PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if there is a new cold war with Russia?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Aug-14, 10:51 AM
What will happen if there is a new cold war with Russia? Wouldn't that pretty much stop the US from having access to the ISS/manned capability once the shuttle is retired? Maybe China could step in? Or maybe private?

dcolanduno_old
2008-Aug-14, 01:00 PM
I believe this will probably blow over a bit quicker than most people think it will. Tention with Georgia and Russia has been at a simmer ever since the break up of the USSR. Hopefully this will just be a short release of pressure that has been brewing for a bit. <sigh>

And I think our NASA contract with Russia for use of those rockets is fairly solid. Russia still needs lots of money and all this blow off of military will put them in a position to REALLY want that money now.

Elenwen
2008-Aug-14, 06:05 PM
I think if this tension continues it will bring back America's interest in space exploration. Maybe all those astronauts' dreams of flying a mission will be possible.

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-14, 08:40 PM
Never hope for tension. Tension is BAD.

Argos
2008-Aug-14, 08:49 PM
And I think our NASA contract with Russia for use of those rockets is fairly solid. Russia still needs lots of money and all this blow off of military will put them in a position to REALLY want that money now.

I donīt think 12 million dollars a seat (http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Russian_Soyuz_Flights_To_Cost_NASA_12_Million_Doll ars_A_Seat_999.html) is a big deal for a country as big as Russia.

But I agree that the current incident will not have much of an impact, because the ideological component that drove the cold war is gone.

JonClarke
2008-Aug-14, 11:11 PM
It will blow over - I hope. But never under estimate the stupidity of politicians in an election year.....

Elenwen
2008-Aug-15, 01:22 AM
Never hope for tension. Tension is BAD.

I'm not hoping for it at all, believe me. Although if there is already something awful happening maybe some good can still come of it. I would much rather see no tension at all.

Neverfly
2008-Aug-15, 02:01 AM
I'm not hoping for it at all, believe me. Although if there is already something awful happening maybe some good can still come of it. I would much rather see no tension at all.

I disagree with the both of you.

The supposed "bad" things serve a purpose, just as the labeled "good" things do.

Sometimes, bad things can do a whole lotta good and vice versa.

Good can be enabling, bad can be the swift kick in the pants a person needs to get moving again.

This kind of tension referred to is not the kind that starts wars or makes people kill.
It's the kind that can motivate and reinstall inspiration.

trinitree88
2008-Aug-27, 09:21 PM
It will blow over - I hope. But never under estimate the stupidity of politicians in an election year.....

Jon Why just an election year?:shifty::lol: pete

Ara Pacis
2008-Aug-28, 12:02 AM
If there's a new Cold War then there will be a new Star Wars and... I just can't handle a new Star wars... I burned out on Clone Wars

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-28, 12:10 AM
I just can't handle a new Star wars... I burned out on Clone Wars
Reminds me of the German posters for the re-release "Star Wars- it was better on screen than in the skies".
I swear, that's what they said. The Star Wars Vault has one of them.