PDA

View Full Version : Hartmann's A Traveler's Guide to Mars

Daryl71
2003-Oct-06, 06:48 PM
I recently received this (very recently published) book as a birthday gift. As someone who grew up thinking of Mars as a Red Moon, it was fascinating reading. I missed out on a lot of the MOS imagery, and kept falling back to the old Viking pictures. To think, rampart craters, softened terrain, run-off channels, fresh* lava flows, continental drift, and underground ice, all on a planet most thought dead ten years ago! Oh, and the images are crisp and clear. My favorite is on Page 318; an absolutely enormous cliff face in Valles Marineris. The price can't be beat at $19, either.
If anyone's read it, is there any BA to beware of?

ToSeek
2003-Oct-09, 02:21 AM
I just finished reading it and thought it was excellent. I didn't catch Hartmann out on anything, but then he's one of the world's leading authorities on Martian geology (areology?), and I'm just a guy who spends too much free time posting to message boards. ;)

Andromeda321
2003-Oct-09, 06:41 PM
I've finished reading it pretty recently as well after first hearing about it in Astronomy mag. And THEN I took notes from the great majority of the book for my Intel Science Talent Search project (science fair thing). That book doubled my background on Martian areology! If not more...

sol_g2v
2003-Oct-14, 07:38 AM
I just picked it up, I'm reading it now. I'd say its the best book on Mars I've read. Lots of great photos. My complaint is it should have more paintings by Hartmann, like his other books, since Hartmann is also famous for his astro paintings.

Francis
2003-Oct-14, 11:19 PM
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I was googling for Hartman's book (didn't find it in a quick search), but did find this interesting weblog sponsored by http://www.martiansoil.com/. It has archives and a ton of material related to, well, Martian soil.

Francis

ToSeek
2003-Nov-21, 06:29 PM
Review at Universe Today (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/book_review_travelers_guide_mars.html)