PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes Overhead!

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-25, 01:31 AM
A couple hours ago there were a couple tornado funnels that touched down near where I live (Parker, CO - about 20 miles SE of downtown Denver).

I got a great view of them from where I'm at, plus some hail, and now it's raining and a nice little lightning show.

I snapped a bunch of pics but because of the phone's idiotic interface (no USB port) I ended up losing all but two of them transferring to email.

Here's the two I have though:

http://pix.nofrag.com/9/0/4/8ea4aeebbd66027dad6a23dfe0141.jpg
http://pix.nofrag.com/6/1/8/ffb6497961f6581dcc7c571d46b0e.png

There are better photos out there.. they were on the ground for a long time, very large and very strong.

From local NBC News Channel:

http://www.9news.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=1&h=174&w=260&i=/assetpool/images/080824083950_8-24-08-tornadoleadasset.jpg

Whole gallery of photos here:

http://www.9news.com/life/community/gallerypublic.aspx?plckGalleryID=d2320d4a-984a-49d9-b919-c2f2694a6f51]NBS News Tornado Gallery

If it does ask for a zip code just punch in 80138.

ABR.
2008-Aug-25, 02:12 AM
Nice! I hope you remembered to duck and cover.

I used to live up against the foothills in Lakewood. We got plenty of hail during storms, but the funnels usually didn't start touching down until the storm passed over I-25. Can't say I miss either hail or tornadoes, though.

Kaptain K
2008-Aug-25, 03:00 AM
A long time ago (June 8th 1966 to be precise), a mile wide tornado passed within a mile of my house in Topeka, Ks. I never saw it. We were in the basement! The sound was unforgettable! I hope to never be that close again!

cjl
2008-Aug-25, 05:25 AM
There were tornadoes in Parker today?

Wow - it didn't even rain here.

Whirlpool
2008-Aug-25, 07:05 AM
Our country is experiencing tornados too lately, which is very rare to happen here.

hhEb09'1
2008-Aug-25, 09:47 AM
There were tornadoes in Parker today?

Wow - it didn't even rain here.I lived in Wyoming for years. The stories always said that conditions in Colorado were not right for producing tornados. The day that we signed to buy a house in Aurora (just up a piece from Parker towards Denver), we were driving back north up I25 on a clear sunny day, and the radio station started reporting tornados in downtown Denver. I looked in the review mirror and saw a huge black cloud over Denver. It'd been sunny in Denver when we left, and was still sunny ahead of us.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-25, 05:26 PM
That's Colorado for you - if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

The convergence of Canadian storm fronts, warm air from the Gulf, and the Jet Stream which brings weather from the West which blows through Colorado and continues east, makes Denver and incredibly hard place to forecast, and conditions change very quickly.

The meterology around here is more like voodoo than science.

jj_0001
2008-Aug-25, 05:56 PM
Wow, glad that didn't come for a close visit!

I used to live on the last foothill (literally) of the Appalachians in Ohio, just across the border from Pa.

You got to watch some "interesting" weather from the top of the hill. Fortunately, the hill tended to route the nasty stuff a few hundred feet over our heads.

Which is still closer than I ever want to be, ever again.

Once the hill didn't protect the town I lived in, although I'd moved on by then. F5 hit the north end of town, pretty much disappeared that part of town completely. They found part of a skating rink 10 miles east in Pa.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-25, 06:15 PM
Ouch. Yeah, anywhere that is on the side of a mountain or hill that is leeward of the direction of wind will always have severe weather.

Another factor that gives the Front Range (east of the Rockies) very odd weather.

novaderrik
2008-Aug-25, 06:39 PM
those weren't natural tornadoes- they were caused by the government weather control machines to intimidate to delegates for the big convention that's going on there this week.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Aug-26, 01:07 AM
those weren't natural tornadoes- they were caused by the government weather control machines to intimidate to delegates for the big convention that's going on there this week.

Took much longer than expected for the first conspiracy theory to arise! I was expecting an hour, tops, but that was about a 16 hour wait.

Still waiting for the first pundit or preacher to suggest that it is the wrath of [insert spirit or deity here] for hosting the Democratic National Convention.

novaderrik
2008-Aug-26, 08:14 AM
it wasn't wrath- it was a warning.
and i suppose one could interpret it as being a good omen- the "finger of God" came down to bless the area without doing too much damage on the eve of the DNC.
or maybe it's just the flying Spaghetti Monster putting His Noodly Appendage down to bless the goings-on.
i wonder what fun awaits the other party in St Paul next week- we haven't had a good blizzard in early September in what seems like forever....

mugaliens
2008-Aug-26, 11:04 PM
That's Colorado for you - if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

My uncle used to tell me, "one thing you want to keep in mine when you go camping is to always have a survival plan in case the weather goes bad. My survival plan involves a raincoat, polypropaline underwear, and staying within 500 feet of my truck so that I can drive home and warm up in a hot shower."

NosePicker
2008-Aug-27, 01:03 AM
Prescott AZ isn't prone to tornadoes, which is just as well as our apartment complex looses siding and roof tiles at a stiff sneeze.