PDA

View Full Version : "Shark Week"

Fazor
2008-Aug-04, 02:25 PM
Okay, if you even flip past the Discovery channel from time to time, it's easy to notice that it is "Shark Week" once again.

I've been watching the programs off and on, but it got me thinking. Sharks are probably my favorite animals; they're beautiful, gracefull, awe-inspiring, and just plain facinating. But I also find them absolutely terrifing; I mean to the point where just laying in bed thinking about them gives me a moderate scare. That's the point that I personally would start calling it a phobia; which is weird for a guy who's not really afraid of things.

I grew up around boats (albiet in small, inland lakes in the middle of Ohio). I love the water, I love fishing, I love the ocean. I'd really like to learn to surf, but I don't know that I'd ever be able to overcome my fear of sharks enough to do that. :-P

Yet could spend hours on end at the aquarium just watching the sharks swim in circles.

I kinda have a feeling that (aside from the borderline extreeme fear of them), a lot of other people feel the same way. Hence Shark Week's popularity.

Anyway, just thought I'd start a thread and see who else has been watching.

Jason
2008-Aug-04, 04:38 PM
I'm a bit annoyed at the constant harping on how humans are ruining everything. Can't we just enjoy watching an airborn great white chomp down on some seals without the sermon?

mugaliens
2008-Aug-04, 07:03 PM
I'll bet the sharks feel about swimmers the same way we feel about sharks.

Marge - "AHHH!!!! There are those thick pink and chocolate things bobbing up and down in the waves, again!!!"

Harold - "I know, dead - I know! I keep swimming near them, before jetting away, hoping they'll crawl back up on the beach where they came from, but they don't seem to notice. What're they? Blind or somthing?"

Marge - "Well, Harold - you simply MUST do something! Why don't you bite them, or something. Maybe they'll go away then."

Harold - "What're you kidding me? Have you ever tasted one? I have! It tasted like Uncle Jester's Kapflugah, I'm telling you. Horrible! I had to spit it out immediately and run way, jaws wide, trying to flush the taste from my mouth. Horrible!"

Jens
2008-Aug-05, 04:31 AM
Yet could spend hours on end at the aquarium just watching the sharks swim in circles.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same. I love watching them, but I can't even go swimming in a lake without wondering whether that thing that just brushed my leg was...

SkepticJ
2008-Aug-05, 10:29 AM
I'm a bit annoyed at the constant harping on how humans are ruining everything. Can't we just enjoy watching an airborn great white chomp down on some seals without the sermon?

Well, to be fair, we are. That said, it's like global warming: they'll inject it whenever they can -- be it ever so artificial -- into a program, just to make sure you know about it, in case you've been living under a pile of rocks in Montana.*

*No offense intended to those persons who've spend time, whether in the past or currently, under a pile of rocks in Montana.

BigDon
2008-Aug-05, 06:24 PM
Hey Fazor, you gave me an idea for the next installment of the flightdeck thread.

Fazor
2008-Aug-05, 06:29 PM
Hey Fazor, you gave me an idea for the next installment of the flightdeck thread.

Something tells me this story won't be one that will go far in helping ease my fear of these amazing animals... :)

sabianq
2008-Aug-05, 06:38 PM
i heard that if you drop a neodymium magnet in a tank of sharks they will all recoil and try to get as far away from the magnet as possible.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2007/05/sharkmagnets
http://coastalblog.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/rare-earth-magnets-repel-sharks/

apparently it doesn't work for all species of shark.

Fazor
2008-Aug-05, 06:45 PM
i heard that if you drop a neodymium magnet in a tank of sharks they will all recoil and try to get as far away from the magnet as possible.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/news/2007/05/sharkmagnets
http://coastalblog.wordpress.com/2007/06/19/rare-earth-magnets-repel-sharks/

apparently it doesn't work for all species of shark.

I read an article about that, and the shark-week Mythbuster's special did a segment on magnets as shark repelants. It seems that they work alright with smaller sharks, but I don't think they had much effect on larger ones (and those are the ones I personally care most about ;)).

BigDon
2008-Aug-05, 08:24 PM
Done. And nope, you are right. Creepiest story I could think of at the moment.

Delvo
2008-Aug-05, 11:20 PM
An aircraft carrier that can have sharks anywhere near its flight deck would seem to have much bigger problems than sharks at the moment...

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-06, 01:42 PM
I'm fine with sharks. It's octopi that scare me like heck.

BigDon
2008-Aug-06, 04:14 PM
An octopots has done got Albert!

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-07, 10:54 AM
I am also fine with sharks, after all I live ~500Km from the nearest ocean faring shark (the Zambezi whites are a different story). What keeps me awake at night are the south African giant python (I'm too big for food, but he can still kill anyway), a black mamba (this snake has attitude written all over it) and off course the nile crocs (need I say more).

JustAFriend
2008-Aug-08, 02:33 AM
Shark Week = Stock car racing.

Everyone says they come for the racing, but all they're waiting for it the wrecks.

I live on the Southeast coast of Florida and the biggest problem we're having here right now (if you seen the news we've had a lot of shark bites lately) is that over the last couple of decades they've built a LOT of man-made reefs to boost the native fish populations. The sharks that used to migrate through found that they now have a permanent supply of food and have stopped migrating, staying on our coast in massive swarms.

The locals here used to know what Spring months to stay out of the water, but now you can get bit anytime of the year....

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-08, 06:34 AM
This must then be a win win for the sharks. No irritating land dwellers all year round, nice.

jlgrant
2008-Aug-10, 12:40 AM
Poo. I thought this thread would include a link to Hockey Zombie's Shark Week as well.

closetgeek
2008-Aug-11, 09:14 PM
Something tells me this story won't be one that will go far in helping ease my fear of these amazing animals... :)

It's okay Fazor, just punch them in the nose. They don't like that. Actually that is just something i heard once. I have no idea if it's true. But should it fail, I also heard that dragging a shark in reverse will do them in.

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-11, 11:23 PM
It's okay Fazor, just punch them in the nose. They don't like that. Actually that is just something i heard once. I have no idea if it's true. But should it fail, I also heard that dragging a shark in reverse will do them in.
If you are attacked by a shark, the best thing to do is punch it in the gills. Dive Training magazine says so.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-11, 11:32 PM
The gills may be more sensitive, but the nose is the first thing I can reach if it's coming at me, so that's what I'll be aiming for.
Also, somehow I think trying to hit something on the side of a moving shark is harder than hitting the front.

BigDon
2008-Aug-11, 11:38 PM
Except of course that, like dogs, they are animals that are evolved to attack things with their faces. Their faces are rock hard having caught, dispatched and eaten several in my life. Their heads and faces are not soft and squishy in the least. Just so you are prepared for it.

BigDon
2008-Aug-11, 11:39 PM
To practice, punch a sandpaper covered log.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-12, 01:21 AM
Ok. I did read that they have quite a lot of sensory equipment stuck in/on that forward dome though which was the reason given for punching it.
Screaming through your mouthpiece was another suggestion which I expect I'd try too, as well as laying down a train of scent-covering material:)

Fazor
2008-Aug-12, 01:34 AM
Except of course that, like dogs, they are animals that are evolved to attack things with their faces. Their faces are rock hard having caught, dispatched and eaten several in my life. Their heads and faces are not soft and squishy in the least. Just so you are prepared for it.

Yeah. They tested the "Punch da nose!" thing on Mythbuster's. It *worked* (though they were just swimming by in an exploritory manner, I'm not so convinced it'd work if they were on full-on attack mode). But they said their noses were so hard that they hurt their hands... and these were "little" 4-5ft sharks. I can't imagine if they were big Tigers or Whites.

Gills/eyes are suppose to be better, but with the suddeness and violence of an attack, it'd take a lot of luck combined with quick thinking/reaction in order to hit 'em there.

Oh, and on a side note; above I talked about Hammers and how I had heard how vicious they are. Since I've seen a special on them, and according to Discovery they're not actually that dangerous to humans because their mouths are so small.

Jens
2008-Aug-12, 01:43 AM
But should it fail, I also heard that dragging a shark in reverse will do them in.

Where did you hear that? I have absolutely no expertise. But have you ever tried dragging even a small fish in reverse? If you grab a shark by the tail and try to drag it backward, I'm pretty sure the only thing you would accomplish would be to get you hands injured fromt the tail, and then maybe to get bitten.

I've also heard that punching the nose is the best thing to do, probably because it's accessible if you're being attacked. Trying to poke the eyes is also a possibility.

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-12, 06:35 AM
Jens, I think the dragging shark in reverse thing was meant as a joke.
For me the best option is to stay out of their way (i.e. do not swim in shark infested water). Locally we have the "leaping/flying" great whites, there is no chance to punch/scream/drag/feel pain, it end quickly for the victim (mostly seals).

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-12, 06:49 AM
I just had a thought, punching the nose sounds like one of those anecdote-reinforced "everyone knows" things where you only hear one side.

If punching the nose actually just make sharks angry and provoked a frenzy 90% of the time, evidence would be strongly in favor of punching as the eaten people couldn't tell they'd tried punching it and we'd only head from the people who punched the other 10% who only got annoyed enough to leave.

BigDon
2008-Aug-12, 04:24 PM
Jens, I think the dragging shark in reverse thing was meant as a joke.
For me the best option is to stay out of their way (i.e. do not swim in shark infested water). Locally we have the "leaping/flying" great whites, there is no chance to punch/scream/drag/feel pain, it end quickly for the victim (mostly seals).

Oh, I hate this season's Shark Week for saying you guys have the only "flying Great Whites". What a load of hoowie. They do the exact same thing off both the Faralons (28 miles west of me) and Ano Nuevo Islands (60 miles south). Both seal rookeries.

A snorkler got nailed hard north of Point Reyes last winter with the flying torpedo attack by an estimated two tonner. Even though the shark bit into his chest the force of the impact snapped off the diver's head.

Ha! Top that South Africa! We have flying, head snapping, Great Whites! Found nowhere else on Earth!

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-12, 08:51 PM
For me the best option is to stay out of their way (i.e. do not swim in shark infested water).
Also, if there are sharks in your general area, do not swim when you have a cut.

Fazor
2008-Aug-12, 08:53 PM
Also, if there are sharks in your general area, do not swim when you have a cut.

And certainly don't flop around on the top of the water while shouting, "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm a big, dying fish! Now I'm a sea turtle! Watch my seal impersonation!!!"

Neverfly
2008-Aug-12, 09:31 PM
And certainly don't flop around on the top of the water while shouting, "Hey everyone, look at me! I'm a big, dying fish! Now I'm a sea turtle! Watch my seal impersonation!!!"

Unlike a Pool, you can pee in the water.

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-12, 09:40 PM
Sounds like something Mr. Joe would do.

BigDon
2008-Aug-13, 12:34 AM
Unlike a Pool, you can pee in the water.

Think about that Nev.

Why do sharks follow a blood trail? Is it a law o' physics, like magnetism? No, it's not. Sharks eat animals, so blood in the water indicates to the shark that an animal is present. Now you may have noticed that plants don't pee. Well it seems sharks have figured out that plants don't pee a long time ago.

Urine in the water does indeed draw sharks, but mainly only those that are known to take mammalian prey...

closetgeek
2008-Aug-14, 05:55 PM
Where did you hear that? I have absolutely no expertise. But have you ever tried dragging even a small fish in reverse? If you grab a shark by the tail and try to drag it backward, I'm pretty sure the only thing you would accomplish would be to get you hands injured fromt the tail, and then maybe to get bitten.

I've also heard that punching the nose is the best thing to do, probably because it's accessible if you're being attacked. Trying to poke the eyes is also a possibility.

Jens, that was a joke. IMHO about as possible as landing a good one on the nose mid feeding frenzy.