PDA

View Full Version : The remembering of seas left slumbering

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-11, 02:28 PM
I remember when I was a wee little lad. It was in California - and I think I was 2 or 3 years old. There was a comet coming and it would be visible. So my brother and I went out back to stare at the sky with our binoculars. My ears were basically non-functional then. That is to say they flat-lined on a tympanogram. i could hear just not that well. And "comet" sounded, or at least I interpreted it as "comic". I had visions of ROM, a comic book we had back then, flying through the sky. And for some reason I also thought it would have a cat's tail behind it.

Sky-watching was a habit that my brother and I kept up right up until he left for college. I vividly remember brotherly bonding when I was 12. We'd lay on the back porch in Nebraska (great for seeing stars). And talk about how we wished a brand new Amiga would fall from the sky. This is also around the time I started having hypnagogic hallucinations. Thankfully it wasn't long after they began that my brother, pre-med, told me about what they could be. I never hallucinated aliens ever again.

I look up in the sky from time to time and still wish things would fall from it. preferably not circular saw blades. That happened once. But I was bored and my friends were crazy. Its a miracle no one got killed.

The storms here aren't as good as the ones I remember. In Florida we would play Jarts during hurricanes. In Nebraska it would stay bright from lightning for minutes on end. And the lightning had *color* sometimes. Red and greens mostly.

Here I see sodium arc glow in the sky. The storms come and go like a speeding train. I get up early enough that I get to see the sky in pre-dawn. It is my favorite time of the day. I wish the entire world could be stuck in pre-dawn. It is glorious.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-11, 03:47 PM
Beautiful, LotusExcelle.

:)

It was so long ago, yet as fresh as this morning, as my Mom handed me two emptied milk cartons, now filled with ice.

Just five, I knew what to do.

I grabbed Dad's hammer off his workbench, the one filled with small dents and gouges from the things he'd either repaired for us, or from one car project or another. The old green Coleman cooler was beneath the workbench.

I slid it out, the aluminum exterior scraping across the concrete before opening it up and getting a whif of what two weeks in a hot garage does to a cooler. After rinsing it out in the warming green grass next to the garage, I began hammering at those milk cartons, and the ice began pouring out in chunks, ka-thunking into the cooler. As soon as the first pair were done, Mom brought the drinks and two more milk cartons filled with ice. In went the root beers, the cokes, and the clear ones only Mom liked, my mouth watering at the thought of grabbing one as soon as we arrived at the lake. I I covered the drink layer with more ice before Mom appeared with the food and the last two milk cartons filled with ice.

"Give me a hand," called my Dad, and I dropped the last carton on top of the food as I ran over to help him with the boat. He didn't need to say a word, as I knew what to do. I'd done it dozens of times.

As he positioned himself at the tongue of the trailer, I knelt down next to the right wheel, and grabbed the chock. He pushed, backing the boat wheel off the chock. I pulled, and the trailer began moving forward, steered by my father as it rolled out of the garage and up towards the back of our car.

I jumped up with a grin on my face and ran back to finish the cooler as my brother walked out of the house with two bags full of towels and rag-shirts.

After my Dad hitched the trailer, I helped him lift the cooler into the trunk of the car, and we were soon pulling out of the driveway, headed for yet another adventurous day at the lake.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-11, 04:08 PM
The storms here aren't as good as the ones I remember.
Agreed! Florida may have more thunderstorms, but none match the sheer intensity of midwest T-storms! Even centex storms, just a couple hundred miles to the south, aren't in the same class as some of the storms from the Texas panhandle north to the Dakotas.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-15, 01:07 AM
:think:

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-15, 11:30 AM
I've fallen off the face of the earth this week. And likely next as well. With some luck that will change as I'm hoping to find a different job. This one is just insanity with three large doors on it.

The job I'm hoping to get involves a program I was a part of about a year ago. I really should have stayed in when it switched over to being run by a different company. The guys I worked with stopped by my house the other day. Let's just say I want back in.

I'm losing my freaking mind here. The paperwork is at least a part-time job. The fixing of vehicles is a 50+ hour/week job on TOP of that. And then there is the crunch-time when DOT inspections come up. It is *insane*. I can't keep up and I can't freaking handle it.