than either the extreme north or extreme south. Any idea what the
name might be in her original language?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 03:40 AM
Tzu?

Ronald Brak
2008-Jul-28, 03:49 AM
Shu? It kind of depends on what romanji you want to use to represent it. Sue is close enough for an English speaker. Just remember to call Beijing Beijing and not Peking and that will make up for not getting the sound exactly right.

Jens
2008-Jul-28, 04:05 AM
A young Chinese woman's first name is "Sue". I suspect that that is
an Anglicization of a Chinese name. From her appearance I'm making a
very wild guess that she is from the middle part of the country rather
than either the extreme north or extreme south. Any idea what the
name might be in her original language?

Unfortunately:

First, I don't see how you could judge from her appearance that she is from central China. People from Beijing and Shanghai and say Guanzhou don't look very different to me. So I assume she could be a speaker of any of a range of "dialects".

And secondly, the question itself is probably impossible to answer. There are a number of sounds that could sound like Sue, including Shu but also Si, which can sound like "su" in English. And in addition, many Chinese have "first names" that are two characters, so her name could even be something like say Bao Sizhu or Bao Shuli, with just the first character transliterated.

And then thirdly, don't think there is any strict rule that a Chinese person will have a Western first name that resembles the Chinese name. The actor Jackie Chan's Chinese name is Chan Kong Sang, and the sound Kongsang doesn't sound like Jackie at all. People might adopt a Western name based on somebody they like, for example.

It's probably best to ask. :)

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 04:14 AM
Chinese people uses two names . One for their Chinese name and the other is for the English Name.

I have asked my chinese friend just now and she said Sue is an English Name which is short for Susan.

They chose their English name by themselves for their foreign interactions.

My Chinese Friends name is Danxiao , and her English name is Bessie.
She personally chose it .

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 04:26 AM
ohhh really?
Can I choose a Chinese name then?

Jens
2008-Jul-28, 04:41 AM
ohhh really?

Sure. Why not?

Chinese people uses two names . One for their Chinese name and the other is for the English Name.

Most Chinese people don't. Chinese people who live abroad or have foreign dealings often do, because it's hard for non-Chinese to remember Chinese names. Some Westerners who live in China also take Chinese names, for the same reason.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-28, 04:42 AM
Jens and Whirlpool have it. Only a few of my Chinese friends and acquaintances actually have an English name that is similar to their Chinese name.

To back Jens' second point, my friend Shiya just anglicized her name, but the tonal for the "i" is something that I (and most westerners) have a hard time pronouncing. So, if Sue is anglicized, it could still be one of a few possible characters.

Neverfly, I've had that thought before, but I came out of the conversation feeling like it could be difficult. My statement that I wanted my Mandarin name to be the "Scot" part of "Scotland" didn't go anywhere. :( :) I also think that I don't fully grasp the naming rules well enough to pick one.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 04:44 AM
Neverfly, I've had that thought before, but I came out of the conversation feeling like it could be difficult. My statement that I wanted my Mandarin name to be the "Scot" part of "Scotland" didn't go anywhere. :( :) I also think that I don't fully grasp the naming rules well enough to pick one.

Oh... Good point.
ok.
I'll go with the Klingon name then...:think:

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 05:01 AM
Jens and Whirlpool have it. Only a few of my Chinese friends and acquaintances actually have an English name that is similar to their Chinese name.

Well , I don't have a Chinese name yet . Jean is my real name . :p

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 05:03 AM
I'll go with the Klingon name then...

Well.. you can use This Klingon Character Name Generator (http://www.alt-starfleet-rpg.org/misc/klingonnamegen.html)

to get your Klingon name.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 05:06 AM
Well.. you can use This Klingon Character Name Generator (http://www.alt-starfleet-rpg.org/misc/klingonnamegen.html)

to get your Klingon name.

S'soR, House of Morath.

Ok, so it took my name, made it backwards and threw an apostrophe in it.

That's imaginitive...

Jeff Root
2008-Jul-28, 08:15 AM
See, now, Jean and Ross, I accomplished my purpose -- My diabolical plan
worked perfectly.

I now know what to ask Sue when the opportunity arises.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jul-28, 09:01 AM
And then thirdly, don't think there is any strict rule that a Chinese person will have a Western first name that resembles the Chinese name. The actor Jackie Chan's Chinese name is Chan Kong Sang, and the sound Kongsang doesn't sound like Jackie at all.
No, but Chan Kong does.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 09:07 AM
worked perfectly.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HUH:confused:

Jens
2008-Jul-28, 09:19 AM
HUH:confused:

I may be totally wrong but... Jeff has met a nice Chinese girl, and wanted to impress her by knowing her Chinese name. But now that we've told him about the complications, he's got an excuse to strike up a conversation about how people are named in China, etc. Hardly diabolical, though. I think that was probably just being funny.

But again, this is just my imagination.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 09:46 AM
worked perfectly.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

See now, Jeff, If you want to ask Sue for a date you don't have to know the Origin of her name to impress her , you can just ask her out.....

If my assumption is right .

:think:

Tog
2008-Jul-28, 09:47 AM
I took his "diabolical plan" to be the way he deftly tricked two baut members into revealing their real first names.

Last summer we had a Chinese tour bus line that stopped here once or twice a week. One of the "tourist herders" was a man that said his name as "Siu" He sort of pronounced it Seeyou, with more time on the S than the whole rest of the name. To the woman that worked days, he became simple "Sue".

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 09:50 AM
I took his "diabolical plan" to be the way he deftly tricked two baut members into revealing their real first names.

What is "Diabolical" in knowing our Real name?

:think:

Tog
2008-Jul-28, 09:57 AM
Some people are very "privacy aware" and don't like to give away anything about themselves in a public forum.

I suspect that his use of "diabolical" was a joke playing on this idea.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 10:41 AM

Eh, I've revealed it before.

Jeff Root
2008-Jul-28, 10:56 AM
Tog got it. While I was posting, I realized that "Ross" sounded familiar, and
Neverfly had posted it before -- probably not long ago. So I deftly changed
my diabolical plan...

Actually, no chance of asking her out. Age difference, and I know absolutely
nothing about her. It's just that I accidentally learned her first name, while
she doesn't know mine yet, so I was wondering about how to fix that.

So I'm a dork, eh?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Tog
2008-Jul-28, 11:00 AM
So I'm a dork, eh?

If that's a reference to my sig, you may well be. I pretty much represent all three.:)

Neverfly
2008-Jul-28, 11:06 AM
Tog got it. While I was posting, I realized that "Ross" sounded familiar, and
Neverfly had posted it before -- probably not long ago.

Actually, I think someone else did first. That member is now banned but...
I think I recall saying it myself after since what's done is done.
Although those that were unfortunate enough to have suffered my presence at the Iron Cactus had learned my name.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 02:35 PM

So I'm a dork, eh?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Hmmm.. I see...:think:

Jens
2008-Jul-28, 02:43 PM

So I'm a dork, eh?

Maybe. "I know nothing about her" sounds funny. How can you know anything about anybody without asking?

I don't know about the age difference, but how about. "Hi, I'm Jeff. I saw your name on the . . . What does it mean?" :)

Nick Theodorakis
2008-Jul-28, 03:01 PM
Most of the Chinese people I know in this country (N.B.: a non-random population -- most are in science) are from one of the "big cities," usually Shanghai or Beijing (if I know their origin at all). Many stick with their Chinese names (I notice this more among the younger generation), or else their English names don't resemble their Chinese ones.

As to how they look: one my former colleagues (retired now) was born and raised in Shanghai. When we went out for Chinese food, a couple of times the waitstaff would be surprised to hear him speak Mandarin , because they thought he was Korean! It became a running in-joke for us.

Nick

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-28, 03:08 PM
Korean and Chinese have resemblance in their physical features.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jul-28, 05:46 PM
This is my Chinese name

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3996/cnameic4.jpg

ToSeek
2008-Jul-28, 05:53 PM
S'soR, House of Morath.

Ok, so it took my name, made it backwards and threw an apostrophe in it.

That's imaginitive...

You get a different name each time you hit the button. Just keep trying until you get one you like.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jul-28, 06:01 PM
You get a different name each time you hit the button. Just keep trying until you get one you like.

see, this is what's slowing down the internet.

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-28, 07:37 PM
Well , I don't have a Chinese name yet. Jean is my real name . :p
I have a Taiwanese friend whose real name is Amy. She was also given a Chinese name, though. The English name is a side-effect of her parents being over here, in grad school, twenty-odd years ago. :)

This is my Chinese name

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3996/cnameic4.jpg
Frog march, I think you need a little practice in writing Chinese. (Though I never get the stroke order right.)

Tobin Dax
2008-Jul-28, 07:43 PM
Frog march, here's a more accurate attempt at your name. It still may not be quite right, but it should be close. :D

WaxRubiks
2008-Jul-29, 12:03 AM
Frog march, here's a more accurate attempt at your name. It still may not be quite right, but it should be close. :D

yes, that's slightly better.

It is Chinese for "Carpe Diem", the motto for my life.

My American Indian name stands for "Man who can't find pencil", though I never found out how it was written.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-29, 12:04 AM
ahahaha!

I can see the Beer Gut in here !

:lol:

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-29, 12:06 AM
My American Indian name...

What tribe?

WaxRubiks
2008-Jul-29, 12:10 AM
yes, many years ago, I often spent a Night on Beer Mountain, but I ain't touched a drop in two years.

Crisps is me downfall captain, though the cockroaches usually 'ave the cheese an onion before we've left port.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jul-29, 12:21 AM
What tribe?

the Schwartzopi tribe, that live in the Valley of Timelessness.

Noon is called "The Coming of the short blackman", in reference to the short shadow cast by a stick at noon, and it is believed that noon sybolises a prophecy, when time is short, and the people need help, a door will open between the great spirit world, symbolised by the Sun, and through it will come a short black man, who will unite and save the world.

All the tribesmen are named after various inabilities to locate object, or remember things.

There is a fellow called "can't remember own name", but people callhim Scrazipolipsicaffigrations.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 05:49 AM
ohhh really?

Well here, let me put some together for you.

Sum Yung Guy

No' Long Dong (more Viet Namese than Chinese)

Lac du Wang, (more Viet Namese I guess)

Tobin Dax
2008-Aug-04, 05:52 AM
Don, I think the first one sounds Korean. :)