PDA

View Full Version : Noise on the Moon

Superluminal
2003-Oct-08, 12:10 AM
I can remeber when I was a kid, about 12, watching the Apollo 15 moon walk. Jim Irwin was hammering a core tube into the surface, every time he would strike the tube, I could hear a very faint tap come over the tv. At first I thought I was imagining it. Then my mother ask me, "If there is no air on the moon, how can we hear the hammering?" I thought about it for a second and said, "I suppose it's a vibration traveling through his suit to the microphone." In all the HB nonsense, has anyone brought that up as "proof" the landings were fake? If they do see it on the DVD, it will be another lame claim that can easily be shot down.

R.A.F.
2003-Oct-08, 01:18 AM
"I suppose it's a vibration traveling through his suit to the microphone."

Unless someone else here knows otherwise, I would say that is a reasonable explanation.

Just yesterday, I was watching the Apollo 17 DVD. Gene Cernan was doing the same thing and I also heard the faint sound of his hammer hitting the core tube.

Superluminal
2003-Oct-08, 02:20 AM
I'm glad someone else heard it.

freddo
2003-Oct-08, 02:43 AM
Unless someone else here knows otherwise, I would say that is a reasonable explanation.

Makes pretty good sense... There's air in the suit - ergo sound will propagate...

I mean - they were able to talk to Houston from the Moon - obviously there's sound on the Moon - you just have to take it with you, so to speak.

Rue
2003-Oct-08, 02:52 PM
Just yesterday, I was watching the Apollo 17 DVD. Gene Cernan was doing the same thing and I also heard the faint sound of his hammer hitting the core tube.

ALSJ mentions that when Cernan broke the fender off the rover that this can be "heard but not seen" Is there any mention of that on the DVD?

kucharek
2003-Oct-08, 02:57 PM
See the old thread hammer sounds on the moon? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=21282)

R.A.F.
2003-Oct-08, 03:41 PM
ALSJ mentions that when Cernan broke the fender off the rover that this can be "heard but not seen" Is there any mention of that on the DVD?

Well, I just reviewed it and...there is an odd sound right when Gene broke the fender, but I don't think that there is any of determining whether or not it is actually the sound produced by the fender breaking.

ignorant_ape
2003-Oct-10, 04:22 PM
having nothing better to do - i downloaded the " evidence of hoax " vid clips that out ` freind ` jesus hacker has on his yahoo group - and during nixons phone call - you can hear his voice repeating as an after effect -

i assume this is coming back through the astronauts head sets ?

PS - also in this clip - the flag does not move once - NOT ONCE - nice selective logic by the HBs

YRS - APE

JayUtah
2003-Oct-10, 05:10 PM
you can hear his voice repeating as an after effect - i assume this is coming back through the astronauts head sets ?

Yes. This was a known design flaw of the Apollo communications carrier assembly and the electronic design of the keying systems. The problem was mitigated in later missions by increasing the acoustic isolation between headphone and microphone, adjusting the keying levels of the microphones, adjusting the keying levels of the VHF/S-band relay circuits, and adjusting the output volume of the headsets.

Section 16.2.9 of the Apollo 11 Mission Report (MSC-00171, 1969) discusses this problem in detail.

also in this clip - the flag does not move once - NOT ONCE - nice selective logic by the HBs

Of course. To test the theory we took a 3x5 nylon flag out to the desert in California. We attached it to a specially constructed aluminum framework that duplicated the Apollo flag assembly. We drove this assembly into the ground. A British documentary crew filmed the results.

The result is that it's practically impossible to keep a flag still in the desert under any circumstances. The slightest breeze -- day or night -- will move the flag. The question is not why the flag moves in some Apollo clips. The question is why it's still in any Apollo clip.

AstroSmurf
2003-Oct-13, 08:05 AM
The result is that it's practically impossible to keep a flag still in the desert under any circumstances. The slightest breeze -- day or night -- will move the flag. The question is not why the flag moves in some Apollo clips. The question is why it's still in any Apollo clip. The key word here being "breeze", of course 8)