PDA

View Full Version : Customer Support Manual

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-11, 03:13 AM
Providing quality tech support to a customer has never been easier!

Simply aim towards the board, throw, and your problem is diagnosed instantly!

The numbers on the outside are the number of times you should suggest the procedure be repeated before calling back.

If you hit the board but outside the circle, Try Linux covers the top half of out-of-area space, and Witchdoctor covers the bottom half of out-of-area space.

http://pix.nofrag.com/e/6/2/50b3ca7971cae8965a939eb8b8857.jpg

mugaliens
2008-Aug-11, 04:37 PM
Few of the tech support people really have a clue. They simply enter keywords and their "intelligent" systems cough up have a dozen probable causes and solutions. All they do is walk you through those solutions.

tdvance
2008-Aug-11, 05:31 PM
I called tech support to tell them packets were being dropped by server xxx.xxx. I got an e-mail message with the ticket number and the explanation:"

"pockets dropped by xxx.xxx"

hmmm--typo or someone who really thought servers drop pockets?

Fazor
2008-Aug-11, 08:19 PM
"pockets dropped by xxx.xxx"

hmmm--typo or someone who really thought servers drop pockets?

It's a tech support guy...what that ticket means is he's mad because he dropped his hot-pockets at lunch, so your issue will not be looked at today.

I've been having a lot of trouble with what I suspect is a router dropping packets while playing one of my online games....but I don't know how to track it down or route around it.

turbo-1
2008-Aug-11, 08:31 PM
Congrats on 4000, Fazor. When I called Dell customer support to complain that my brandly-new wide LCD monitor was noticeably pinkish on the right half (split right down the middle) than the left, the nice Indian script-reader with the all-too-American name told me that I should degauss the monitor. I explained that it was an LCD, but he persisted, so I waited a few seconds, and said "Nope! that didn't help." and we went through all his useless suggestions until he finally agreed to send a replacement. The replacement came in a box that said "refurbished" and it had exactly the same problem. The next replacement had consistent color from left to right, but had large blocks of stuck pixels, giving me lots of colored hot spots. After about the 4th replacement, I got a monitor that was acceptable. I don't know if I'll buy a Dell when this one needs replacement. Their customer service is a joke.

Fazor
2008-Aug-11, 08:36 PM
Congrats on 4000, Fazor. Why, thank you. I didn't even notice :lol:

I don't know if I'll buy a Dell when this one needs replacement. Their customer service is a joke.
That's putting it niceley. I've bought a few PC's and a laptop through Dell. Between their Cust Service, their Billing Department, and their telemarketing campaign aimed at current customers, they've lost my business.

Oh, and don't tell me your name is Bill if you can't pronounce 'Bill'. I'm not as stupid as I look.

tdvance
2008-Aug-11, 08:38 PM
It's a tech support guy...what that ticket means is he's mad because he dropped his hot-pockets at lunch, so your issue will not be looked at today.

I've been having a lot of trouble with what I suspect is a router dropping packets while playing one of my online games....but I don't know how to track it down or route around it.

I'm sure my tech support would be happy if I called and said, "I'm trying to play these online games from the work computer with others in the office, but that durn router keeps dropping packets--can you reduce the load on it by shutting down some critical mission activities?"

tdvance
2008-Aug-11, 08:40 PM
Yeah, it was either Dell or Verizon, the phone representative said her name was "America"--I wonder if that was a dummy name put in the scripts and they were supposed to replace it with their own American pseudonym.

Fazor
2008-Aug-11, 08:47 PM
I'm sure my tech support would be happy if I called and said, "I'm trying to play these online games from the work computer with others in the office, but that durn router keeps dropping packets--can you reduce the load on it by shutting down some critical mission activities?"

:) I meant from home. I'd be in heaven if I could play Age of Conan at work and get away with it.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-11, 10:28 PM

If your router is dropping packets while playing one of your online games, it's time to scold your router and tell it that it's not allowed to play your online games.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-11, 11:03 PM
Talking about customer support, anyone know how to get in contact with Google mail's real tech people?

I've identified a bug in their mailers and haven't figured out a way to tell the people who can actually fix it.

I know I may be slightly delusional in expecting them to give a damn about a bug in their mailers that only affects mail to someone else's customers.

jj_0001
2008-Aug-11, 11:56 PM
Yeah, well, some years ago our DNS disappeared on all of the 'puters in our house at once.

Call up our cable modem provider (name omitted for recent improvements in perf). Get "customer service".

*** Cable, may I help you.
We've lost our DNS
I'm sorry sir, we don't offer DNS. Is this for the internet or TV?
Domain name service is part of internet connectivity.
Oh, is this your home number
(delay)
Sir, your modem is working fine, the problem must be on your end.
Um, actually, no, we can't get any service to find addresses on the internet.
Well, sir, you probably caught a virus, then, they are always going around.
Let me get this straight. My linux, XP and W98 boxes have all caught viruses at the same time?
Most likely, that's how it works, sir.
Uh, I can get out via numerical addresses just fine.
I'm sorry sir, that doesn't matter.
Um, could I talk to a supervisor?
I'm sorry sir, I can't help you, you need to get your computers fixed. (click)

About 30 minutes later, DNS came back up.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-12, 12:46 AM
About 30 minutes later, DNS came back up.

Wise guy probably had a supervisor who monitored the call and actually decided to DO something about the problem and fix the DNS for your line.

Fazor
2008-Aug-12, 01:19 AM
If your router is dropping packets while playing one of your online games, it's time to scold your router and tell it that it's not allowed to play your online games.

It's not *my* router... I suspect it's some router along the grand 'ol Internet highway. The game is young and wasn't programmed spectacularly well, and I think the packets it sends can get rather large. I suspect that one or more router between me and the game server are dropping large packets (black-hole routers) instead of breaking them up.

SP 3 seems to have helped a bit.

ginnie
2008-Aug-12, 02:43 AM
Providing quality tech support to a customer has never been easier!

Simply aim towards the board, throw, and your problem is diagnosed instantly!

The numbers on the outside are the number of times you should suggest the procedure be repeated before calling back.

If you hit the board but outside the circle, Try Linux covers the top half of out-of-area space, and Witchdoctor covers the bottom half of out-of-area space.

http://pix.nofrag.com/e/6/2/50b3ca7971cae8965a939eb8b8857.jpg

You're template is too small for my dart board...

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-12, 06:38 AM
It's not *my* router... I suspect it's some router along the grand 'ol Internet highway. The game is young and wasn't programmed spectacularly well, and I think the packets it sends can get rather large. I suspect that one or more router between me and the game server are dropping large packets (black-hole routers) instead of breaking them up.

SP 3 seems to have helped a bit.
Routers are capable of disassembling over sized packets, but the programmer may have set the Don't Fragment bit in a mistaken misunderstanding of what it does, if so, the routers are following the standards in dropping the packets.

jokergirl
2008-Aug-12, 12:16 PM
Few of the tech support people really have a clue. They simply enter keywords and their "intelligent" systems cough up have a dozen probable causes and solutions. All they do is walk you through those solutions.

Actually, those that do have a clue get discouraged by evil companies forcing them to go through a "script" with every customer even though there are better ways to diagnose and fix non-standard problems (especially with customers that do have a clue).
That's why they stop working in tech support quickly.

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Packing-Done-Right.aspx
Dell's tech support must be modelled after the intelligence of their mailing team :)

;)

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-12, 02:18 PM
Back in the late 90's I had a fairly interesting tech problem on my video editing machine. I remember the specs even: PII 450, 160megs ram, 80gig RAID, and a Radius firewire card for capture.

I could NOT for the life of me get the Radius card to work. Called up Radius they said it must be the computer. Called up the PC manufacturer (I hadn't started building my own at that point) and they said its an OS issue. Called Microsoft... well you can imagine how that went. I waited 2 hours on the line, spent about 2 more hours explaining what I had tried, etc, still nothing.

I was at my wits end. No one could tell me why I couldn't get the card to work.

Finally a guy that runs the PC building section of where my dad works goes "yeah just go into bios and have it reset the IRQs".

Sure enough - it freaking worked. It turned out the Radius card really wanted to be on IRQ 9 or 11. And the PII 450 for some reason ate up a bunch of IRQs. Can't remember why. When I reset it in BIOS the Radius card got the IRQ it wanted and everything was peachy.

Freaking nightmare, though.

Fazor
2008-Aug-12, 02:31 PM
Oh man, I remember the days of IRQ conflicts. I did it the opposite; I started building my own machines at age 14 (obviously financed through parents ;)). Now I'm too broke, lazy, and out of the loop to do that, so I buy them pre-built.

jokergirl
2008-Aug-12, 04:32 PM
They popped up again with dualcore systems. It's annoying when some dumb bios tries to put devices on IRQs the system does not physically have.

;)

jj_0001
2008-Aug-12, 09:25 PM
Oh man, I remember the days of IRQ conflicts. I did it the opposite; I started building my own machines at age 14 (obviously financed through parents ;)). Now I'm too broke, lazy, and out of the loop to do that, so I buy them pre-built.

I hear you. Nowdays I spec what I want, and let the shop put it together, load the os and the office package. That way, they usually find if something is FUBAR right away, and I don't get to stand on my head.

I do spec the systems myself, leading to some odd disccusions like "yes, I really do want that extra fan, yes, I know, you don't think I need it", "yes, I know that's a low-capacity, low-noise fan, that's why you're putting 3 of them in the box", etc.

Yeah, I do audio and acoustics for a living. There might be a hint of it in the preceeding paragraph. You can also guess what I do with my quad core processors, too. (CHOMP!)

And they can see all those little tiny wires, too, without a second set of glasses. :sigh:

jokergirl
2008-Aug-13, 12:00 PM
If you want low noise, why not build a watercooled system?

jj_0001
2008-Aug-13, 05:47 PM
If you want low noise, why not build a watercooled system?

Too twitchy, too expensive. I tend to change boxes every year or so. Maybe someday.