PDA

View Full Version : The Rig

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-30, 12:37 AM
I decided to snap a few quick (crappy) shots of my camera rig. This is my main hobby - aside from sleeping and generally relaxing.

Some specs:
Camera - Leicaflex SL MOT
Motor drive
400mm f6.8 (pictured)
60mm f2.8 macro
50mm f1.4
21mm f4.0 rectilinear

Anyway. Just to share. I apologize for the crappy digital shots.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-30, 01:34 AM
Not bad. I have all Olympus for sentimental and historic reasons :)

Neverfly
2008-Aug-30, 01:42 AM
Anyway. Just to share. I apologize for the crappy digital shots.

No problem. It isn't easy to take a picture of a camera... For some odd reason...:doh:

captain swoop
2008-Aug-30, 02:48 AM
well, for a start you can't use your best camera to take a picture of itself.

cjl
2008-Aug-30, 03:30 AM
Nice - my dad is really into photography, but it's mainly digital.

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-30, 11:51 AM
I have yet to cross into digital. But that day is coming eventually. Its just that I *love* my camera. But even i have to face the fact that film is outgunned now by the high-end digitals. Plus I'm really getting sick of scanning slides.

captain swoop
2008-Aug-30, 04:25 PM
I used to have a Rolleiflex SL2000 (http://www.fuwen.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=34&Itemid=84)
A 35mm but built like a medium format with film backs etc. It was lovely but I gave it up for Digital.

cjl
2008-Aug-30, 10:29 PM
I have yet to cross into digital. But that day is coming eventually. Its just that I *love* my camera. But even i have to face the fact that film is outgunned now by the high-end digitals. Plus I'm really getting sick of scanning slides.
That could definitely get old, as could the cost of film (at least with the amount my dad shoots). He uses a Canon EOS1D MkIII.

hhEb09'1
2008-Aug-30, 10:50 PM
well, for a start you can't use your best camera to take a picture of itself.mirrors :)

Delvo
2008-Aug-31, 02:34 AM
I had a Fuji S9200 (known in other countries as S9600) for about a year, which I loved, but now it's been missing for a couple of weeks. :( Replacing it with the same model isn't possible anymore, and replacing it with something close like the S100fs would cost hundreds of dollars. :(

LotusExcelle
2008-Aug-31, 03:31 PM
I long for a 1ds mkII or III - I think its the only camera built to withstand what the Leicas can withstand. And yes - film cost and scanning time is a huge huge issue right now. It takes me 5 minutes to scan one slide (of course I'm scanning at 4000dpi and in 4 channels) but that is just outlandishly crazy.

So my switch to digital *will* happen and I'm kind of jealous of people with nice (read: canon full-frame) digital. I'll be keeping my Leica glass in service as the Canons can fit them - and I'll be keeping my SL MOT rig. But my SL2 will be up for sale.

Anyone else want to post a pic of their setup?

cjl
2008-Aug-31, 10:07 PM
I long for a 1ds mkII or III - I think its the only camera built to withstand what the Leicas can withstand. And yes - film cost and scanning time is a huge huge issue right now. It takes me 5 minutes to scan one slide (of course I'm scanning at 4000dpi and in 4 channels) but that is just outlandishly crazy.

So my switch to digital *will* happen and I'm kind of jealous of people with nice (read: canon full-frame) digital. I'll be keeping my Leica glass in service as the Canons can fit them - and I'll be keeping my SL MOT rig. But my SL2 will be up for sale.

Anyone else want to post a pic of their setup?

The 1Ds series are amazing, no doubt (my dad's is the 1D, not 1Ds, due to the fact that he needs the high speed). They certainly cost an arm and a leg though.

My dad uses his for pictures of things like my rockets though. Here's one of his better shots IMO:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/chris_lapanse/th_IMG_3691_MHMayhem4-6-06_BrantX-2.jpg (http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/chris_lapanse/IMG_3691_MHMayhem4-6-06_BrantX-2.jpg)

mugaliens
2008-Sep-01, 09:41 AM
well, for a start you can't use your best camera to take a picture of itself.

Who says?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mugaliens/IMG_0502.jpg

Neverfly
2008-Sep-01, 11:08 AM
Who says?

You've succeeded in capturing a UFO.

LotusExcelle
2008-Sep-01, 11:16 PM
Although my typical shooting subject/style means I don't need the speed of a 1d (a 1ds however...) I can still manage to get a few good high-speed shots off. My new motordrive should help with this kind of thing too. But as a note this is the only shot I took of this plane in flight. 400mm Telyt lens. And I'm pretty sure I was at 1/2000th with 200 speed film.