PDA

View Full Version : Phelps from a different planet

suntrack2
2008-Aug-13, 11:22 AM
Congratulation Phelps, inspiring personality in the area of swimming.

also read the following article: http://www.rediff.com/sports/2008/aug/13phelps2.htm

In case of such a great swimmer if swimming in the martian waters, was his speed of swimming can be measure in "great difference". Do you think that on mars such swimmer can swim fast in a thin gravity. !!

jokergirl
2008-Aug-13, 11:50 AM
Hm, afaik buoyancy isn't very dependent on gravity... or am I much mistaken?

;)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-13, 12:43 PM
A body suspended in water loses as much weight as the weight of the water it displaces.

Weight, not mass, very much dependent on gravity.
If we're talking something floating on the surface, there wouldn't be any difference in how deep it would be floating, but if we're talking something held underwater, the force needed to hold it down is proportional to the gravity.

Scuba diving would be easier on Mars, though the bubbles would rise slower.

Argos
2008-Aug-13, 02:55 PM
Interesting BBC blog entry on What Makes Phelps So Special (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/can_anyone_spoil_phelps_pool_p.html)

Matherly
2008-Aug-13, 03:17 PM
My hypothesis is that Phelps was sent back to kill John Conner but decided to become an Olympian instead.

Of course, that was my hypothesis about Lance Armstrong too :shifty:

Click Ticker
2008-Aug-13, 06:32 PM
The guy is amazing. Swimming seems to be as much driven by knowing and executing proper technique as it is by sheer fitness. I've got a co-worker that's a female about a foot shorter than me, had a baby less than six months ago, can't hope to keep up with me running, but could swim circles around me. I was asking her about the technique stuff and one small thing I learned is that you generate your leg kick at the hip, not the knee. Never knew that. I'm sure there is so much more the average person who's never swam competitively doesn't know. It would also seem to be a sport that humans can still learn a lot more about technique - which could be a contributing factor to all the records continually being broken (that and the fancy new suits).

They should have all have to swim in the little speedos or baggy shorts that the rest of us wear to make it fair. No caps or goggles either. Or they could go back to competing the way the Ancient Greeks did. Might boost the ratings, but there'd be a lot of blurry images at least in the U.S.

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-13, 06:32 PM
My hypothesis is that Phelps was sent back to kill John Conner but decided to become an Olympian instead.

Of course, that was my hypothesis about Lance Armstrong too

One quick way to find out, do either of them like dogs?

Matherly
2008-Aug-13, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Larry Jacks;1301340One quick way to find out, do either of them like dogs?[/QUOTE]

Oooo... good thinking ;)

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-13, 07:17 PM
Every now and then, an athlete comes along that just seems to change the nature of a sport. Those athletes are so dominate that it forces everyone else to raise the level of their game just to compete. Jim Brown is still the gold standard for running backs. Eric Hyden (sp?) did it for speed skating. Lance Armstrong did it with cycling. Tiger Woods is doing it for golf. It looks like Phelps is doing it for swimming. It's wonderful to watch.

mugaliens
2008-Aug-13, 08:13 PM
Scuba diving would be easier on Mars, though the bubbles would rise slower.

Only because the tanks would weight a third as much as they do on Earth!

Once in the water, I rarely noticed any difference between a single or doubles, provided my BC was a good one (rental gear - I didn't do enough to justify buying).

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-13, 11:15 PM
Pressure increases slower with depth, so you need fewer buoyancy adjustments and can go deeper and rise faster without risking the bends.

Actually what I was specifically thinking of was the lessened effect of badly adjusted buoyancy.

Tinaa
2008-Aug-14, 01:52 AM
I was a competition swimmer and this guy is absolutely fantastic.

AKONI
2008-Aug-14, 02:11 AM
I do a damn good belly flop myself!

Have you heard what this guy eats? For breakfast he has three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise, two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

And then there's lunch...

A pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

And dinner...

Phelps consumes carbs for plenty of energy with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza and another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

If I ate like that my body would be competing to see what it had first, a heart attack or a stroke

jfribrg
2008-Aug-14, 02:29 AM
No caps or goggles either. Or they could go back to competing the way the Ancient Greeks did. Might boost the ratings, but there'd be a lot of blurry images at least in the U.S.

Does the goggle issue he had a couple days ago qualify as a wardrobe malfunction?

sarongsong
2008-Aug-14, 06:31 AM
...Have you heard what this guy eats?...If I ate like that my body would be competing to see what it had first, a heart attack or a stroke.Oh, it's only 12,000 calories (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24179205-661,00.html)... http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-14, 11:18 AM
I don't know whether to hate him or root for him to break the number of gold medal won by an athlete. If he succeed, then our swimmers (South African swimmers) will have no hope of bringing home the gold.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-14, 12:28 PM
12,000 eh? I wonder how they calculated that out. His diet looks about the same as mine.

And another article pointed out that he has a long torso- maybe that's why he can eat more than they expect?

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-14, 01:33 PM
I heard he routinely swims 80 kilometers each week in training along with other exercises. He's a training machine, something like 30 hours a week. He doesn't have any trouble burning those 12,000 calories a day. I probably have more body fat in one of my legs than he has in his whole body. God help him when he gives up competitive swimming and has to radically cut down on his food consumption.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-14, 01:49 PM
I heard he routinely swims 80 kilometers each week in training along with other exercises. He's a training machine, something like 30 hours a week. He doesn't have any trouble burning those 12,000 calories a day. I probably have more body fat in one of my legs than he has in his whole body. God help him when he gives up competitive swimming and has to radically cut down on his food consumption.

Ok, I wonder how he makes a living- you know...
income?

Business has been slow for me lately.
Last week was four calls.
Three this week.
Wish I could eat, sleep, swim every day...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif

Heck as slow as it's been, I almost could get away with it:neutral:

Click Ticker
2008-Aug-14, 02:11 PM
Ok, I wonder how he makes a living- you know...
income?

Business has been slow for me lately.
Last week was four calls.
Three this week.
Wish I could eat, sleep, swim every day...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/46.gif

Heck as slow as it's been, I almost could get away with it:neutral:

You need to get roto-rooter to sponsor you like Speedo sponsors him.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-14, 02:15 PM
You need to get roto-rooter to sponsor you like Speedo sponsors him.

I used to work for Roto-Rooter actually.
It was Franchise then but
Chem-Ed corp bought Roto-rooter and everything went down hill after that.
They nickle and dimed the employees to absolute death.

I'll accept sponsorship from Victoria's Secret before I ever accept it from Roto-Rooter again.

Fazor
2008-Aug-14, 04:17 PM

I've noticed a lot of the swimmers seem to have a higher body-fat percentage than other olympic athletes (say, gymnists for instance). I think it's probably desirable to have some body fat if you're a swimmer...more boyant. *shrugs*

suntrack2
2008-Aug-14, 05:15 PM
I am a swimmer but not like as Phelps, if I compete with him then people will call see that "tortoise running on the water", because just like a rabit Phelps will take 4-5 rounds in my one round 50 meter swimming. :) I heard that he again bagged another "Gold Medal". He is looking a sharp swimmer.

Fazor
2008-Aug-14, 05:17 PM
I am a swimmer but not like as Phelps, if I compete with him then people will call see that "tortoise running on the water", because just like a rabit Phelps will take 4-5 rounds in my one round 50 meter swimming. :) I heard that he again bagged another "Gold Medal". He is looking a sharp swimmer.

Out of the 8 events he's competeing in, he's preformed 5 and taken gold in all 5. Additionally, unless I'm mistaken about his latest, he's broken the standing world records in each of the 5 events he's won.

Three more to go. I wish him luck... though I don't think he needs any luck.

suntrack2
2008-Aug-14, 05:23 PM
Out of the 8 events he's competeing in, he's preformed 5 and taken gold in all 5. Additionally, unless I'm mistaken about his latest, he's broken the standing world records in each of the 5 events he's won.

Three more to go. I wish him luck... though I don't think he needs any luck.

yes Fazor Sir, Phelps do not need of any luck, because the luck is swimming behind him where ever he cross the swimming tracks. :)

Trebuchet
2008-Aug-14, 11:45 PM
Last night on The Daily Show, Jon Stewart said after the Olympics Phelps will swim up the Yangtze, lay his eggs, die and slowly decompose. I'm pretty sure he really did say "lay his eggs"! There's an odd thought.

sarongsong
2008-Aug-15, 03:48 AM
Phelps from a different planet...but which one? :)

Neverfly
2008-Aug-15, 04:06 AM
...but which one? :)

Europa. Planet of Lucifer.
From the future.

He's a time traveling interplanetary terminator.

And if this keeps up, we're going to have to move this thread to Conspiracy Theories.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-15, 04:27 AM
He's not from another planet. He's from the future, where he is just an average swimmer. His daddy sent him back to clean up and make enough to retire on in the future!

kashi
2008-Aug-15, 05:39 AM
Bring Thorpy back!!!!

sarongsong
2008-Aug-15, 06:04 AM
"We're surrounded!" http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
13433 Phelps (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=13433%20Phelps;orb=1;cov=0;log=0#orb ) (1999 VP52)
Classification: Main-belt Asteroid...
JPL Small-Body Database Browser (http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=13433+Phelps)

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-15, 06:13 AM
Did someone ask for the Torpedo.

mahesh
2008-Aug-15, 11:28 AM
Bring Thorpy back!!!!

Heeeeeey! kashi!

is that really you? where have you been?

i thought you, perhaps, got lost in Japan!

Thorpy is too long in the tooth for test-match cricket!....just kidding...

nice to see you to be back

suntrack2
2008-Aug-16, 02:38 PM
...but which one? :)

see the photo of Michael Phelps and raise your eyebrows first, and then you will find the answer. :)

Yesterday He got 7th Gold Medal, I think he has really doing marvelous. (but I am feeling jealous to see such a huge and thick gold medal. !!,Aaa !!! there is no slow swimming event in the olympic otherwise I could grab all the medals in my pocket. !(fun).

sunil

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-16, 04:28 PM
The amazing thing about that race is that he was seventh (out of eight) at the turn (50 meters) and still pulled it out on the second 50!

mugaliens
2008-Aug-16, 11:36 PM
A body suspended in water loses as much weight as the weight of the water it displaces.

I've been thinking about this...

You're right, of course. However, as gravity --> 0, a swimmer's stroke can lift more of himself out of the water, thereby reducing the wetted area, reducing friction, and moving faster.

Furthermore, at some point, a swimmer would be able to keep his entire body out of the water. This is not due to displacement, but rather, propulsion, just as a speedboat gets on a plane and a hydrofoil lifts it's hull out of the water.

sarongsong
2008-Aug-17, 06:06 PM
...at some point, a swimmer would be able to keep his entire body out of the water...due to...propulsion...Never seen this---have you?

HenrikOlsen
2008-Aug-17, 07:22 PM
It's from the lowered gravity sub-thread, so the answer is probably a resounding no.

sarongsong
2008-Aug-18, 06:47 AM
Ok, I wonder how he makes a living- you know...income?...The kindness of strangers... :lol:
August 17, 2008
...[Phelps] had already made...$5 million in endorsements from advertising sponsors...before the Beijing Olympics.
His come-from-behind, split-second win in Friday's 100-meter butterfly race...got him a $1 million bonus from swimsuit maker Speedo...
"If he's handled properly over the next four years, he should generate in excess of $40 million," [a Chicago-based sports business consulting firm]...
Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2008olympics/2008/08/17/2008-08-17_after_8_gold_medals_in_beijing_huge_spon-2.html)

mfumbesi
2008-Aug-18, 08:29 AM
Well he has made history 8 gold medals.

suntrack2
2008-Aug-18, 04:04 PM
I think great swimmers like Phelps are having best legs,hands, muscles. even the breathing technique may also be unique one, besides this the overall stamina, the role of 'lungs' also great one, even the heart movements are speedily supporting the overall performance of the great swimmer,

do you not think there is a medical cause in performing the great levels of performance. a. health,b. excercise, c. body stamina, d. body stretch in the waters, e. the weight, f. body length in the water,g. actions in the water, h. the superpower nostrills, which can support best inhale and exale, i. high capacity of taking breath and holding it for several seconds.

And I think Phelps is having the "very best qualities including all of the stated above", and he firmly commanding the water just like a fastest dolphin on the surface of the water. :)

I congratulate Phelps for the 8th Gold Medal, this is not a joke in the history of swimming, also not a common performance, he has some very different quality perspectives.

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-18, 07:50 PM
Two or three years ago when Lance Armstrong was going for his 7th Tour de France championship, the Discovery Channel broadcast some interesting facts about him. For one thing, it seems Lance's body handled lactic acid better than almost anyone else. He was also able to generate high power levels for longer periods that almost anyone else. I read similar things about Michael Phelps.

I've often heard that the top athletes have "something extra" that sets them apart. What exactly that something extra is is hard to quantify but I think it is likely true. If you take two groups of athletes and train them identically, give them the same diet, etc, you'll not get identical performance. Some of them will just be better than the rest.

This isn't in any way to suggest that hard work doesn't play a major factor in performance, it obviously does. If Michael Jordan hadn't worked so hard at basketball, he wouldn't have become the famous man he did. Tiger Woods - despite whatever natural gifts (talent) he has - is also famous for his work ethic. He's never satisfied with his performance and is always working hard to improve. The same is no doubt true for Phelps. He trained incredibly hard (how else could he eat 12,000 calories a day and have almost no body fat?) for years getting ready for last week. All of his opponents trained hard, too, but somehow, Phelps outperformed them all (although one by 0.01 second). It's enough to make me want to see these top performers studied scientifically to see what makes them so special. Hard work, definitely, but perhaps something more.

Click Ticker
2008-Aug-18, 08:00 PM
But according to Mr. Phelps - his accomplishment just goes to show what a person can do if they put their mind to it.

Hmmm - I'm going to put my mind to winning eight golds in the 2012 Olympics. I'll let you know how it goes. I wonder if all the other Olympic swimmers just aren't as mentally strong as Michael. If only they put their mind to it, with all their training they too could have won eight golds.

We need another "cliche's that get on your nerves" thread - unrelated to movies.

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-18, 09:36 PM
There are dreams, fantasies, and delusions. It's important to know the difference.

Dreams are things that can come true with hard work. For example, Michael Phelps dreamed of winning 8 gold metals. Blessed with tremendous talent and a great work ethic, he made his dream come true. I dreamed of becoming a pilot and I made it happen.

Fantasies aren't impossible but they aren't very likely, either. For example, many people fantasize about willing the Powerball lottery but the odds are 148 million to one against it. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Delusions are things that have no chance of coming true no matter how well intentioned a person is or how hard they work at it. An example would be if I seriously thought I could win an Olympic gold metal in the 100 meter sprint. I'm a heavier than I need to be 51 year old who hates running (I'm convinced it causes brain damage). By comparison to me winning that (or any other athletic) metal, winning the Powerball seems like a sure thing.

Elenwen
2008-Aug-24, 07:26 PM
Here is a funny article regarding Phelps: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/michael_phelps_returns_to_his_tank

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-24, 08:24 PM
Make that "semi-funny"!

sarongsong
2008-Aug-25, 05:36 PM
Life-imitates-BAUT Department:
August 25, 2008
... “He is just a normal person,” said Russian swimmer Alexander Sukhorukov of Michael Phelps.
“Although he may be from a different planet. A planet from a different galaxy.”...
San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080825/news_1s25sullist.html)
:)

suntrack2
2008-Aug-26, 02:59 PM
It is learnt that the original design of the airodynamic shape of the Phelp's swimming costume was framed by nasa ?? I am not sure.

:)

publiusr
2009-Jan-16, 11:25 PM
A real merman.