PDA

View Full Version : Live Musical Performance on Film

ginnie
2008-Jul-30, 11:21 PM
Your favourites?

Mine:
The Last Waltz - The Band and guests - Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell...

A wonderful concert - great setting, performances and camera work. Like a night of listening to rock royalty but not pompous in any way.
Martin Scorcese directed this film, and his approach works perfectly for this concert. The editing actually makes sense . He put a lot of work into the lighting, placement of cameras and the presentation. This was The Bands last concert together.

mugaliens
2008-Jul-31, 12:18 AM
I actually liked the various scenes from "The Kids Are Alright."

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 12:32 AM
I actually liked the various scenes from "The Kids Are Alright."
That's probably the best documentary I've ever seen about a rock group.
The scene where Keith Moon's drum exploded on the Smothers Bros. show resulted in Pete's titinitus.

novaderrik
2008-Jul-31, 01:20 AM
Metallica: S&M
they just fit right in with that orchestra so well, and all the horns and strings and what not really added all the little details that have always been missing from their music and made it just that much heavier.

Graybeard6
2008-Jul-31, 01:24 AM
Concur on "The Last Waltz". Hadn't seen it until I got it for Xmas 2 years ago.
Also:
"Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field: The Labor Day Weekend Shows."
Back to you.

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 01:29 AM
Metallica: S&M
they just fit right in with that orchestra so well, and all the horns and strings and what not really added all the little details that have always been missing from their music and made it just that much heavier.
Some die hard fans hated the orchestra.
But people unfamiliar with classical music think its sweet sounding 'muzak'. They've never really listened to the '1812 Overture' or some of Wagner's works.
Personally, I thought it was done fairly well, but generally I prefer the rawest sounding stuff you can get away with. Thus, I don't like it when the Stones tour with four backup singers, three horns...
And I preferred The Beatles 'Let It Be NAKED' over the original album - I waited 35 years for them to get rid of the orchestra!

Jens
2008-Jul-31, 01:34 AM
Your favourites?

Does Spinal Tap count? :)

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-31, 01:38 AM
The scene where Keith Moon's drum exploded on the Smothers Bros. show resulted in Pete's titinitus.
And that was the result of collusion between Kieth and the stage hands to double the powder charge! They were lucky that somebody didn't get seriously hurt!

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 01:44 AM
Concur on "The Last Waltz". Hadn't seen it until I got it for Xmas 2 years ago.
Also:
"Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field: The Labor Day Weekend Shows."
Back to you.
Haven't seen that. I'm not a Buffet fan. :(

Here is a list of the music DVD's I have:
Rated (five stars the best)

Woodstock *****
Yes - Acoustic: Guarenteed No Hiss ***
Neil Young - In Germany 2002 ***
Neil Young - Year of the Horse ***
Neil Young - Weld ***
The Beatles - The Complete Ed Sullivan Shows *****
David Bowie - A Reality Tour ***
David Bowie - The Best of Bowie *****
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust ****
Queen - Live At the Bowl ****
Jimi Hendrix - Hendrix Plays Berkeley ***
Genesis - Genesis 1973 *****
The Band - The Last Waltz *****
Led Zeppelin *****
The Velvet Underground - Velvet Redux MCMXCIII ***
Roxy Music - Live at the Apollo ****
Iggy Pop - Paris '93 ***
ELP - Live 1975 **
T. Rex - Born to Boogie ***
Lou Reed - A Night With Lou Reed **
Alice Cooper - Brutally Live ***
Alice Cooper - Good to See You Again ****
The New York Dolls - All Dolled Up ****
Yes - Live at LPR 1975 ****
Black Sabbath - The Last Supper ****
Pearl Jam - Live at the Garden ***
Johnny Thunders - Live In Japan **

sarongsong
2008-Jul-31, 03:00 AM
Monterey Pop (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064689/fullcredits#cast) (1968)
...The Last Waltz - The Band and guests - Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell...Ticket price: $25.
...Martin Scorcese directed this film...Anyone seen his latest on the Stones, Shine a Light (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893382/) (2008)?

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 03:05 AM
Does Spinal Tap count? :)

Hmm. That's a tough call. I watched it again on the weekend and it was never funnier.
But, even though I'm sometimes delusionary, even I know that Spinal Tap isn't real.
Or, maybe it is too real.

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 03:11 AM
Monterey Pop (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064689/fullcredits#cast) (1968)Ticket price: $25.Anyone seen his latest on the Stones, Shine a Light (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893382/) (2008)?

No, I haven't. As good as Scorcese is though, Keith lost his chops (IMHO) years ago. Ronnie still has it though. I've never seen a good filmed Stones concert yet. At their best, they were filmed, which resulted in the GIMME SHELTER movie. Unfortuneatley, most of the movie was shot at Altamont where circumstances caused a very uneven, disrupted performance. Incredibly the live Stones album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" was recorded on the same tour and is a very, very good album. The only live Stones album I've ever really liked.

Oh, just spotted your Monterey Pop. Good movie. Good music. Really groovy.

novaderrik
2008-Jul-31, 03:17 AM
Some die hard fans hated the orchestra.
But people unfamiliar with classical music think its sweet sounding 'muzak'. They've never really listened to the '1812 Overture' or some of Wagner's works.
Personally, I thought it was done fairly well, but generally I prefer the rawest sounding stuff you can get away with. Thus, I don't like it when the Stones tour with four backup singers, three horns...
And I preferred The Beatles 'Let It Be NAKED' over the original album - I waited 35 years for them to get rid of the orchestra!
i like the stripped down "raw" sound, too, but those songs needed the "fifth member" (the orchestra) to fill in some of the missing bigness of the songs, if you know what i'm saying.
when they wrote the songs, they had a bigger sound in their heads- what with bassist Cliff Burton being a classically trained musician and a HUGE fan of classical music and all- but the budget, technology, and their inexperience didn't allow them to do the songs as they heard them in their heads the first time.
"the Call of Ktulu" always seemed only half finished before they played it with an orchestra, and "the Outlaw Torn" "Bleeding Me", and "One" just became somehow "huger" to me after i got that cd and DVD.

sarongsong
2008-Jul-31, 03:35 AM
No, I haven't...Keith lost his chops (IMHO) years ago...Hmmh, I haven't seen it yet either, so withold determination of Keith "losing his chops"---was always impressed with his ability to rip into a song like an attacking open-mouthed ravenous Great White shark. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 04:15 AM
i like the stripped down "raw" sound, too, but those songs needed the "fifth member" (the orchestra) to fill in some of the missing bigness of the songs, if you know what i'm saying.
when they wrote the songs, they had a bigger sound in their heads- what with bassist Cliff Burton being a classically trained musician and a HUGE fan of classical music and all- but the budget, technology, and their inexperience didn't allow them to do the songs as they heard them in their heads the first time.
"the Call of Ktulu" always seemed only half finished before they played it with an orchestra, and "the Outlaw Torn" "Bleeding Me", and "One" just became somehow "huger" to me after i got that cd and DVD.

If I remember correctly, the orchestra was a fully functioning 'member' of the band, not just background radiation like so many other bands use them as. That makes a big difference.

ginnie
2008-Jul-31, 04:18 AM
Hmmh, I haven't seen it yet either, so withold determination of Keith "losing his chops"---was always impressed with his ability to rip into a song like an attacking open-mouthed ravenous Great White shark. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
I guess I'm basing a lot of it on him performing at the SARS concert in Toronto a few years ago. He was bad. No other word for it.

But, Jimmy Page has been quite awful on a few occasions - see Live Aid 85 and that Atlantic Records tribute thing (I think) - yet he managed in April of this year to give a fine performance.

novaderrik
2008-Jul-31, 10:29 PM
If I remember correctly, the orchestra was a fully functioning 'member' of the band, not just background radiation like so many other bands use them as. That makes a big difference.
yeah, and the orchestra was really seriously getting into it- you could see it on their faces while they were jamming and in between songs. in any form of music, when the person doing the playing is having a good time, it shows in the final performance. i also read that most of their kids were Metallica fans, and it was a way for them to connect, i guess.