PDA

View Full Version : Bookmarks Deleted?

Gillianren
2008-Aug-08, 04:32 PM
I woke up this morning, got online, and discovered that Opera has deleted all of my bookmarks but the one--TalkOrigins, one I don't use terribly often. Firefox still has 'em, but I had a lot more things bookmarked in Opera. Does anyone know what caused this? Does anyone know if I can get them back? The weird part is that Opera had them, shut itself down twice, and when I opened it the third time, the bookmarks, which had been there before, were gone.

Fazor
2008-Aug-08, 04:37 PM
I've never liked Opera, so I haven't used it much, but I found this site (http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/378/) that might help.

It looks like Opera BM's are kept in a .adr file. Maybe do a search for *.adr and see if for some reason the name of the file was changed.

Tinaa
2008-Aug-08, 04:41 PM
I suffered the same thing several times with Firefox. I had started a thread several months ago. Never have found out why it keeps happening.

http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/66899-lost-all-bookmarks.html

tdvance
2008-Aug-08, 05:52 PM
The only time I've lost bookmarks (this was back in the Netscape heyday) was when I ran Netscape on one (networked) computer at work, went downstairs to a conference, logged into the same account from a computer there and needed to bring it up again, it complained that Netscape was already running, so I "broke the lock" and ran it anyway, and when I went back upstairs, found that my bookmarks were gone. Kind of a "race condition".

Another possibility is the browser crashing right when it's writing out to the bookmark file (annoyingly, that old version of netscape did so even when the bookmarks didn't change--I don't know if Firefox/Opera do that or not but if they do, crashing at the wrong time can spell trouble).

tdvance
2008-Aug-08, 05:55 PM
ok third possibility--I don't know about Opera, but Firefox has a concept of "profiles" so you CAN run two copies on the same machine, each with a different profile (useful for multiple users networked to the same server). Each profile has its own bookmarks, so switching profiles means not getting the old bookmarks. Now, to switch profiles accidentally? Not an easy thing to do. Using Vista at home and changing the spelling of your user name might do that, though....

Gillianren
2008-Aug-08, 05:59 PM
I don't have Vista; I have XP. I followed the help instructions and got a handful of bookmarks that weren't mine, some of which I won't use. There's a "speed dial" page when you open a new tab, and that still has my saved pages in it, but that's only the seven pages I'm most likely to want running at the same time as something else. Not the forty or so pages I had bookmarked.

Fazor
2008-Aug-08, 06:10 PM
I don't have Vista; I have XP. I followed the help instructions and got a handful of bookmarks that weren't mine, some of which I won't use. There's a "speed dial" page when you open a new tab, and that still has my saved pages in it, but that's only the seven pages I'm most likely to want running at the same time as something else. Not the forty or so pages I had bookmarked.

Did you search your HDD for a *.adr file?
I didn't actually read the help instructions on that page, just the symptoms.

slang
2008-Aug-08, 06:13 PM
http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup

Haven't used it with Firefox 3 yet so a little testing might be needed before you rely on it... Just saying, don't lose those Firefox bookmarks as well :eek:

Gillianren
2008-Aug-08, 07:22 PM
Did you search your HDD for a *.adr file?
I didn't actually read the help instructions on that page, just the symptoms.

I did, yes. It gave me, among other things, a bookmark for a page I'd never heard of, plus the Opera pages, and that was pretty much it.