurts. It sort of "spirks."

That could be a new verb, "spirk - to send piping hot Starbucks Coffee out the nose accompanied by a failed attempt to laugh."

Mr Gorsky
2008-Aug-11, 03:15 PM
My next 10 dogs are all going to be called 'Zathras'.

:D