PDA

View Full Version : A Neat List

Vonstadt
2008-Jul-25, 12:55 AM
I found this list to be fairly neat!

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/903/top-10-scientific-inaccurate-movies

Plus I loved the quote from Duke University paleoclimatologist William Hyde about 'The Day After Tomorrow'

Enjoy and discuss, say perhaps who else should've made the list? :)

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-25, 01:23 AM
I will point out that although Indianna Jones would be jam in real life after been blown hundreds of feet through the air inside a fridge, it is quite possible for a person who survived the blast effects of an nuclear device to survive the radiation effects, particularly if they didn't hang around and got decontaminated as Indy did. (Although I can't recommend keeping the hat and whip as he did.)

And making fun of the science in Starship Troopers is sort of like making fun of the architecture in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon, but I assumed that the millitaristic human government, not the bugs, dropped an asteroid on Buenos Aires to start a war. (But then again, the bugs could butt shoot into space, so who knows what they're capable of?)

Jason
2008-Jul-25, 03:12 AM
In Independence Day it was the mother ship that was 1/4 the size of the moon, not the smaller ships that actually parked over the cities. The picture makes it look like they're talking about the smaller ships.

And the real problem with dropping rocks on Buenos Aires from other planets is the light speed limitation.
In the novel the bugs are technological, and they nuked Buenos Aires with their own bombs and ships.

MG1962A
2008-Jul-25, 10:49 PM
In Jurassic Park - I always wondered who worked up the budget for the park. The security cost and insurance required to keep the carnivorus dinosaurs on display would have bankrupted the place

Given that a few plant eaters alone would have more than blown the worlds mind for years, it seemed odd indeed.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-26, 05:19 AM
A Neat List:rolleyes:
Top 10 Scientifically Inaccurate Movies
...Here are some of the worst offenders......presented in a [10] slide-show format. :doh:

Vonstadt
2008-Jul-26, 06:30 AM
I dunno why, I found it to be a neat list.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 06:38 AM
I dunno why, I found it to be a neat list.

I thought it was too. Many of those flicks have been discussed on BAUT.

I actually learned something- I clicked a link on that same page to the "Most Historically Inaccurate Movies"

I should have known better than to trust Mel Gibson:p

Maha Vailo
2008-Jul-26, 12:55 PM
What I'm curious to know is how they figured out that stopping the rotation of Earth's core would essentially fry the planet.

Maybe that's what the Death Star's lasers did. :)

KaiYeves
2008-Jul-26, 06:41 PM
In Jurassic Park - I always wondered who worked up the budget for the park. The security cost and insurance required to keep the carnivorus dinosaurs on display would have bankrupted the place

Given that a few plant eaters alone would have more than blown the worlds mind for years, it seemed odd indeed.

What's more, in the game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, I DON'T make carnivores for that very reason and my parks always do very well.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 07:01 PM
What's more, in the game Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, I DON'T make carnivores for that very reason and my parks always do very well.

Oh my... How very boring...

sarongsong
2008-Jul-27, 06:56 PM
I dunno why, I found it to be a neat list.OK, it is, but why shroud what it is a list of?

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-28, 12:54 AM
That is, if you put what the list is about in the original post (and title if possible) it makes things easier for readers.

Vonstadt
2008-Jul-28, 02:02 AM
OK, it is, but why shroud what it is a list of?

Um shroud? There was no intended shroud, I just named the thread (which was to be frivilous and light hearted) with a simple name.

There was no hidden meaning, no cloud of smoke over it to trap unwary unsuspecting viewers into my cleverly designed web of decite :p :)

I can see I was not entirely clear to its nature but I figured it would self explainitory once the link was clicked. Science boards...movies using poor science. I guess I didnt see a real need for an in depth explaination.

It was just to be a fun thread, really not trying to be cryptic. However I will be more clear in the future, sorry guys! :)

Vons

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 11:47 AM
Considering the appearance of the link in the OP:

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/colle...ccurate-movies
Very little seems "shrouded" to me as well.

If you wanted to find out- hold your breath and click it and find out.

Note: I copy and pasted the appearance of the link, not the link itsself. Clicking the dummy link will lead to a Cannot Find page and will leave you feeling like a dummy link clicker. no COD's. Member FDIC.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-29, 04:11 AM
Ah, so you could tell, from seeing "A Neat List" + "ccurate-movies" = "Top 10 Scientifically Inaccurate Movies"---wow! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
I saw a "movie" link of unknown duration and description. :doh:

Jason
2008-Jul-29, 04:38 AM
Five posts so far on arguing over whether the title of this thread is meaningful?

Oh, sorry - six now.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 06:20 AM
Ah, so you could tell, from seeing "A Neat List" + "ccurate-movies" = "Top 10 Scientifically Inaccurate Movies"---wow! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
I saw a "movie" link of unknown duration and description. :doh:

Cool! A Free Movie!
Can't argue with that:)