PDA

View Full Version : Does any one here like Spam?

Redrum
2008-Sep-01, 08:22 PM
Does anyone like spam at all? If you do or you don't post about it here!:)

jrkeller
2008-Sep-01, 09:02 PM

My parents (both of the WWII era) served Spam occassionally. I've tried it a few times as an adult and think it is not very good. It's passable if it's fried.

Paul Leeks
2008-Sep-02, 01:15 AM
I like corned beef is that the same as spam??

sarongsong
2008-Sep-02, 01:34 AM
no

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/animals/animals_99.gif

ravens_cry
2008-Sep-02, 01:48 AM
I like corned beef is that the same as spam??
Ever had corned mutton? I find it makes a fine sandwich if you slice it about 3/8ths of a centimeter thick, with tomatoes, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise/whipped dressing/salad cream,The tomato is imperative, other wise it is too salty, what with both Djon and corned mutton.

WaxRubiks
2008-Sep-02, 02:09 AM
does anyone else here get spam form mike taylor.

him and his "system"...

Jeff Root
2008-Sep-02, 02:49 AM
I haven't had it in quite a few years, but I think it's okay in small amounts.
My dad has said he likes it, so I think my mom still buys it occasionally.
I wouldn't want to be stuck with nothing to eat but Spam, Spam, Spam,
and Spam!

Oh -- I was also going to say that a few weeks ago, at a restaurant and
market near me that specializes in foods from Iran, Turkey, and around the
south Caspian Sea region, I had put-it-together-yourself gyro sandwiches
with particularly good gyro meat. What makes it remarkable is that I had
way more than I could eat, and heating the leftover meat for a couple of
minutes the next day in a regular oven and putting it on my favorite
Brownberry "Health Nut" bread (the smaller, denser, more expensive of
the two identically-named loaves) made it taste fabulous. Much better
than any I'd had previously.

-- Jeff, in Hormel Country

Tedward
2008-Sep-02, 04:10 AM
I know some Vikings who do. Never stop going on about it.

Might own up to liking spam fritters...

Delvo
2008-Sep-02, 04:27 AM
I like it in a sandwich, but don't have it often because of its fat content. (It was invented for soldiers in the early twentieth century, and my daily energy use is not quite as high as theirs.)

novaderrik
2008-Sep-02, 04:34 AM
i hate it- it's always clogging up my inbox and trying to get me to buy pills i don't want or need.

DLHall
2008-Sep-02, 04:38 AM
Corned Mutton?? What is that--Scottish Spam?
I like it sliced and fried almost crispy. But it is so salty, I can't eat as much of it as I used to. Blood Pressure goes through the roof.
The place that goes nuts for Spam is Hawaii--the highest per-capita consumption of Spam in the world.
I knew a fellow from Papua New Guinea who swore his grandfather loved Spam because it reminded him of "Long Pig" --a euphamism for Human.

Whirlpool
2008-Sep-02, 04:43 AM
this spam ?

http://blockemailspam.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/stop-spam.jpg

suuuree .. yummy!

<drools>

ravens_cry
2008-Sep-02, 05:21 AM
Corned Mutton?? What is that--Scottish Spam?
I like it sliced and fried almost crispy. But it is so salty, I can't eat as much of it as I used to. Blood Pressure goes through the roof.
The place that goes nuts for Spam is Hawaii--the highest per-capita consumption of Spam in the world.
I knew a fellow from Papua New Guinea who swore his grandfather loved Spam because it reminded him of "Long Pig" --a euphamism for Human.
Yeah, it is very salty, thats why I like it with sliced tomatoes. The stuff I buy is imported from New Zealand, but is in the ethnic food aisle with Henna powder, East Indian Peanut Brittle, and more exotic forms of Raman (like 'Shrimp Creamy Tom Yum Flavor!'.

sarongsong
2008-Sep-02, 05:32 AM
...The place that goes nuts for Spam is Hawaii...They've got back-up; the Great American SPAM Championship :)

July 9, 2008
...The [Washington County Fair] SPAM contest's theme is "Crazy Tasty"...is also being held at 40 host state and county fairs in 2008; the champion wins a trip to the SPAM JAM Waikiki Event (http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/waikiki-spam-jam-08/) in Hawaii next April. A National SPAM Kid Chef of the Year wins a $2,000 cash prize.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/fooddrink/s_576565.html)
Rules (http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:RZua-Sp5aDMJ:www.bigtex.com/docs/GreatAmericanSpamChampionship08Hndbk.pdf+Great+Ame rican+SPAM+Championship&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=opera)

jt-3d
2008-Sep-02, 05:48 AM
Spam is great! I don't get enough spam. It versitle, it's tasty, it's spamspamspamspam. Spam, wonderful spam. Yes send me...er...buy me more spam.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Sep-03, 02:45 AM
Spam is good if fried till almost crispy, then put between two slices of pumpernickel, some cheddar cheese, and lots of yellow mustard.

Otherwise, you should keep it away from me.

slang
2008-Sep-03, 09:47 AM
this spam ?

http://blockemailspam.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/stop-spam.jpg

I'm so tempted to use the "Report Spam" button on this post.. but I don't dare to meddle in the affairs of mods, for they are subtle and quick to anger :)

I have a vague childhood memory of eating this once. I'm not sure if I remember it because it was good or bad.

Ivan Viehoff
2008-Sep-03, 10:57 AM
In addition to tasting horrible and having a disgusting flobbedy texture, spam sometimes has this jelly in the corners/edges of the cans which has a really lurid pink or blue colour, which is suggestive of a chemistry in its production which makes me very suspicious. Although the original production of spam predates mechanised meat separation processes such as mechanically recovered meat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_recovered_meat, and advanced meat recovery, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_meat_recovery, it looks like the kind of stuff which might be made this way today. Both of these are so far removed from what you would like to happen to food you eat, and in general make one suspicious about what bits of animal are actually in it, that I will not eat anything that even resembles it today if I have any choice in the matter.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-03, 10:58 AM
In addition to tasting horrible and having a disgusting flobbedy texture, spam sometimes has this jelly in the corners/edges of the cans which has a really lurid pink or blue colour, which is suggestive of a chemistry in its production which makes me very suspicious. Although the original production of spam predates mechanised meat separation processes such as mechanically recovered meat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanically_recovered_meat, and advanced meat recovery, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_meat_recovery, it looks like the kind of stuff which might be made this way today. Both of these are so far removed from what you would like to happen to food you eat, and in general make one suspicious about what bits of animal are actually in it, that I will not eat anything that even resembles it today if I have any choice in the matter.

Like HotDogs? And Sausages?

Ivan Viehoff
2008-Sep-03, 02:37 PM
Like HotDogs? And Sausages?
Certainly I don't eat Frankenfurters, and am in general suspicious of all sausages of fine undifferentiated texture, and indeed any kind of sausage which only obtainable pre-cooked. Frankenfurters have a rather suspicious blandness with a chemical edge which I don't like anyway. I also refuse to eat any meat products which have di-, tri- or poly-phosphates on their ingredients list, these chemicals are added purely to increase water-retentiveness, and thus sell you water instead of meat. The cheap British sausage, as widely sold in supermarkets and served in transport cafés, and from late night stalls in central London, is also an object to be avoided like the plague.

In several countries in Europe (at least), including Britain, you can buy high quality sausages, generally of a coarse texture, and either raw requiring thorough cooking, or else cured (like salami). In these conditions, I don't think it would be feasible to include MRM in the ingredients. They are not cheap, nor available everywhere that sells meat, but they are truly wonderful. Indeed we consider such things very highly desirable. They are the only kind of sausage I eat, when I have any say in the matter. In fact I avoid buying any meat at all in down- or mid-market supermarkets, apart from imported charcuterie.

I was persuaded, by a Swiss friend when in Switzerland, to try some of their sausages they have in Switzerland, I forget the name, which are of undifferentiated texture, and suspiciously pale. I learned the paleness comes because they are made of veal. In agreeing to this, it occurred to me that the Swiss, having very strict food laws (on the naturalness of food), probably wouldn't allow any crap in their sausages, and my friends were certainly very discerning in food matters. But I was nonetheless rather disappointed by these sausages. In the distant future when I have plenty of time, I'll probably have a go at making my own sausages so I know exactly what's in them, and it will be of high quality.

I also examine the ingredients list on patés very carefully, and won't buy most of them. Though I confess the most common reason for refusing to buy them is the large amount of lard in the ingredients list. Quite what lard is doing in the ingredients list of chicken liver paté I find it very hard to tell, aside from making it cheaper and less healthy, it certainly isn't included in my home-made clp.

Extravoice
2008-Sep-03, 02:44 PM
Spam that has been thinly sliced and fried makes the perfect breakfast food for camping trips. You couldn't get me to eat it directly out of the can, though.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Sep-03, 06:17 PM
Raw Spam is a bit nasty, as are the gelatinous globsters which gather in the corners.

But it does make for a good meal if properly prepared.

Joe Boy
2008-Sep-04, 02:42 AM
When I was young we were sort of poor. Spam was cheap so we were exposed to it often. My mom would mix it with velveta cheese, put some between a hamburger bun and toast it in the broiler. I kiddingly called them "Spam Bams" for the way I purported that they hit your stomach. I hate spam, always did, always will. My mom did the best she could with what little she had to work with. I forgive her.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 03:42 AM
Spam is no longer cheap.
What's up with that?

I can go to the Surplus store and buy MRE's for an arm and a leg too.
I had enough of them back in the Army- it amazes me anyone would PAY for them...:doh:

sarongsong
2008-Sep-04, 06:58 AM
Spam is no longer cheap. What's up with that?...Just about everything! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon8.gif
May 29, 2008
...white bread up 13 percent...bacon up 7 percent and peanut butter up 9 percent...Spam is up too, with the average 12 oz. can about $2.62....[up] nearly 7 percent from the same time last year...
Minneapolis Star-Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/business/19339744.html)

Extravoice
2008-Sep-04, 11:55 AM
I can go to the Surplus store and buy MRE's for an arm and a leg too.
I had enough of them back in the Army- it amazes me anyone would PAY for them...:doh:

/threadjack

They aren't very tasty, but MREs make excellent emergency supplies because they don't take up much space, can be stored for long periods without spoiling (how could you tell? ;))and are high in calories.

/ End threadjack

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 12:07 PM
I can say the same for grasshoppers and caterpillars.

suntrack2
2008-Sep-04, 02:24 PM
what is the full form of spam ?? is it "superior parts added in mailing", or "subtract parameter addition mathematics", "so much paragraphs added in mail", "south pole anti matter" or "southern probably active monkey", or what??

I know spam means unwanted mails in our mail box, unwanted means we have not welcome them to come, but they found our email id and got the way to reach in the mail-box, normally "recepeints undisclosed" mails are spams?

Extravoice
2008-Sep-04, 02:32 PM
Spiced ham

suntrack2
2008-Sep-04, 02:40 PM
Spiced ham

really I laughed much loudly. :)

spam become a great amusement, stranger like experience and a great timepass, is it not, or you know I have seen many people who are reading the spam mails very interestingly, because they have a lot of time with them, inshort the spams are responsible to "spend our time", unnecessary reading trouble, and more and more.

the topic is very fine.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 02:56 PM
I don't read 'em.

drainbread
2008-Sep-04, 04:03 PM
Well, someone had to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrtpT1mKy8

sarongsong
2008-Sep-04, 07:52 PM
No they didn't [the Monty Python re-play, to save everyone the trouble of looking at a descriptionless video link]. :(

mugaliens
2008-Sep-05, 12:02 AM
Raw Spam is a bit nasty, as are the gelatinous globsters which gather in the corners.

Are those related to the lobsters which gather in North Atlantic traps?

But it does make for a good meal if properly prepared.

So do Atlantic lobsters!

Abbadon_2008
2008-Sep-11, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by Abbadon_2008

Large hunks of organic flotsam, which wash ashore occasionally, come to be known as 'globsters'. They are generally identified as 'globs' of whale blubber, or part of large carcass -- like a basking shark. Many people misinterpret these 'globsters' as something from an unknown species.

But each one that has been studied has been proven to be nothing but a hunk of flesh,with maybe some seaweed tangled up in it.:whistle:

sarongsong
2008-Sep-11, 03:09 AM
Large hunks of organic flotsam, which wash ashore occasionally, come to be known as 'globsters'...and then there's whale ambergris (http://www.bautforum.com/general-science/63877-what-active-ingredient-ambergris.html), a different kettle of fish. :whistle:

Studioguy
2008-Sep-11, 03:52 AM
The gelatinous material in the Spam can is called twillig.

Twillig is also used as a sort of spackle for turkey loaves in place of the natural fats that have been lost during processing.

It makes me smile to say the word Twillig out loud.

The thought of eating it makes me look like my avatar.

Torsten
2008-Sep-11, 04:49 AM
SPAM inspires!

In the can of SPAM
A severed human finger
Pleasant texture change

SPAM and Tang dinner.
Meal most feared by astronauts.
"Open the trash, HAL."

Apollo-Soyuz.
They gave vodka; we gave SPAM.
The Cold War resumed.

Bhagavad Gita:
"Now I am become SPAM, the
destroyer of meals."

More:
The SPAM-ku Archive (http://mit.edu/jync/www/spam/archive.html)

closetgeek
2008-Sep-11, 02:57 PM
Spam reminds me of two things, Lunch with my grandfather at Heckshire State Park.
It was his daily ritual; Two slices of fried spam on a hamburger bun, with cheese and ketchup. I used to love when he invited me to come along.

The second was a guy I used to work with. His name was Dan, he was unusually tall so first I think his name was Giant Dan, then Giant man, then somehow he became Giant Spam.

Pippin
2008-Sep-11, 03:21 PM
I've had Spam and cheese sandwiches, it's not really that bad tasting. The trick is to not read the ingredient list and not to view that previously mentioned gelatinous stuff. So don't open the can yourself, and never ever read the ingredients.

closetgeek
2008-Sep-11, 03:25 PM
I've had Spam and cheese sandwiches, it's not really that bad tasting. The trick is to not read the ingredient list and not to view that previously mentioned gelatinous stuff. So don't open the can yourself, and never ever read the ingredients.

Spam, I can handle. If I smell pork cooking, I can't eat it.

Extravoice
2008-Sep-11, 05:29 PM
...and never ever read the ingredients.

According to wikipedia, they are chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite.
That's not so bad.

Scrapple, on the other hand is "typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached."
I wish I had not read its ingredients!
Yummy ;)

Delvo
2008-Sep-12, 02:00 AM
Scrapple's so horrid that there are no words that could be worse than the experience of actually having it in your mouth anyway; any description you could come up with, no matter how disgusting, would still make it sound better than it is!

closetgeek
2008-Sep-12, 02:03 AM
Scrapple's so horrid that there are no words that could be worse than the experience of actually having it in your mouth anyway; any description you could come up with, no matter how disgusting, would still make it sound better than it is!

I eat basically chicken and beef so it won't be me, but I hope to see a Scrapple recipe in the post your dinner thread, really soon.

sarongsong
2008-Sep-12, 02:41 AM
Scrapple's so horrid...Hee-hee; I've discovered (from ye olde penniless hitch-hiking days) that when I got hungry enough, just about anything edible would do!
[Fast-food outlets' outside kitchen dumpsters were a fave because unsold items were regularly tossed out, boxed in their original wrappings, after X amount of time.]

geonuc
2008-Sep-12, 09:10 AM
Yes.

Worst. food. ever.

alexvorn2
2008-Sep-12, 03:34 PM
Spam or not spam? - this is the question!

Buttercup
2008-Dec-31, 04:26 PM
Spam that has been thinly sliced and fried makes the perfect breakfast food for camping trips.

Reduced-Fat Spam, sliced 1/4 inch thick, fried & sprinkled with pepper. Served as a breakfast sandwich with fried egg & slice of melted cheese is yummy.

You couldn't get me to eat it directly out of the can, though.

I will, but only with a soft white dinner roll and dabs of butter (which negates the Reduced-Fat variety, lol...which is why I often don't eat it this way).

PetersCreek
2008-Dec-31, 05:25 PM
Spiced ham

I prefer my own definition: Spurious Ham

As a meat smoker, curer, and sausage maker, I'm a bit of a snob in this department. To me, Spam is an abomination...a desecration of the exhalted porcine. It's bad enough that Hormel presses brine-cured pork bits into a vagely ham-like shape and calls it ham. This stuff, they pump into a can and cook it there...basically a caseless sausage...and to my taste, not a good one at all. :sick: :lol:

danscope
2008-Dec-31, 06:05 PM
Hi, Special process ham (Spam) is a usefull culinary tool in that it seems to keep well for quite some time. My wife and I keep an emergency larder; a good store of the food stuffs that will carry us over in the event of a one month disaster ie major hurricane, ice storm...etc. Thankfully they are rare,
infrequent to be sure, but it is a simple matter of rotating the stock of such a
store. In that, I occasionally use spam for breakfast. Fried up with eggs and homefries, it serves me well. I "prefer" a good canned ham, and there are some better than others.
In Hawaii, where I lived for some years, they prize this canned spam confection , and serve it with fresh pineapple. Back in the day, there just wasn't a lot of meat in the islands. Fish and poi were the main stays.
When the military came to Hawaii, they brought with them the miracle of canned meat....ie Spam. Food of the gods they thought. Twist off the lid and
feast!! In England, durring the second World War, Spam became a luxury commodity as there were severe scarcities of all food items, and again, military spam found it's way onto the great list of wanted foods that kept well. Luxury.....'OH! To have some canned meat!' (For those too young to remember, spam used to come with a
"Twist Key" soldered to the bottom, which had a small 1/4 inch slit through which you put the slim metal tab of the pre-scored opening strip into, and then started to carefully wind the key, pulling the metal strip off in a neat 1/4 inch ribbon, allowing you to open the can in the field without getting any metal fillings in the meat. This method persisted for "years". )
Nothing is better than fresh meats when you can get them. But the blessings of a can....in season, serve us well. When your power has been off for four days and you can't cook on your electric stove, a slice of spam on a stick over a wood fire tastes remarkably good.
Spam,.......'cause...ya never know. Ya know? Ya never know. :lol:
Best regards, Dan

BigDon
2008-Dec-31, 06:58 PM
This has been known to wake up bears in winter when reheated.

In a large frying pan put two cans of diced spam and saute until browned. When nearly done with the browning process add six to eight diced russet potatoes and saute a bit longer until the potatoes start to get some color. (I have big frying pans)

Lower heat and add about two cups brown sugar, ( I always eye shoot it so you have to add to taste) two cans of whole kernal corn and enough maple syrup so you can taste it. There should be enough moisture to make a liquid, if not add a bit.

Cover and simmer until the pototoes are done all the way through. As I tend to use liberal amounts of salt and pepper while cooking it has a "kettle corn" effect of salty and sweet that you will either love or hate.

Buttercup
2008-Dec-31, 07:33 PM
(For those too young to remember, spam used to come with a
"Twist Key" soldered to the bottom, which had a small 1/4 inch slit through which you put the slim metal tab of the pre-scored opening strip into, and then started to carefully wind the key, pulling the metal strip off in a neat 1/4 inch ribbon, allowing you to open the can in the field without getting any metal fillings in the meat. This method persisted for "years". )

I don't remember Spam that way (too young I guess), but for years corned beef was packaged that way; Hormel, Mary Kitchen, etc. In the past 4 years or so the twist key/strip has been replaced with a big tab (which hurts my fingers big-time) on the underside. :( Not an improvement...

Big Don, that recipe sounds good.

danscope
2008-Dec-31, 09:23 PM
Hi, Yes, the big "pop-lid" must be an manufacturing efficiency. That's because they are cheap; saves them money.
Ah, canned corned beef and dinty moore's beef stew, the cruising sailor's friend. When you are "Out There!" and there weather ahead, you heat up your beef stew, soup and other warm things ahead of time, because there will be no cooking when the heavy weather hits, so you do it while you still can. Poped into a pre-warmed large mouth thermos, these things will save the day, properly chewed and eaten slowly. Add a couple crackers. Yum. For those who don't cook much, the can gets them by, so to speak.
It's kind of like plastic telescopes vs a good Dobsonian, but ....better than nothing. Still, canned food will get you through in a pinch.
By the way, A kitchen towel will shield your hand and fingers from specific danger when you try to pull that lid off. The blood you save might be your own. :)
Best regards, Dan

tommac
2008-Dec-31, 09:35 PM

I went to college out in Hawaii and spam is huge out there. the gas stations used to sell spam sushi.

Now I am much more the goose fois grau type ... but I would eat a nice spam and egg on a toasted bagel.

jt-3d
2008-Dec-31, 11:31 PM
This thread always makes me want a spam and cheese sandwich or something. I have a can but I don't really want to open a whole can.

yeah, okay the jelly is pretty gross but man, it's ham and pork and who knows what. It's greeeaaatt!

Buttercup
2008-Dec-31, 11:53 PM
This thread always makes me want a spam and cheese sandwich or something. I have a can but I don't really want to open a whole can.

My mom said a soda fountain/grill in her teen years (northern Illinois in the 1950's) served grilled Spam & cheese sandwiches. Served with it was a 1-scoop ice cream sundae. The duo was called "A Shorty." :)

jt-3d
2009-Jan-01, 12:16 AM
My mom said a soda fountain/grill in her teen years (northern Illinois in the 1950's) served grilled Spam & cheese sandwiches. Served with it was a 1-scoop ice cream sundae. The duo was called "A Shorty." :)

Hmm, my parents were in..middle-west Illinois in the 50s...and 40s...30s too I think. We're practically related! :)

Never heard of the Shorty. Probably a house special, rather than a regional thing. Too bad, I just got back from seeing my mom. I wish I'd asked her about spam stories. I should get some stories while there's still time.

I hope the ice cream was on the side rather than on the spam. Nevertheless...hmmm. http://www.jt-3d.com/forum/images/smilies/eat.gif

Buttercup
2009-Jan-01, 12:27 AM
Lol! :) If you're related to folks with the last name of Wilcoxen or Stufflebeam (spelling?) we likely are related...

Yes, the sundae was sold on the side: In a little glass bowl.

I suppose you're familiar with "Steak 'n Shake" restaurants too (Peoria area)? They served the skinniest french fries; more like shoe-string potatoes, actually. Were frying/selling those even in the 1980s.

jt-3d
2009-Jan-01, 12:44 AM
Ah no, my parents are from there. They moved us down to Texas when I was 3. The great metropolis of Monmouth didn't offer that much in the way of employment for a young man just starting a family. Nowdays I guess I'd have ended up in India. :(

sarongsong
2009-Jan-01, 01:08 AM
...Big Don, that recipe sounds good.Sign him up! :)
...Recipes are judged on taste appeal (40%), appearance (30%) and originality of recipe (30%)...
SPAM (http://www.spam.com/eatspam/contest_rules.aspx)

BigDon
2009-Jan-06, 10:40 PM
My brothers and my friends like it, but my kids hate it. Really stokes the furnace while snow camping.

I just wanted to add that the corn should be drained before you add it to the mix. Otherwise you'll mess it up.

danscope
2009-Jan-06, 11:36 PM
Yep,...when the trout aren't biting, many a camper has comiserated over a can of spam. The camper's friend. :)

Dan

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jan-06, 11:40 PM
I wonder if it would work as bait.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-06, 11:44 PM
Yep,...when the trout aren't biting, many a camper has comiserated over a can of spam. The camper's friend. :)

Dan

In that event, I'd probably rather have canned tuna fish (drained) mixed with Van Camp's pork 'n beans. :)

closetgeek
2009-Jan-06, 11:59 PM
Span and cornbeef hash was my favorite dinner, when I was a kid. Sheesh! could a meal be any more unhealthy?

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jan-07, 12:00 AM
Deep fried chocolate cake might be:whistle:

closetgeek
2009-Jan-07, 12:28 AM
That sounds delicious! Tomorrow my addition to the post your dinner thread will be spam, cornbeef hash, and deep fried chocolate cake

danscope
2009-Jan-07, 02:58 AM
In that event, I'd probably rather have canned tuna fish (drained) mixed with Van Camp's pork 'n beans. :)

Hi Buttercup,
That doesn't sound too bad. I happen to like tunafish. Here in Rhode Island I am fortunate enough to get fresh tuna locally...even fresh broiled at
good restaurants. Top of the food chain. I've never tried camping with
beans and tuna. New cullinary directions build character! :)
Best regards, Dan

Extravoice
2009-Jan-09, 02:03 AM
That sounds delicious! Tomorrow my addition to the post your dinner thread will be spam, cornbeef hash, and deep fried chocolate cake

I went to a town festival a few months back. They had the usual food stands, but one that stood out was selling things like deep-fried Twinkies, Oreo cookies, etc.

Yes, there was a line for that stand <sigh>

closetgeek
2009-Jan-09, 04:49 PM
I went to a town festival a few months back. They had the usual food stands, but one that stood out was selling things like deep-fried Twinkies, Oreo cookies, etc.

Yep, at the county fair they have deep friend candy bars. I have never tried one but I admit, I am curious.

Buttercup
2009-Jan-09, 05:06 PM

You could always get some onion ring batter (mix; powdered) at the local grocery store, coat and deep-fry your own. :) Lots of people swear by deep-fried Mars Bars (or Almond Snickers here in the US).

I'll pass, though; don't need all those calories or carbs!