PDA

View Full Version : Shocking...Just Shocking

PetersCreek
2008-Aug-01, 06:58 PM
From the Irony in News department...

Arkansas Man Dies Tampering With Electric Meter After Service Shut Off (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,395663,00.html)

Sheriff's Major Andy Shock says Montgomery was attempting to adjust or remove the jumper cables when he was electrocuted.

Sad, foolish, and funny all at once.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-01, 09:22 PM
Darwin award candidate!

slang
2008-Aug-01, 09:31 PM
Sometimes it's not the owner that dies while doing stuff like that, but a couple of firemen trying to save the rest of the neighborhood. Something like that happened here some weeks ago.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-01, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a great entry for the OTB's Read that again? thread.

It's about crazy headlines, or items in news articles.

mike alexander
2008-Aug-02, 01:49 AM
My Cliche'-O-Meter went off scale. Arkansas, Lonnie, Skunk Hollow Road, jumper cables...

I was a bit surprised the site had a Home and not Mobile Home.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Aug-02, 04:03 AM
My Cliche'-O-Meter went off scale. Arkansas, Lonnie, Skunk Hollow Road, jumper cables...

I was a bit surprised the site had a Home and not Mobile Home.
Just remember the Jagger-Richards Law:
You can't always get what you want. ;)

And for the sake of completeness I'll mention my corollary to the law:
You don't always want what you get.

RussT
2008-Aug-02, 04:25 AM
And my 6 "P's" may come in handy every once in a while.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Perplexing Problems :lol:

pzkpfw
2008-Aug-02, 04:28 AM
Just remember the Jagger-Richards Law:

...and if you fry sometime...

Torsten
2008-Aug-02, 07:38 AM
You get watt you need.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Aug-02, 07:49 AM
Just be thankful it was not in Kentucky.

BigDon
2008-Aug-03, 11:47 PM
Just be thankful it was not in Kentucky.

Okay, I'll bite, why?

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Aug-04, 02:46 AM
Okay, I'll bite, why?
Think Kentucky and a certain restaurant chain from there.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-04, 02:48 AM

Kentucky Fried Hick-en?

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Aug-04, 02:53 AM
something along those lines.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Aug-04, 04:12 AM
When you mentioned Kentucky, I was thinking you meant the law they passed there making it legal to eat road-kill. :eek:

mike alexander
2008-Aug-04, 04:15 AM
I didn't think they needed no stinkin' law...

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 04:16 AM
Hey! I've eaten plenty of people hit by cars on the side of the road! Nothing wrong with them at all.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 04:16 AM
Plus the ocasional broke down motorist, but that's besides the point!

Tobin Dax
2008-Aug-04, 06:05 AM

Now you see, if you lived here you would think Waffle House. Which is a horrible restaurant. I've been here for a year and still haven't found a good-quality place for a good sit-down breakfast.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 06:49 AM
Now you see, if you lived here you would think Waffle House. Which is a horrible restaurant. I've been here for a year and still haven't found a good-quality place for a good sit-down breakfast.

Tobin, Big Red's off El Camino in south San Francisco, near the Brentwood Bowl.

If you are into the the East Coast Jewish New York burroughs thing then Four Brothers Restarant in Millbrae. Serve portions so big they make *me* blush. About 25% of the time, even if I'm working out heavy and sucking down 6000 calories a day, I still find I can't finish their breakfasts about 25% of the time.

BigDon
2008-Aug-04, 06:57 AM
I recall ordering "cheese blintz'es" there one time because it was something East Coasty and something I've never had. Could only finish a quarter of it and not because it was bad! Just too rich!

And the first time I heard the phrase "a bagel and a smear!" was there. I was raised amoung Italian Catholics who can appear similar on the surface to the uninitiated. Very different below the surface. (No laughing from either side please!)

Salty
2008-Aug-04, 07:12 AM
"Blush" Awhile back, here in Texas, two men broke into one of those Transformer Pens. You visualize the big boxes, heavy wires, main cables going out? They were after the copper in the wires.
Oh, yeah.
Clamped into a live wire and one died and one hospitalized. Another Darwin award.

Stuart van Onselen
2008-Aug-04, 09:48 AM
Theft of copper wiring (telephone and power) is endemic in South Africa. It's practically an industry. But for every clever, "professional" criminal, there are usually a dozen thuggish, stupid wannabes. So we get a lot of KFH(uman).

NEOWatcher
2008-Aug-04, 12:52 PM
Sounds like a great entry for the OTB's Read that again? thread.
I would say "dumb criminals" thread. After all, he was trying to steal electricity.

"Blush" Awhile back, here in Texas, two men broke into one of those Transformer Pens...
Find a link, and we can add it to the copper theft count over here (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/51807-dumb-criminals-9.html#post1245290).

mike alexander
2008-Aug-04, 03:56 PM
The proper request is "bagel and a schmeer". Anyone who orders a "bagel and a smear" is

a) not from New York or Miami

b) going to get what he or she deserves.

When served the bagel, the proper response is, "You call THAT a schmeer?"

Salty
2008-Aug-04, 05:36 PM
Celestial Mechanic -

About ten years ago, just south of Benbrook, TX on Hwy 377 I passed a restruant.
It's name was "Road Kill Cafe". Folks here in Texas just go ahead, without laws against, don't need laws for. Anyway, I never ate there, and don 't aim to start now.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Aug-04, 05:39 PM
Celestial Mechanic -- About ten years ago, just south of Benbrook, TX on Hwy 377 I passed a restaurant. Its name was "Road Kill Cafe". Folks here in Texas just go ahead, without laws against, don't need laws for. Anyway, I never ate there, and don 't aim to start now.
Reminds me of a T-shirt I saw once for a "Road Kill Cafe". I'm not sure if it was for a real restaurant or not, but the funniest part was a listing on the back of the daily specials, such as "Tuesday -- Poodles and Noodles". Wish I could remember more of it ... :think:

captain swoop
2008-Aug-04, 05:47 PM
It's the railway system that gets hit in the UK. At the moment the majority of delays are being caused by theft of signalling and track circuit cables from the lineside. They fasten it to the towbar on a truck and just rip hundreds of yards out at a time.

Lead Flashing off a church roof is a good staple as well as the wiring, and copper water / gas piping out of empty houses.

DyerWolf
2008-Aug-04, 05:51 PM
And my 6 "P's" may come in handy every once in a while.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Perplexing Problems :lol:

Proper Prior Plumbing Prevents Poor-Performing ****oirs

mugaliens
2008-Aug-04, 06:26 PM
It's the railway system that gets hit in the UK. At the moment the majority of delays are being caused by theft of signalling and track circuit cables from the lineside. They fasten it to the towbar on a truck and just rip hundreds of yards out at a time.

That wouldn't be the same electric railway you were defending in the "return to steam" thread, would it?

Just curious...[/QUOTE]

Tobin Dax
2008-Aug-04, 10:15 PM
Tobin, Big Red's off El Camino in south San Francisco, near the Brentwood Bowl.

If you are into the the East Coast Jewish New York burroughs thing then Four Brothers Restarant in Millbrae. Serve portions so big they make *me* blush. About 25% of the time, even if I'm working out heavy and sucking down 6000 calories a day, I still find I can't finish their breakfasts about 25% of the time.
Thanks for the tips, Don. If I ever make it to either city, I'll keep those in mind.

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2008-Aug-04, 10:20 PM
That wouldn't be the same electric railway you were defending in the "return to steam" thread, would it?

Just curious...

:naughty:

Thieves aren't stealing the overhead catenary, they're taking the cables for the trackside signals. It's a problem for electric and non-electric railways alike.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-05, 08:55 AM
What George says. Signal and track circuit wiring is what they steal, no signals no trains.
Grosmont Yard (our engine sheds) got done over a couple of months ago, only scrap was taken (old firebars, bogie springs and such), Most of our signals are of the manual 'semaphore' type and we don't have much electrical cable by the track.

Salty
2008-Aug-05, 10:35 AM
Hi, Captain Swoop -

Electric railway cables? Good grief. I hope there's no accidents.

In the back of my mind, several thoughts. Here in the 'States, churches, businesses, vacant houses are all hit, for copper, mostly. The other thought, is here in Texas, there's preplanning discussion of a fast rail between DFW, Houston and Austin. And, I'm wondering, wouldn't copper thieves hit that, too? Would there be accidents, when a 120mph-150mph train hit a stretch of track with no cables? So much for progress.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-05, 11:13 AM
It's not the power cables so much as the ones controlling the signals and the 'track circuits' that tell the signalmen where the train is.

There are incidents where power cables have been grabbed and a man was killed a few weeks ago on Tyneside while trying to steal copper from an electricity sub station. Drfain covers and Manhole covers are faves to steal as well.

Part of the problem is that in tghe UK all the scrap dealers work in cash and the scrap goes into shipping containers and off to China.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-05, 11:23 AM
For example todays scrap prices

Copper wire 3200 per metric ton
Copper pipe 3100 per ton