PDA

View Full Version : Usain "Lightning" Bolt - how fast could he have gone...

Parrothead
2008-Aug-16, 03:50 PM
What kind of times would he be setting, if he didn't ease up?

Semi-final into a headwind 9.85 s, easing up after 60m.

Final - no wind, 9.69s clearly easing up in the last 10 -15 m, had he not eased up, heck he may have been flirting with a time close to 9.60. Amazing.

We'll see what he does with the 200m next week.

sarongsong
2008-Aug-16, 03:56 PM
who he

Parrothead
2008-Aug-16, 03:58 PM
Usain Bolt - Jamaica

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-16, 04:10 PM
I think he is being very wise. Going all out in the early races runs the risk of pulling a muscle and missing the later races (not to mention maybe not even finishing the current race). Record times are transient. Medals are yours to keep!

Trebuchet
2008-Aug-17, 06:07 PM
I think he is being very wise. Going all out in the early races runs the risk of pulling a muscle and missing the later races (not to mention maybe not even finishing the current race). Record times are transient. Medals are yours to keep!

But he eased up at about 85m in the FINAL! Looked around and stopped swinging his arms. He already had a big lead but could have had an even better time. I think he does the 200m as well so conceivably was saving himself for that.

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-17, 09:24 PM
if he hadn't turned off the afterburners about 15 meters early in the men's 100 meter dash (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080817/D92JOURG1.html)? It's often said that the truly great can make the difficult appear easy. By that standard, Bolt is a truly great runner. He made winning the race and setting a new world record look easy.

Still, I can't help but wonder how fast he could've gone had he ran out the distance at full speed. Do track stars (who can get paid handsomely) earn extra money for breaking a world record? If so, that might explain why he didn't want to give it everything he had. Not being cynical (it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, IMO), but if that's the case, he could likely go to meet after meet and keep breaking the record for quite some time before reaching his true best speed.

slang
2008-Aug-17, 10:03 PM
There's BIG money for world records in some of the other athletics meetings. Grab gold now, cash in (more) with a (new) world record later. I can't say if Bolt would think that, but I've heard that sentiment expressed by other athletes in the past.

djellison
2008-Aug-17, 10:40 PM
It's something Donald Campbell did regularly. Set a slightly higher water-speed record than before, so he could then go and do it again the next season, and again and again - cashing in each time. Never doing more than you have to, to get the job done. Sadly, Campbell got hooked on it, and ended up relying on it, and it killed him 40 years ago.

Doug

billslugg
2008-Aug-18, 01:40 AM
He won in 9.68 beating the world record of 9.72. The pundits thought he might have run a 9.59 if he had not pulled up. Once he had determined he had won the medal, he might have decided not to run too fast, save some for later.

formulaterp
2008-Aug-18, 03:17 AM
Sergey Bubka, former Ukranian pole vaulter repeatedly broke the world record throughout his career. Each time he would only ask the bar to be raised a centimeter or 2, while clearing it with room to spare. His sponsors gave him a bonus each time he set a new record, so it made sense to always leave something in the tank.

As for Bolt, that was truly outstanding. And to think he's only been training in the 100 for about a year. I always thought Michael Johnson's 200m record time was the most amazing thing I've seen in track and field. Can't wait for Bolt's shot at it.

Trebuchet
2008-Aug-18, 06:55 PM
See also: 100m Bolt (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/77760-100m-bolt.html)

CodeSlinger
2008-Aug-18, 07:17 PM
Much respect for Mr. Bolt's performance, not so much for his sportsmanship. Respect the sport, respect your opponents, run out the race (or at least put in the appearance), don't showboat in the last stretch.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-18, 07:32 PM
Hey! He set the world record! He was 0.2 seconds (2 meters) ahead of second place! He still had the 200 meter race ahead of him! Cut him some slack!

math error!

Larry Jacks
2008-Aug-18, 07:39 PM
Or, since I posted first, they can see this thread!

CodeSlinger
2008-Aug-18, 07:58 PM
I don't have any issues with him slowing down to save energy for the 200m race. What I have issue with is slowing down AND flailing his arms out (was he doing the airplane?) AND beating his chest, all before even crossing the finishing line. Even if he did not mean to showboat, it's hard (for me, at least) to see it as anything else.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-18, 08:09 PM
And I have no issue with him showboating! If you had just set a world record by leaving seven of the worlds fastest runners in your dust, you might just do a little showboating too!

CodeSlinger
2008-Aug-18, 08:14 PM
I don't know what I would do in that situation. I doubt I'll ever find out :) What I do know is that I find the behavior of every other runner I watched this weekend, who managed to celebrate without showboating, to be much classier.

Sorry, I just don't have tolerance for showboating.

ToSeek
2008-Aug-18, 08:37 PM
Threads merged.

sarongsong
2008-Sep-11, 10:41 PM
He won in 9.68 beating the world record of 9.72. The pundits thought he might have run a 9.59 if he had not pulled up...Science says:
September 11, 2008
...Bolt broke his own world record with a time of 9.69 seconds...a team of physicists from the University of Oslo...extrapolating from Bolt’s speed before celebrating...estimated that the new world record would have been about 9.55 0.04 seconds...
physorg.com (http://www.physorg.com/news140352485.html)

cosmocrazy
2008-Sep-11, 11:55 PM
Well i reckon if he stays fit enough he'll do a sub 9.5s. I love watching world class athletics and love to see new records set! May the best man/woman win.. always!! (fair and square).