people want to participate than are needed for a team, there may
be an A-squad consisting of the main players, and a B-squad (and
perhaps a C-squad, etc.) for the rest. What role do the B-squad
members play? What do they do?

The reason I ask this question is that I'm wondering whether/how a
high school student who wants to participate in athletic activities as
recreation or exercise or whatever, but doesn't want to participate in
inter-school competitions, can find a place to do that, or if a student
is forced to either compete or stay out of athletic activities.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Fazor
2008-Aug-12, 08:42 PM
Well, there's inherant competition in athletics; you have to have some kind of opponent to go up against. But there's still non-school based sports. And you might be able to find some private clubs. Or just play some pickup games at the local YMCA.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Aug-12, 09:06 PM
What the previous poster said about competing. All athletic games that I know of, even backyard goofing off, involve some level of competition. But maybe what you meant was just not quite so much pressure as is experienced on most varsity squads.

Probably a lot of variation from place to place, but I can tell you what we do in Somerset WI USA. The best performers play varsity. Some schools restrict varsity to grades 10, 11, and 12. Others let the freshman play if they can cut it. We let them play.

Next level is Junior Varsity. Made up mostly of kids usually in the lower 2 grades who have eyes on making varsity eventually. All 4 grades eligible and consisting of the next level of players, skillwise.

If their is enough interest, they will form a C squad. That is very low key compared to varsity, and usually includes players who actually do not want the pressure of varsity. as well as some with intentions of trying to make varsity in the future.

All 3 levels travel to other schools (and of course host an equal number of matches).

For just goofing around, there are many options. The local YMCA, the playgrounds, community leagues (some are very serious, others are purely recreational/instructional). We are a small school (about 250 kids in the High School) so there is no intramural. Pretty much anybody who wants to play gets a chance to play on some level. When I was a youngster and attended a much bigger system, we had intramural sports. It was like an in-house league, so it was still competitive - - just to a much lesser degree.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-12, 10:47 PM
You can join the football team, and you'll get plenty of exercise during practices, but if you don't want to play in the games, talk to the coach. Some are ameniable to things like that. Others aren't. You won't know until you talk with the coach.

Gemini
2008-Aug-14, 02:26 AM
Join marching band! :P (Band Geek)

Tinaa
2008-Aug-14, 02:31 AM
Our football program has a 9th grade A and B team. Each team plays other schools who also have A and B teams. We also have a sophomore team. Jr. varsity and Varsity are for the best players of all the grades. Sr. players are automatically on the varsity squad.

ETA: We also have intramural sports. We have many PE courses. Outdoor ed includes fishing, canoing, ropes course, bicycling, etc. We also offer yoga, bowling, skateboarding and some others.

Gillianren
2008-Aug-14, 04:19 AM
We have many PE courses. Outdoor ed includes fishing, canoing, ropes course, bicycling, etc. We also offer yoga, bowling, skateboarding and some others.

Wow. We had, um, gym. Or weights. Or you could join a team. Or band--marching band gets you gym credit. But that was it.

Jeff Root
2008-Aug-14, 05:37 AM
I know that any activity can be made into a competitive event.
But the kinds of activities desired are along the lines of some of those
Tinaa mentioned, such as fishing, canoing, and yoga, which are not
inherently competitive.

The person in this case has an interest in a typical phy ed activity which
is not inherently competitive, yet it has been made that way and students
who participate are apparently forced to compete as teams, so that any
student who performs below the team's average will pull the whole team
down and prevent the team from advancing in competition.

The one actual case I know of from my time who might fit into what I'm
talking about here was Viki Wood, who was always jogging around the main
hallway, a couple of years before the word "jogging" gained wide use. She
may or may not have been training for something else, but the jogging was
certainly not a competitive activity.

Tinaa,

I expect that the "ropes course" includes rope climbing. Can you tell me
anything about that? Where it is done, how high you can go, etc. In
elementary school we had manila ropes in the gym that we could climb to
nearly the ceiling. I don't think I've seen anything like it since. I asked
the PE teacher at the elementary school in my current neighborhood, and
she said that they don't have ropes and hasn't heard of anyone who has
rope climbing in the curriculum. I'm wondering if it was taken away for
safety reasons.

Gillian,

Even back when I was in HS circa 1970, the school had a weight room.
In the three years I was there I never set foot in that room. Now I wonder
if any girls ever made use of it at that time. Did you, in your time? Did you
know girls who did?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Tog
2008-Aug-14, 07:49 AM
When I was in HS, (class of '88), there was at least one girl for sure that spent time in the weight room and was not in any form of competitive event. She was also most definitely not a tomboy. Honestly, I think I know why she took weightlifting, but it's just speculation, and probably more Gillian's field anyway.

In our school, any school sanctioned sport was good for a PE credit. I took Track, because I can't run very far, and ironic as it sounds, as a long jump, high jump, 100 meter guy, I didn't have to run as far as the kids in regular PE did.

Except for PE, and weightlifting, I can't think of any sports orienting things our school offered that did not involve competition of some sort. The Middle school did offer intramural leagues for flag football. You did compete, but only against your own classmates.

Another option to consider is community education. In my area, there are a few athletic events that have no competition at all. Mainly martial arts classes. These are done in the evening and ran $22 per 8 week "quarter". This is compared to the $50-$75 per month at regular schools for the same basic class.

Tinaa
2008-Aug-14, 11:56 AM
The ropes course is a team building activity: http://www.seguinolc.org/Programs/TeamBuildingChallengeCourse/tabid/131/Default.aspx
http://www.seguinolc.org/Programs/TeamBuildingChallengeCourse/LowandHighElements/tabid/188/Default.aspx

This is the program offered to our sixth grade thru HS students. The elementary schools usually take at least one field trip out there every year.

http://www.seguinolc.org/Programs/AdventureActivities/tabid/99/Default.aspx

Gillianren
2008-Aug-14, 04:03 PM
Even back when I was in HS circa 1970, the school had a weight room. In the three years I was there I never set foot in that room. Now I wonder
if any girls ever made use of it at that time. Did you, in your time? Did you know girls who did?

So far as I know, our school's weight room was original to the gym; the gym was built at about the same time as you were in high school. I, personally, never set foot in there myself, though you didn't have to in order to see what went on in there, as one set of the doors opened onto a major pathway across campus. It's true that few girls used the weight room, but the weights coach was notorious for not liking girls.