PDA

View Full Version : Where's my jetpack

Amadeus
2003-Oct-07, 11:47 AM
I remember years ago seeing a tomorows world program where this guy had a basic jet pack. (did not show it working ) What I want to know is has anyone made one that A) did not burn your feet off! and B) stayed in the air for a usefull amount of time.

---------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a free launch

Bawheid
2003-Oct-07, 12:01 PM
These do crop up occasionally, I'm sure there was one in a Bond film, definitely one at the opening of the 1980 Olympics in Los Angeles. Don't know how long they stay up for but I suppose if they have been about for 20 odd years and we don't all have one then that is your answer.

kucharek
2003-Oct-07, 12:09 PM
http://www.internetage.com/rotorcraft/bell_rb/rocket_belt.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/personal-jetpack.htm
http://www.rocketmaninc.com/

PS: You should have posted this in the BABBling forum.

Amadeus
2003-Oct-07, 02:23 PM
Ooops! Bad newbie *slap*!

I'll post in the right forum in future! :D

tjm220
2003-Oct-07, 03:32 PM
These do crop up occasionally, I'm sure there was one in a Bond film, definitely one at the opening of the 1980 Olympics in Los Angeles. Don't know how long they stay up for but I suppose if they have been about for 20 odd years and we don't all have one then that is your answer.

1984 Olympics actually and it was cool watching that guy flying around. :)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-07, 08:53 PM
Why get a jetpack if you can have one of these (http://www.moller.com/skycar/)?

SAMU
2003-Oct-08, 06:01 AM
You want flying cars and jet packs? BUY 'EM. They won't get built if you don't BUY 'EM. But NNNOOOOO, you want your SUVs and BMWs and 300 ZXs and HUMVs. Thank god my generation put all those billions of dollars worth of quarters into those video games in the 70s and 80s (against the opposition of our parents of course) or you wouldn't even have the computers, flat screen TVs and DVDs that you have now. Not that you even know how to program your VCR. You get your kids to do it don't ya? Ya get the most state of the art computer and use it to read email and complain that it isn't fast enough even though you only want to spring for dialup and only have a 33k modem.

30 years since we've been to the moon in a program that took ten years and You claim that you couldn't do it again if you had a hundred years. You generation of spoiled, cowardly, selfish, nacisistic, hippy, baby boomers make me PUKE!!! Thank god you're dying off already. Unfortunate that only a few of you will live to suffer the world you left to your young. I am consoled by the fact that few of you will live to see the future that you dreamed of that will be created by your young.

mutant
2003-Oct-08, 06:07 AM
SAMU posted:

You want flying cars and jet packs? BUY 'EM. They won't get built if you don't BUY 'EM. But NNNOOOOO, you want your SUVs and BMWs and 300 ZXs and HUMVs. Thank god my generation put all those billions of dollars worth of quarters into those video games in the 70s and 80s (against the opposition of our parents of course) or you wouldn't even have the computers, flat screen TVs and DVDs that you have now. Not that you even know how to program your VCR. You get your kids to do it don't ya? Ya get the most state of the art computer and use it to read email and complain that it isn't fast enough even though you only want to spring for dialup and only have a 33k modem.

30 years since we've been to the moon in a program that took ten years and You claim that you couldn't do it again if you had a hundred years. You generation of spoiled, cowardly, selfish, nacisistic, hippy, baby boomers make me PUKE!!! Thank god you're dying off already. Unfortunate that only a few of you will live to suffer the world you left to your young. I am consoled by the fact that few of you will live to see the future that you dreamed of that will be created by your young.

and with that I will pass around the valium

Amadeus
2003-Oct-08, 11:40 AM
I am consoled by the fact that few of you will live to see the future that you dreamed of that will be created by your young.

We going to have to look after you when your in a home!
Play nice or we wont change your adult diapers! :lol:

Astronot
2003-Oct-08, 02:03 PM
One of the inventors of this device used to fly it around the Astrodome in the sixties when I was a kid. My father used to take my there specially for those games. I think guy lived in Houston. IIRC in the early seventies the rocket pack disappeared and the guy who flew it was murdered. Someone with Lexis/Nexus access can find an article in the Houston Chronicle.

I donít know of any connection between these events and the Rocket Man who flew a rocket pack at the Olympics.

xbck1
2003-Oct-08, 07:44 PM
Why get a jetpack if you can have one of these (http://www.moller.com/skycar/)?

The guy who built the first one is from Davis, CA. I used to live there. Cool! :D

zebo-the-fat
2003-Oct-11, 08:22 PM
The jet pack used hydrogen peroxide as a fuel and gave out jets of high pressure steam from the 'rocket' nozzles, (could realy make a mess of your feet!) it would only stay in the air for about 2 mins. not very practical as a mode of transport, .... but I still want one!! :D