PDA

View Full Version : SETI@HOME SEVER DOWN?

GENIUS'02
2002-Mar-20, 10:49 AM
i wasn't sure where exactly to put this post but i thought since it's about searching for life in the universe it should go here, it's just i was wondering, i have been trying to send my data back to the berkeley people but i am unable to and have been for some time now, does anyoine know why?
thanks in advance.

David Hall
2002-Mar-20, 12:00 PM
I haven't been able to connect for the last couple of days also. They've been having real bandwidth problems over there. So often it's impossible to get through (There was another thread here just a couple of weeks ago talking about the same thing).

But, OTOH, I just tried connecting again and got through just fine, so I guess you can just say it's intermittent at the moment.

The best thing to do is use a queueing program to download a bunch of workunits at one time and cache them for later use. There's one on the SETI site called Setiqueue or something like that. I use SetiMonitor myself, which also has a caching function.

Chuck
2002-Mar-20, 01:25 PM
The delay is caused by the government intercepting and altering the workunits with alien signals in them.

SpacedOut
2002-Mar-20, 01:43 PM
Their web site says they had problems over the weekend but were fixed on Monday. I havn't noticed any issues since the weekend. I had 1 or 2 workunits go back overnight.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpacedOut on 2002-03-20 08:45 ]</font>

2002-Apr-24, 10:20 AM
<a name="20020424.2:13"> page 20020424.2:13 aka SET i
On 2002-03-20 08:43, SpacedOut wrote: To: JD2452389
I always was interested in the concept
however was never convinced of the approach
from what I understood of the effort
it was to narrow banded to find even itself
{oh well}
2:16 A.M. April 24, 2002 brought forward from
the Fifth{5th} page
i see a date of March 20th best to recheck that # |/ |/ looks like3/20 to me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-04-24 06:23 ]</font>

ljbrs
2002-Apr-24, 12:57 PM
I once had SETI@HOME on my desktop, but something turned a tiny purple blemish on my screen into the purplish colors of the SETI@HOME and I had to purchase a new monitor. I decided that my computer might not handle SETI@HOME and have not had it on my system since. I miss watching it go through its paces.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Apr-24, 01:40 PM
Maybe your screen was gaussed out. Are you wearing wrist magnets?

CJSF
2002-Apr-24, 02:14 PM
On 2002-04-24 08:57, ljbrs wrote:
I once had SETI@HOME on my desktop, but something turned a tiny purple blemish on my screen into the purplish colors of the SETI@HOME and I had to purchase a new monitor. I decided that my computer might not handle SETI@HOME and have not had it on my system since. I miss watching it go through its paces.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

I don't think the SETI@home program could have anything to do with that problem. It doesn't make sense, unless your monitor was in need or replacement anyway.

CJSF

2002-Nov-08, 12:21 PM
<a name="2-11-08.Si"> page 2-11-08.Si aka SETi
On 2002-04-24 06:20, HUb' wrote: To November 8, 2002
{{{ THIS WAS A RANDOM PUSH TO PAGE 1 }}}
{{for no appearent reason Appearently}}{ANYWAY}
not a Berkley fan )years ago yes 2day NO
some how they got into UNIX earily on
and in my oppinion really made a worse mess than B.G.
leaving me with only 1 hope tha Mac's did
not fall for the big trick trap
{yeah Monday night .. i'll let you know here ? Si'?
I doubt that I can put m finger on exactly WHY
I disliked FREE.**.D from Berkley so much
I poise it was a securities issue roote
superuser and all that BUNK ? Central control {Boo}
that and just to much CRAP.. for me it CONTROL should be modular 1 {DOS/kernal/os} 2 GUI/?/? 3 av/screaming streaming etc aka Java I 'poise