PDA

View Full Version : Cosmonaut Photographed South Ossetia From ISS Shortly After Russian Invasion

Fraser
2008-Aug-27, 07:30 AM
During a Russian weather observation campaign, cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko took photographs above the South Ossetia region of Georgia soon after the Russian military action in the area on August 9th. According to NASA's ISS Daily Report, Kononenko was monitoring the "after-effects of border conflict operations in the Caucasus" and his orders from Moscow instructed him [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/08/27/cosmonaut-photographed-south-ossetia-from-iss-shortly-after-russian-invasion/)

Grand_Lunar
2008-Aug-27, 12:50 PM
I think the US govt is making too much of this issue.

Indeed, how much military intel can one get from a handheld digital camera?

It sickens me that the US is crying foul over this.

I hope it doesn't ruin future plans in space. We must unite in space, not quarrel over issues like this.

pghnative
2008-Aug-27, 01:28 PM
I think the US govt is making too much of this issue.What makes you think the US govt is making anything of this issue?

In response to the concerns raised by the AW reporter, a NASA spokesman replied, "Roscosmos informed us that the pictures were requested to support potential humanitarian activities in the area, including serious water resource management issues." He also added that there was no need for the matter to be investigated further.

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-27, 08:21 PM
I hope it doesn't ruin future plans in space. We must unite in space, not quarrel over issues like this.
You said it.

Grand_Lunar
2008-Aug-28, 12:35 PM
What makes you think the US govt is making anything of this issue?

Articles I've seen in the local newspaper.

Actually, the whole Georgia incident is being blown out of proportion.
But for me to state my opinion on that would violate some of the forum rules, particularly those involving politics.

KaiYeves
2008-Aug-28, 02:58 PM
I'm just going to quote Beth Midler on this one:

From a distance you look like my friend,
even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend
what all this fighting is for.

pghnative
2008-Aug-28, 05:41 PM
Articles I've seen in the local newspaper.

Perhaps. Or maybe it is just reporters trying to make an issue out of it, in order to help sell newspapers. Certainly the link above indicates that there were reporter(s) trying to make an issue out of it, whereas the NASA spokesman thought it was a non-issue.