PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure this isn't a governmental operation?

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-28, 06:00 PM
Okay a bit of background.

I run a fleet of 16 university transit buses. They all are less than 1 year old and 5 are some pretty unusual ones made by a company we shall call "Gobby Numfraker".

The Gobby Numfraker buses were all ordered incorrectly for NYS. That is to say - they don't pass DOT regulations as-ordered. They have all been out of service for a while now because of this.

My company has been working on iterations of a "fix" for a few of these issues. The main one being a brake interlock system that has gone from a hydraulic nightmare to a mechanical hack. It works, yes, but is at best an absurdity. There are several other issues I won't get into - some of which require rewiring things without a wiring diagram (as the "as built" diagrams were not ordered).

On to the "last straw". The university requires bike racks be mounted to all of these buses. The Gobby Numfraker buses never had them installed as they were out of service. Additionally the racks ordered were not built to mount to the Gobby Numfrakers.

The company these buses were bought from sent a few guys down last week that guaranteed to have the racks mounted by this Sunday. They arrived empty-handed. They cut a 3" hole in each bumper, dropped one off at a welding shop, and left.

The welding shop made the section that goes on the bus itself. I had to come in over the weekend and build two prototype "intermediate adapters" to go between the bus and the rack units. This is because the adapters are on back-order.

They sent me a PDF with the blueprints for the adapters. They are incorrect. So we now are waiting for things to arrive that don't fit. I now have to make the remaining adapters myself.

In addition - these Gobby Numfrakers are all going through DOT again on Wednesday and next Wednesday. That is how long I have to get them up to spec, racks on, and ready to roll.

So before I have a 'sode... why am I cleaning up an incredibly long string of SOMEONE ELSE'S screw-ups?

billslugg
2008-Jul-28, 06:07 PM
Because you work for a company that buys defective, undocumented equipment looking for a bargain? Because you failed to supervise the two guys over the weekend? I don't know. What answer are you looking for?

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-28, 06:15 PM
So before I have a 'sode... why am I cleaning up an incredibly long string of SOMEONE ELSE'S screw-ups?
Because you are at the end of the line and have nobody to pass it to!

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-28, 06:18 PM
No? Do you want to take over for me? hmmm.... who to pass this one to....

Swift
2008-Jul-28, 06:24 PM
Actually, I've seen similarly messed up things in industry too. For example, we got an urget e-mail Friday that our managers need our proposals for 2009 Capital aquisitions immediately. I came up with a couple of ideas and was told, no we need more than that, we need to find more ways to spend money. :rolleyes: I said how about installing the ICP that we spent $300,000 on and is still sitting in boxes since January? Oh no, that's not capital. How about buying some human cloning equipment so we have enough technicians and maintenance people to actual run all the equipment we have now. :hand:

I guess I just don't get business management

korjik
2008-Jul-28, 06:39 PM
Actually, I've seen similarly messed up things in industry too. For example, we got an urget e-mail Friday that our managers need our proposals for 2009 Capital aquisitions immediately. I came up with a couple of ideas and was told, no we need more than that, we need to find more ways to spend money. :rolleyes: I said how about installing the ICP that we spent $300,000 on and is still sitting in boxes since January? Oh no, that's not capital. How about buying some human cloning equipment so we have enough technicians and maintenance people to actual run all the equipment we have now. :hand:

But this is only capx money. You wouldnt be able to hire the techs to run the cloning equipment, leaving you with another set of stuff sitting in boxes. :)

Swift
2008-Jul-28, 06:44 PM
But this is only capx money. You wouldnt be able to hire the techs to run the cloning equipment, leaving you with another set of stuff sitting in boxes. :)
:doh: Dang, why didn't I think of that?

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Jul-28, 07:39 PM
You are now entering Corporateville. Please check weapons and sanity in at Security. Thank you, and have a surreal day.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-28, 08:23 PM
...hmmm...who to pass this one to...."Sticker Dave!" (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/76938-complain-about-work.html) :)

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-29, 01:07 AM
Sarongsong - I would love to but even his complete ineptitude (which goes deeper than i had realized at first) cannot possibly cover all the bases on this one. No - it takes a genius of failure to do all this. I know who it was, too. One guy responsible for the entire mess. And he's too high up to touch. So it goes.

Laguna
2008-Jul-29, 06:46 AM

I wish I had your problems... :lol:
Oh, you could give me some $.
We are sitting here with a color laser printer that asks for replacement of parts, which we are not allowed to order because they are too expensive. So it will stay defective. But on the other side upper management asks for pretty colourful report printouts... :doh:

sarongsong
2008-Jul-29, 08:48 AM
...his complete ineptitude (which goes deeper than i had realized at first) cannot possibly cover all the bases on this one...I know who it was...and he's too high up to touch...Wow---now I understand the thread title; maybe if you out-bungled the both of them you'd be in the Executive Suite! :)

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-30, 06:25 AM
My brother is "bottom management". He is trying to hire a new employee, actually an in house transfer. It got whittled down to three finalists.

Number one choice works in another town and figures a 40% raise would ease the pain of moving! We all know that ain't gonna fly!

Choice number two has three decades in related fields and is my brother's choice. Case closed, right? Ha!

Upper management has decided the finalists need to be tested for computer proficiency.

Finalist number two can already do all the computer stuff he needs to do for the job. He is essentially moving from outside the building to inside the building, from transportation to shipping and receiving.

Choice number three has no experience in S&R, but knows his way around a computer. See where this is going?

My brother has been told, flat out, that if they go with his choice and it doesn't work out "heads could and probably will roll"!

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-30, 09:27 AM
Kaptain K - right but if *their* choice doesn't work out its still someone else's fault!

Laguna
2008-Jul-30, 11:17 AM
Kaptain K - right but if *their* choice doesn't work out its still someone else's fault!
No, not someone else's, its his brothers fault!
Management logic.