PDA

View Full Version : Constellation Project Parachute Tests: Ares I Success, Orion Failure

Fraser
2008-Aug-10, 10:30 AM
At the end of last month, the Orion crew module and the Ares I rocket parachute systems underwent a series of drop tests. The "drogue parachute" that will gently slow the descent of the spent first-stage motor of the Ares vehicle appeared to function as expected over the Arizona skies. However, an Orion test failed, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/08/10/constellation-project-parachute-tests-ares-i-success-orion-failure/)

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-10, 11:14 PM
It doesn't sound serious, and it's always best to have a failure in testing instead of later.

Extravoice
2008-Aug-13, 03:36 PM
I'd thought that the Apollo and Gemini capsules were "self righting", is that not the case with Orion?

Tuckerfan
2008-Aug-18, 12:18 AM
I'd thought that the Apollo and Gemini capsules were "self righting", is that not the case with Orion?

It water, yes. In atmosphere, I don't know, but there could be a number of factors at play here. One of which would be the height at which the Orion mock up was dropped. If the altitude wasn't high enough for the capsule to right itself, then it simply couldn't be done.