PDA

View Full Version : 'Meet your daemon' game from 'The Golden Compass'

Paracelsus
2008-Aug-30, 07:27 PM
The website for the movie adaptation of Philip Pullman's book The Golden Compass has feature that is an interactive personality quiz, the purpose of which is to find your 'daemon'--your soul incarnate, if you will. The website is here: http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

Now, the test itself is about as accurate as a magic 8-ball, but it is a blast to mess around with. When I'm actually giving the test honest answers, I get paired with a rather embarrassed-looking ocelot named 'Archaeon'. Other times, I've been paired with 'Alvin' the tiger and 'Xyrzxy' the fox. The computer program was running a little short of names that day, I suppose.

I put my step-monster's personality profile in there too. I figured she'd be paired with a spider, a rattlesnake, a rabid doberman, a sewer rat, or something similar. She got a fuzzy-wuzzy little bunny rabbit. The website told her that her test results showed her to be clever, responsible, dependable, sociable, and relaxed.

As I said, this is not a particularly accurate test.

Have fun!

ravens_cry
2008-Aug-30, 07:58 PM
I got Eomor the Jackal. According to the system I am flexible, assertive, outgoing, spontaneous, and, shy? Enjoyable, though it nearly killed my computer.

Tobin Dax
2008-Aug-30, 08:27 PM
Paracelsus, you've been ToSeeked. He posted this around the time the movie came out. My daemon was a snow leopard, IIRC.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Aug-30, 09:50 PM
I've been paired Hermonystra, the Fox. Dunna what that's worth, but there it is.

Paul Beardsley
2008-Aug-30, 09:59 PM
I’m 45 years old and my daemon still hasn’t settled!

(I might have said that last time the game made an appearance.)

My wife Clare and I were among those people who had read the first two books and then kept pestering bookshop assistants to find out when The Amber Spyglass was coming out. (It got delayed by a year at one point.) We went to Oxford for a convention, and Philip Pullman was sitting a few feet away from us with the complete manuscript of the last novel on the table in front of him. Wow, was that frustrating!

Lord Jubjub
2008-Aug-31, 12:38 AM
Euthalius the Chimp. I also took the test back when the movie came out. I think that one was also a chimp.

But it described as a loner and a leader. Is that possible?

Paracelsus
2008-Aug-31, 12:56 AM
Paracelsus, you've been ToSeeked. He posted this around the time the movie came out. My daemon was a snow leopard, IIRC.

Ugh, I was afraid of that!! :( That's what comes from taking a very long break from BAUT.

But it described as a loner and a leader. Is that possible?

With that test, it is very possible. As I said, it isn't very accurate.

Tobin Dax
2008-Aug-31, 04:57 PM
Ugh, I was afraid of that!! :( That's what comes from taking a very long break from BAUT.
IIRC, he posted this well before your break. Don't worry, there's a reasing ToSeek's name has become a verb. :)

Abbadon_2008
2008-Aug-31, 09:10 PM
I suppose the use of the term 'daemon' is one thing that irked te relgious protesters.

It is, after all, the origin of the modern term 'demon'.