PDA

View Full Version : When Rambo knife is just not manly enough!

Ilya
2008-Jul-25, 05:42 PM
Wasp Injection Knife (http://www.waspknife.com/about.php)

The Supreme Canuck
2008-Jul-25, 05:56 PM
Whoa. That's just nasty.

cplradar
2008-Jul-25, 06:29 PM
I always saw their ads in military, LEO, and diving rags, but they never showed how it worked. I'll take two. One for bears and one for sharks.:p

Fazor
2008-Jul-25, 06:36 PM
WASP Injection Systems, Inc. does not condone the killing of innocent creatures.

...just the fugative ones. ;)

Doodler
2008-Jul-25, 08:18 PM
I imagine the effect of this going off inside of a human torso/trunk would not be overly pleasant to witness...should have some similarities to a sucking chest wound in the upper torso without the wait for nature to take its course.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-26, 12:47 AM
I imagine the effect of this going off inside of a human torso/trunk would not be overly pleasant to witness...should have some similarities to a sucking chest wound in the upper torso without the wait for nature to take its course.

Yeah.. I can imagine what you said.

:sick:

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-26, 01:04 AM
I am sure this knife would never fly backwards and smash the user in the face.

"My foot is tangled in this discarded fishing net! Good thing I brought a knife with me. BAM!"

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 01:29 AM

"My foot is tangled in this discarded fishing net! Good thing I brought a knife with me. BAM!"

Hmmm...:think:

:doh:

Thought I heard my name. Guess not...
Doncha just hate that?

BigDon
2008-Jul-26, 01:37 AM
And of course in San Francisco, after they flagellate themselves after reading about this because of the evils of humanity, United States and the English speaking world, they will pass a law making possession of one within four thousand miles of California punishable by fifteen years of being beaten and raped. Because the knife is wrong. There will be tree sittings, a candle-light vigil, and they will make the world's biggest dreamcatcher in an effort to improve human nature. Ron, I'll pm you a schedule.

And in Britain if you are caught even reading the article you will get manditory five years sentence. Two for suspicion of reading the article.

Texas you can't get into school without a receipt for one.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 01:39 AM
Texas you can't get into school without a receipt for one.

ROCK ON!

BigDon
2008-Jul-26, 01:41 AM
And Ilya, for whatever reason, is confusing manliness and deadliness.

cjl
2008-Jul-26, 01:43 AM
Well, the two are often equated (rightly or not).

BigDon
2008-Jul-26, 02:09 AM

Probably the same reason my CO2 pellet gun doesn't go flying backwards out of my hands when I pull the trigger.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-26, 02:19 AM
Probably the same reason my pellet gun doesn't go flying backwards out of my hands when I pull the trigger.

I'm sure you can fire a gun properly, but I've seen a police officer with semi-circle cut in his head from a scope because he wasn't holding a rifle properly. Another person I knew caught a possum in a trap and decided the best way to transport it so it wouldn't bite him would be to carry it by its tail. Not a bright idea when they climb with their tails like monkeys. People have accidently killed themselves with bread and butter knives. Human beings are far from perfect and capable of doing many stupid things. Pointing out a potential danger of a gas injecting knife for people who don't know what they are doing or who mistake it for a normal knife or who act stupidly, does not mean that someone who knows what they are doing couldn't use it without hurting themselves.

I thought the idea of a knife unexpectedly flying back in someone's face was kind of funny in a dark way.

BigDon
2008-Jul-26, 03:33 AM
Actually, you are correct. Sorry for the grumpyness. My inner Moe Howard must have stepped out to take a leak or something.

TheHalcyonYear
2008-Jul-26, 03:36 AM
*rolls eyes*

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-26, 06:00 AM
People have accidently killed themselves with bread and butter knives. Human beings are far from perfect and capable of doing many stupid things.So true! If I might make a suggestion: Someone should start some sort of list of people getting killed doing stupid things. Just so that others can avoid doing the same thing. Maybe even give pou a posthumous award.

I'd do it myself, except my toast just got stuck in the toaster and I need to get it out. <Reaches for metal knife>

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 06:02 AM
So true! If I might make a suggestion: Someone should start some sort of list of people getting killed doing stupid things. Just so that others can avoid doing the same thing. Maybe even give pou a posthumous award.

I'd do it myself, except my toast just got stuck in the toaster and I need to get it out. <Reaches for metal knife>

Posthumous award? (http://www.darwinawards.com/)

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-26, 09:58 AM
Why look, somebody had the same idea as me! ;)

Maha Vailo
2008-Jul-26, 12:00 PM
Crimony! I wonder how much damage that beast would do if it were a D&D weapon. Any clues?

- Maha Vailo

Doodler
2008-Jul-26, 12:08 PM
Crimony! I wonder how much damage that beast would do if it were a D&D weapon. Any clues?

- Maha Vailo

1D4+1 base damage, on a critical hit target takes massive damage approximately 1D10 - 2D12 (Based on target size, smaller creatures take more, larger takes less, due to torso interior volume. Giant and Huge targets are immune to effect because of this), must save versus Death Magic or die (from apoxia brought on by trapped air compressing the lungs), if successful, save versus Paralysis for half damage (air escaping the torso through a jagged wound).

Edit: Happy 1k posts, Maha

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-26, 12:13 PM

I don't know, but don't get too carried away. The gas dagger might make a cavity as big as a basketball, but remember that a battle axe makes a cavity as big as a battle axe head.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-26, 12:59 PM
WASP - Wicked-A**** Survival Protocol.

"Here, sharkey, sharkey..."

Seriously, most divers meet Davey Jones because of human (their own) error.

My scuba instructor (25 years ago) was a retired UDT/commando type. His rules:

1. Never trust your air.

2. Rule of 10:

a. Ten normal breaths from your tank before diving. Any taste whatsoever outside of normal, or any lightheadedness or other sensations, reject the tank.

b. Beat the dive tables by 10%. If they say you can stay down at that depth for 30 minutes, remain no longer than 27 minutes.

3. Never ascend faster than your bubbles. Always breath. The "B" in SCUBA isn't for breatholding. It's for breathing. If you don't breath, you die, so breath, especially on ascent.

4. Whether it moves or not, if it's not man-made, don't touch it.

5. Never leave your dive buddy. If he leaves you, feel free to kick his ***.

6. If you're uncomfortable for any reason (too tight, too cold) RTB (return to boat) immediately.

6b: ...with your dive buddy.

7. Never "overdive." If you planned your dive for 70 feet, never descend to 71 ft, even for a second.

8. Choose your diving tender well. Is there someone aboard who can reach you at a depth of, say, 30 ft, which just mask and fins?

9. Haves and have-nots:

a. Are enough tanks for them to dive to your depth and spend an hour extricating you?

b. And provide for an extra hour's worth of air for you?

c. And provide for their dempression stops?

d. And yours?

e. At your extended bottom-time due to whatever situation kept you down there?

f: Plus 50% for good measure, or for a second diver to help out with some heavy lifting?

Diving is fun. It's also inherently dangerous, but those dangers can be largely mitigated by careful planning, detailed training, and exercising sound judgement while on a dive.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-26, 01:48 PM
And Ilya, for whatever reason, is confusing manliness and deadliness.
The title made me flash on Cronicles of Riddick, the answer isn't an air knife.
It's a tin cup.

You don't become more manly by using a deadlier weapon, you do so by being deadly with a smaller one.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-26, 01:56 PM
You don't become more manly by using a deadlier weapon, you do so by being deadly with a smaller one.

I have no enemies. Therefore I have no weapons. Therefore my weapons are infinitely small. Therefore I am infinitely manly. Which isn't a good thing. I went bald at the age of eight and incapable of asking for directions.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-26, 04:19 PM

Then I must be exceptionally manly, as a few in my office will attest to the fact that I can kill thousands merely by releasing a few micrograms of a colorless gas.

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-26, 07:34 PM
I guess that makes me so unmanly that I'm practically a chick. ;)

When I need to kill someone, I hit 'em with my car!

Hypothetically, of course. I've never actually done anything like that. Of course.

The charges were dropped.

BigDon
2008-Jul-26, 10:51 PM
Actually the easiest and deadliest improvment you can make to any knife, and this one is no exception, is to give it a five to eight foot long handle, depending on probable application.

drainbread
2008-Jul-26, 11:11 PM
WASP (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=34b_1216835811) demonstration video.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Jul-27, 12:03 AM
The perfect weapon for homicidal maniacs who can't pass a background check to get a gun.

BigDon
2008-Jul-27, 12:07 AM
Okay, bets on how long it takes before this is banned by most of the civilised world?

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-27, 12:34 AM
Okay, bets on how long it takes before this is banned by most of the civilised world?

Probably considerably longer than it will take for someone in the US to sue the company for some reason.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 04:13 AM
Oh jeez! Just because they are personally offended! Look up why barrel shrouds are illegal in California!

Edit to add. Hint: because they look "scarey".

Ronald Brak
2008-Aug-04, 04:19 AM
Oh jeez! Just because they are personally offended! Look up why barrel shrouds are illegal in California!

Edit to add. Hint: because they look "scarey".

A lot of US "gun control" laws appear to be designed to keep foreign weapons off the market and protect domestic producers.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 04:23 AM
Ron, a lot of foriegn weapons are crap.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 04:24 AM
Bet I've shot lots more than you have!

Ronald Brak
2008-Aug-04, 04:39 AM
Ron, a lot of foriegn weapons are crap.

Well, an anti-crap law would be more honest then.

Bet I've shot lots more than you have!

I bet you have! Unless we're counting Halo in this.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 05:15 AM
Ron, picture this.

It's 1976 and you're 16 years old. It's high summer, you are in REALLY rural California in the Lake Berryessa region and there is a "rabbit issue". Neighbors are about one every five miles at the time and Google Earthing the place will show you it's STILL out there in the sticks. Shoot it IS the sticks.

(Sorry, drinking tonight, bear with me please)

Do you know what tarweed smells like? Since I'm better with words than numbers picture smell as as tone. Tarweed smells like eucalyptus, but at a lower note.

The air was pervasive with the smell of tarweed in summer there. The cabin was a fully finished house at the top of a nice promenent hill with more level terrain out the back.

Now at this cabin you have a collection of Italian and Native American women who together have about 230 years of cooking experiance and all have been married long term to hunters. I'm asoiciated by close friendship, not blood, though I wouldn't have minded.

Though I was disturbed on occassion even at that tender age by the "more rural" members of the clan allowing their toddlers to teeth on the same bones as their hunting dog pups. Now THAT'S country! (fortunately none of those wives were in the cooking circle)

and then you have all their near grown daughters who have grown up to be Jamie Lee Curtis look-a-likes complete with the short grey hair and "endowments". I think there is some sort of virus or something. Though I'm not going to run through the streets screaming about it at the roll of the credits. :) (Yeah I've started the whiskey now. Ran out of beer)

So yes, a bunch of my friends the same age were sent out by the grown ups to go harvest rabbits. For a week long feast. For some 250 people. We did three nocturnal sweeps that week to keep everybody fed. Every Italian dish you can think of, made with rabbit.

And you can't pick'em like radishes it seems. Really. I wouldn't lie about it at all. These were big jacks and they run really, really fast, but not 1200 feet per second. That seems to catch them everytime.

At night, with four vehicle loaded with teenagers and a couple of early twenty year olds.

High lights encluded the ones that wake up in the enclosed vehicle and utterly beat the crap out of everybody in it. Big jacks will break bones with their kicks. I got caught in one of those and was majorly sore for more than a week! Looking back now through time I've fought "folks" with nightsticks who didn't leave me as sore.

Wow I just cruised a pint of Jack. I don't usually drink like this.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 05:29 AM
The very last time I ever did this I was home on leave from the Navy and as my non-fire arms familiar best friend in the whole world and I were existing the bed of a pick up trunk by dismounting via jumping over the starboard side of the bed he did every bad rule break in the book.

*He* jumped out of the bed holding the muzzle of a loaded, cocked 12 gauge with the safety off.

The butt of the gun struck the ground and of course the gun fired and plastered the hair on the right side of my head straight up. Had long scratchs up the side of my head from the number 4 shot. I forgave him in moments because he is my best friend still, even though he married a psycho skank who made him disown all his friends.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-04, 05:58 PM
Then I must be exceptionally manly, as a few in my office will attest to the fact that I can kill thousands merely by releasing a few micrograms of a colorless gas.

Same here, usualy when I have been on the Curry and Stout.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-04, 06:08 PM
I go after Rabbits with an Air Arms S400 Precharge AIr rifle. It's good for 150 shots at 24ft/lbs and charges to about 190bar from a dive bottle.
Cheap to operate and with a moderator totaly silent.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-04, 06:23 PM
I've killed several Saturday afternoons with a good friend, taking care of the cattle by plinking the gophers.

Prolly illegal, these days.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-04, 09:47 PM
I shoot on some worn out pasture land used to graze horses and a few sheep along the edge of the forests behind the town, it belongs to Lord Guisboroughs estate.

SeanF
2008-Aug-05, 02:02 PM
I've killed several Saturday afternoons with a good friend...
Saturday afternoons are now protected around here, as they were nearly hunted to extinction a couple decades ago.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Aug-12, 07:33 PM
The perfect weapon for homicidal maniacs who can't pass a background check to get a gun.

Who are you calling a maniac?:confused:

Edged weapons are for gentlemen. They require skill and discipline to use them properly.

Any punk can pull a trigger.:whistle:

Neverfly
2008-Aug-12, 07:39 PM
Edged weapons are for gentlemen. They require skill and discipline to use them properly.

Now them's Fightin' Woids!

Doodler
2008-Aug-12, 08:28 PM

Meh, ever seen one of those morons try and quick draw with their pants halfway down their backside?

It'd be comedic, if stopping long enough to laugh properly didn't leave them enough time to pull their weapon and aim properly.

PetersCreek
2008-Aug-12, 09:35 PM

A Gentleman is adept at both...says one who shaves with naked steel and carries a Kimber. ;)

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-13, 01:49 AM

An edged weapon is one thing. An injection system for explosive decompression is another. Might as well coat the blade with poison as well.

Ronald Brak
2008-Aug-13, 02:05 AM
A real gentleman uses sharks with freaking lasers on their heads. (Currently we're having a little difficulty replacing their teeth with gas injecting daggers.) Of course, when dealing with knaves I use an elephant gun. Little discomforts a knave more than being hit by an elephant travelling at the speed of sound.

SeanF
2008-Aug-13, 01:36 PM
A real gentleman uses sharks with freaking lasers on their heads. (Currently we're having a little difficulty replacing their teeth with gas injecting daggers.) Of course, when dealing with knaves I use an elephant gun. Little discomforts a knave more than being hit by an elephant travelling at the speed of sound.
...in your pajamas...

Krel
2008-Aug-14, 01:46 AM

It is like I used to tell my fencing instructor, "people like you are the reason they make guns". :eek:

David.

SkepticJ
2008-Aug-14, 07:18 AM

A serial killer armed with a couple of feet of clothesline is far more dangerous than a cheerleader with a bazooka.-Cryptonomicon

Tog
2008-Aug-14, 07:28 AM
It would also seem to give up one of the most basic advantages of a knife. You have to reload it.

Also, from the video, it sort of looks like it's hard to get it out of the target before the big moment. It also looks like the user really wants to get it out. I wonder of there is a problem with the expansion cause the knife to flip back at the user if not held firmly. That could be an issue when it's stuck in a large, now angry flailing critter.

SkepticJ
2008-Aug-14, 07:40 AM
It would also seem to give up one of the most basic advantages of a knife. You have to reload it.

No, it's a one-shot super-knife, and a knife after that. You're not giving up anything.

Tog
2008-Aug-14, 07:53 AM
No, it's a one-shot super-knife, and a knife after that. You're not giving up anything.

That was aimed more at the comments about how it could be used by a homicidal maniac. I'd also like to see just how well it holds up as a regular knife. From the video, it looked like the whole handle unscrews which would mean the tang is really small. That was a huge issue with the early "Rambo" knives. The hollow handles meant the blade/handle connections were much weaker than with a more traditional knife.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-14, 08:21 AM
I'd note that if this is intended to cause explosive decompression * in large animals * one stab should do the trick just fine for a human being. No need to pull it out quickly, or at all if you need to flee the scene because of pesky witnesses or whatnot.

Tog
2008-Aug-14, 08:53 AM
I'd note that if this is intended to cause explosive decompression * in large animals * one stab should do the trick just fine for a human being. No need to pull it out quickly, or at all if you need to flee the scene because of pesky witnesses or whatnot.

I'd bet that for $600 bucks a unit, anyone using one will be pretty likely to want it back.

I can see it's advantage in the target market: Divers that want a simple, effective anti-shark weapon. I'm just not seeing it as being practical for much beyond that. Certainly not for a hit man, or serial killer.

BigDon
2008-Aug-14, 02:41 PM
How deep do you have to drive that into a shark without the leverage of a spear handle?

Anybody here every stab a shark with anything?? How about stabbing a shark in the water without the deck or the ground to push back?

Now a shark large enough to be dangerous?

There ain't no target market except teen-age boys.

dgavin
2008-Aug-15, 01:30 AM
Actually the easiest and deadliest improvment you can make to any knife, and this one is no exception, is to give it a five to eight foot long handle, depending on probable application.

I sort of like the 4 Foot blade on my knife...but it's dull. Costume sword for Ren Fest. :whistle:

Ronald Brak
2008-Aug-15, 02:32 AM
Anybody here every stab a shark with anything??

Only after it's been cooked. And I can't recommend trying to stab a live one. They'll usually leave you alone if you don't annoy them. (Or at least only bite you once and swim off.) One story I heard, some guy shot a small placid shark minding its own business three times with a spear gun and each time the spear bounced off. After the third time the shark swam up and bit him on the calf.