PDA

View Full Version : Astronomers Link Telescopes to Zoom In On Milky Way's Black Hole

Fraser
2008-Sep-03, 07:00 PM
An international team of astronomers has obtained the closest views ever of what is believed to be a super-massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. The astronomers linked together radio dishes in Hawaii, Arizona and California to create a virtual telescope more than 2,800 miles across that is capable of [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/09/03/astronomers-link-telescopes-to-zoom-in-on-milky-ways-black-hole/)

jamieguinn
2008-Sep-03, 07:29 PM
So why not use this powerful telescope that can see "the equivalent of a baseball seen on the surface of the moon, 240,000 miles distant" be used to look at the moon to once and for all show that we were on the moon... you know, debunk the moon landing hoaxers.

I'm not a moon hoaxer... I just read this story and thought about asking this questions, especially since Phil talked about why the Hubble can't take close pictures of the moon.

antoniseb
2008-Sep-04, 01:04 PM
So why not use this powerful telescope that can see "the equivalent of a baseball seen on the surface of the moon, 240,000 miles distant" be used to look at the moon to once and for all show that we were on the moon...

It would be a synthetic image. How could you argue that it wasn't part of the hoax? Also, the image of Sgr A* was taken in 1.3 mm radio waves. I'm not certain that the Lunar landing sites would be that obvious at that wavelength.

jamieguinn
2008-Sep-04, 02:49 PM
Good point.

How about we give Joe Rogan a ticket on the next flight to the moon?