PDA

View Full Version : artistic endeavors

Chunky
2008-Jul-29, 10:56 AM
An update.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/hoehaver/?action=view&current=Video4.flv

im doing much better! but i still need much more practice..

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 11:29 AM
True.
You do.

:P

But yeah, you were also spinning it out really well too. I'm impressed.

What was the music?

Chunky
2008-Jul-29, 11:34 AM
umm.. the first one i played my frind made up. then the second song was a song by Three doors down( i forget the name of the song) then the nezxt was Simple man (and the other was the solo part) and i played sweet home alabama and Fade to black by metallica

and im still learning more :D:D

im so proud of myself..
my fingers dont hurt anymore either!

before they were all red.. and.. painful from fretting the strings.. man it hurt. but not anymore. Thank God!

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 11:40 AM
umm.. the first one i played my frind made up. then the second song was a song by Three doors down( i forget the name of the song) then the nezxt was Simple man (and the other was the solo part) and i played sweet home alabama and Fade to black by metallica

and im still learning more :D:D

im so proud of myself..
my fingers dont hurt anymore either!

before they were all red.. and.. painful from fretting the strings.. man it hurt. but not anymore. Thank God!

Yeah, I remember those days...:p
Red fingers, sore hands...
achy wrists...

ETA: It's actually a pic of my son goofing around- but the Guitar happens to be in it:p

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-29, 11:45 AM
achy wrists...

ETA: It's actually a pic of my son goofing around- but the Guitar happens to be in it:p

awwww.. Cute ! :p

Chunky
2008-Jul-29, 11:47 AM
achy wrists...

nice. i have an acoustic. its my grandma's. she let me borrow it. its like 10 years old Its an Arbor? my friend has an acoustic that doesnt have the fret markers on it. its soo hard to play with his guitar. he has a classical guitar too so the neck is wider and the frets farther apart. im glad im learning on an acousit because ive heard its easier to play an electric bc its smaller. so hopefully when i get pretty good on acoustic ill be a God on the electric.

you may bow :P

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 11:49 AM
awwww.. Cute ! :p

careful- get me bragging and that's a hijack...

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-29, 11:52 AM
careful- get me bragging and that's a hijack...

Threadjacker !

Maybe soon he will play your electric guitar?

Maybe our sons can be together and start a band!

:p

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 11:53 AM
Threadjacker !

Maybe soon he will play your electric guitar?

Maybe our sons can be together and start a band!

:p

He's already playin' it LOL
And breaking strings...

Hey Jonathan... Want to start a "Boy Band?"

Chunky
2008-Jul-29, 12:01 PM
He's already playin' it LOL
And breaking strings...

Hey Jonathan... Want to start a "Boy Band?"

i dont want to hate myself...

bc i hate boy bands.

but you can start one and ill try my best not to hate you :)

SeanF
2008-Jul-29, 02:09 PM
Very nice, Johnathan. :)

I got myself a guitar (electric) as an early birthday present last week. But, given, that I could count the number of times I've held a guitar on one hand, I'm not going to be uploading any videos any time soon. :naughty:

40's not to old to start, is it? :)

(BTW, Johnathan, while they say that an electric is easier because of the smaller, closer strings, I am as of yet having a devil of a time keeping my fat fingers from deadening the adjacent strings (got to get those callouses built up!). I imagine that would be less of a problem on an acoustic. :) )

Fazor
2008-Jul-29, 03:15 PM
nice. i have an acoustic. its my grandma's. she let me borrow it. its like 10 years old Its an Arbor? my friend has an acoustic that doesnt have the fret markers on it. its soo hard to play with his guitar. he has a classical guitar too so the neck is wider and the frets farther apart. im glad im learning on an acousit because ive heard its easier to play an electric bc its smaller. so hopefully when i get pretty good on acoustic ill be a God on the electric.

you may bow :P

Electric isn't necessarily smaller, the scale on my Washburn electric is very much longer than my brother's Takamine acoustic. But the action on electric guitars tends to be lower, and the strings are generally lighter, making fretting much easier. Also, because the sound is amplified by the pick-ups rather than physically though the guitar, it's more forgiving.

I haven't played my acoustic much. Honestly I don't like it very well. My friend got one for X-Mas, and his sounds beautiful. I might have to buy one.

I'm getting some money in a few weeks from an investment, and I'll be buying a semi-hollowbody (Think'n this Gretsch (http://www.music123.com/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-513282-i1166378.Music123) but my bro inherated an Ibanez from my grandfather and I like how it plays, so we'll see).

LotusExcelle
2008-Jul-29, 03:36 PM
Neverfly - Should I ask why your son was wearing a helmet in the bathroom? hmmm.

I'm still saving up to repair my acoustic and also buy a nicer one. Most likely a Seagull. I'd like to get an old Penco electric (Gibson knock-off). Also I'd like to learn how to play.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-29, 08:09 PM
Neverfly - Should I ask why your son was wearing a helmet in the bathroom? hmmm.

We have hard water here.

Fazor
2008-Jul-29, 08:40 PM
We have hard water here.
Boooooo! *throws tomatos*

ginnie
2008-Jul-29, 09:02 PM
Keep it up Jonathon.
I've been playing for 34 years and it gives me great enjoyment. My only big regret in life is that I didn't start a band. Kind of late now.

It's a good sign that you've built up your callouses. That means you've been playing just about every day. Acoustics are harder on the fingers but I recommend you learn electric too, just for the variety of sounds you can get.
I have a few acoustics at home and an electiric. Plus an electric bass which I love to jam with with friends. I also play 'Neil Young' style piano and harmonica.

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-29, 11:51 PM
I like the way Neil Young plays electric guitar. A friend calls it "best two falls out of three" guitar wrestling!

ginnie
2008-Jul-30, 12:15 AM
I like the way Neil Young plays electric guitar. A friend calls it "best two falls out of three" guitar wrestling!
Neil can play really gentle, but he also plays wild, like controlled chaos. Depending on what stage in his career you listen too, his electric guitar sound will change - from a clean "Down By the River" (1969) , towards distortion "Drive Back" (1975) to complete distortion "F#$@n Up " (1990's). He also released a full CD of feedback from his concerts.

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-30, 12:32 AM
I did not mean to denigrate Neil's guitar playing in any way. I've seen both CSN and CSN&Y play live and loved both shows. For the CSN&Y show they were backed by Booker T and the MGs, (minus Steve Cropper - sort of superfluous with four guitarists already on stage.). Totally awesome show! :dance:

ginnie
2008-Jul-30, 01:20 AM
I did not mean to denigrate Neil's guitar playing in any way. I've seen both CSN and CSN&Y play live and loved both shows. For the CSN&Y show they were backed by Booker T and the MGs, (minus Steve Cropper - sort of superfluous with four guitarists already on stage.). Totally awesome show! :dance:

When were the shows?

I saw Neil in Sept. 1987 at CNE in Toronto. He did a great show, and introduced some of his Blue Notes material. I also saw him in Aug. 1996 where he did an electric Needle and the Damage Done. The first show was better, he didn't have that organ to do Like A Hurricane then!
Neil is one those performers you either love or hate I think. A lot of people are turned off by his voice. I've learned a lot of his material, and I try to play it as he plays it - acoustic guitar, electric guitar or piano. That said, he's done a lot of his electric material on acoustic, so I do two versions sometimes.

ginnie
2008-Jul-30, 01:23 AM
An update.

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/hoehaver/?action=view&current=Video4.flv

im doing much better! but i still need much more practice..

Just thought I'd add that if you like Neil Young you'll be happy to know that much of his material is easy to play - at least passable playing. If you really get into his stuff you'll find out it gets more complicated the more you dig. ;)

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-30, 05:23 AM
When were the shows?
I really don't know. :( CSN, some time in the 90s. CSNY, late 90s or early 00s