PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Astronaut Mitchell Says Aliens Have Visited Earth

Fraser
2008-Jul-25, 07:40 PM
This story has been spreading like wildfire across the internet, as well as other news sources, which is not surprising given the topic. In a radio interview in the UK, and in a subsequent article in the Daily Register, former Apollo astronaut Edgar Mitchell said he believes there is life on other planets. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/07/25/apollo-astronaut-mitchell-says-aliens-have-visited-earth/)

Grand_Lunar
2008-Jul-26, 12:31 AM
There was another interesting statement by Mitchell during this interview: "There's more nonsense out there about this than there is real knowledge."

It's a shame that Mitchell spreads the former rather than the latter.

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-26, 01:23 AM
I have heard astronauts babble on about supernatural forces in public for years and no one called them on it. It's all woo-woo but no one cared until the magic word aliens was said.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 01:34 AM
I have heard astronauts babble on about supernatural forces in public for years and no one called them on it. It's all woo-woo but no one cared until the magic word aliens was said.

Most people (In general in the public) still ascribe to some superstitious beliefs.
Many, who are not thoroughly educated in science, entertain the notions or give them more credit than they deserve, simply because they have no reason to do otherwise, which could be remedied had they better education.

trinitree88
2008-Jul-29, 08:59 PM
Neverfly. Some people who have a fair smattering of knowledge and education nevertheless have seen things they cannot explain. ...including Steven O'Meara's survey of professional and amateur sky observors...much to his surprise. pete

Jeff Root
2008-Jul-30, 04:16 AM
Most people (In general in the public) still ascribe to some superstitious
beliefs. Many, who are not thoroughly educated in science, entertain the
notions or give them more credit than they deserve, simply because they
have no reason to do otherwise, which could be remedied had they better
education.

Neverfly. Some people who have a fair smattering of knowledge and
education nevertheless have seen things they cannot explain.
The only people who haven't seen things they cannot explain are
those who explain everything in terms of superstitious beliefs. I've seen
lots of things I can't explain.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

skyeagle409
2008-Jul-30, 06:05 AM
This story has been spreading like wildfire across the internet, as well as other news sources, which is not surprising given the topic. In a radio interview in the UK, and in a subsequent article in the Daily Register, former Apollo astronaut Edgar Mitchell said he believes there is life on other planets. [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/07/25/apollo-astronaut-mitchell-says-aliens-have-visited-earth/)

I found it very interesting and I hope more astronauts come forward as well.

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-30, 09:44 AM
The vast majority of humanity still ascribe to a complex of sperstitious ideas.

BTW, "cannot explain" in no way implies "supernatural origin". The proof of this is left as an exercise for the reader.

ETA: skyeagle409: Why do you assume that more astronauts have anything to come forward about? Strong evidence? Weak, inferential evidence? Gut feel? My gut feels like it needs some chocolate. But I doubt that there is a vast conspiracy keeping that chocolate away from me.