PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! What should I do?

TheFluffyDuck
2008-Sep-04, 02:02 AM
I am 24 years old. I also have a great full time job as a game artist, albiet not a very good one.
I am in a pickle which I need you guys opinion.
About 2 years ago now I read the God delusion and that started a rekindling for my love of science and hence a journey towards scepticism. Sicne then I have read bucketloads of science books.

I have had a shift in my way of thinking and want to go to uni and study geology. I want to be a sceintists not an artists. That will unfortunately come at the cost of my job and I lll be like 28 by the time I finish just a bachelors degree, and ill have less then $5000 to my name. In todays economic climate with recession on the horizon is it a could idea to go back to uni?

All I read now is science, scepticism and philosophy. I hardly do any art for myself and just play the odd casual game. I have this thirst for knowledge but dont know if its too late to start uni.

I dont want to have a degree and be serving French fries becasue Im too old. Knowing full well I ditched a great full time job.

Ideas from the community?

spratleyj
2008-Sep-04, 02:46 AM
Oh, 24 isn't that bad... Are you talking about going to college full-time, or doing it on the side? I'm not sure about geology, but most P.H.Ds take about 8 years to get, thus most would be graduating when they're about 27, or so... and many others leave college after undergrad school, before returning to get a grad degree.
By the way, what type of job are you looking for? Academia, research, government releated, etc?

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 03:32 AM
With the economy like it is, a University Degree may help provide the security you need!

TheFluffyDuck
2008-Sep-04, 03:39 AM
Well I am interested in research. I know it isnt high paying but I like the idea behind it. My current job will probably pay 50 grand maximum. so I dont know if I am thinking to short term as a senior geologist for a mining company could get tripple that.

Thx for your help guys. IT seems like I wasted the first 6 years out of highschool, even though I was studying during that time with art.

astromark
2008-Sep-04, 10:16 AM
Fluffy duck; Do not be so hard on yourself... being out of collage for six years and thinking of adding to your qualifications is not time wasted... Life is a learning curve.
What does it matter if you are 28 and qualify. Just enjoy your life. Despite gloomy predictions regarding global resession... Ignore it, and it vanishes. I look around and see wealth and prosperity. Head up shoulders back and striding forward....:)
Astronomy and the sciences are excellent choices for mapping a life full of interest. Good on you., and welcome.

geonuc
2008-Sep-04, 11:27 AM
Go for it. Get some financial aid to help with tuition and wait tables while in school to pay for beer and pizza.

LotusExcelle
2008-Sep-04, 11:31 AM
The life/career path I took is not recommended. So I suppose me speaking about this should be taken with a grain of salt - but if I were you I would pursue your *interests* rather than worry about how old you'll be when you get a degree. having an education is worth more than any time or cost involved - and when you are older and have a *career* you'll thank yourself for getting through it.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 11:53 AM
The life/career path I took is not recommended.

It appears that you have managed to pique my curiosity...:think:

LotusExcelle
2008-Sep-04, 12:04 PM
It appears that you have managed to pique my curiosity...:think:

Can I mark that on the universal calendar of unlikely outcomes?

Fazor
2008-Sep-04, 12:09 PM
If it helps, I'm 26 and would go back to college in an instant if I had the time/money to do so. Besides, what's 4 years (or even 8 if you want that PhD.) compared to the rest of your life? Wouldn't it be nice to do something you love?

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 12:09 PM
Can I mark that on the universal calendar of unlikely outcomes?

Yes, right after telling what your career path is.

If it helps, I'm 26 and would go back to college in an instant if I had the time/money to do so. Besides, what's 4 years (or even 8 if you want that PhD.) compared to the rest of your life? Wouldn't it be nice to do something you love?

YES:neutral:

LotusExcelle
2008-Sep-04, 12:15 PM
Maybe I'll start an OTB thread one day regarding a brief synopsis of career/life paths.

mfumbesi
2008-Sep-04, 02:11 PM
I am in my mid-thirties and I am contemplating registering with our long distance Uni (UNISA) for an Astronomy/Astrophysics degree. The cost involved are not as bad as you would assume. I would complete the said degree in my late thirties/early fourthies. I want to do this because it is something I love. I currently can't afford to do it full time, hence the long distance/part-time option.

What I am trying to say is, you are never too old for education.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-04, 02:14 PM
What I am trying to say is, you are never too old for education.

I'm reminded of Bing Crosby in "High Time."

geonuc
2008-Sep-04, 02:16 PM
I obtained my first B.S. at age 38, the second B.S. at 41 and a J.D. at 49.

Late starter, I was. :)

But, it's best to get edumacated early on in life.

TheFluffyDuck
2008-Sep-04, 02:37 PM
thx guys for all your encouragement :)

mugaliens
2008-Sep-05, 12:45 AM

Good advice. I'm nearly double 26, and if I were you, I'd rank all the things you like to do, then pick the top five. Flesh those out in fine detail, including locations, requirements, pay, downsides, etc. Be sure to include which one's match your aptitudes. Hopefully, you'll find one, or even two, whereby additional training is minimal but the pay is better than what you're getting, now.

Jay200MPH
2008-Sep-05, 04:49 AM
The job market in geology and geophysics is insane right now, especially if you want to go into resource exploration (oil, gas, minerals.) You DO NOT need a Master's or PhD to get a really good position. It's totally possible for a freshly-minted BSc to land six figures.

I practically walked into my job (I'm with the German national geophysics institute, the Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum) while I was on vacation. I dropped off a resume mostly on a lark at 4:00 PM Thursday and they called me back for an interview bright and early Friday morning. I had the job pretty much immediately. Keep in mind I'd JUST graduated and had almost NO professional experience.

So, ya, if you enjoy the work, it's a really good field to get into.

- J