PDA

View Full Version : Explanation Error in Book

jgravatt
2003-Oct-13, 02:09 PM
I haven't read every thread here, so maybe this has already been brought up. Sorry if I"m duplicative.

I was rereading the chapter on top 10 movie mistakes (section on turning spaceships in space). You explain that a plane turns by banking, which causes the thrust to turn to the side or something to that exten--if forget the exact terminology used. Anyways, this is not correct.

An aircraft does turn by banking. However, it is the horizontal component of lift created by banking which turns the aircraft. It is not really changing the thrust or however it was actually explained.

jgravatt
2003-Oct-13, 05:22 PM
If anyone has their book handy could they post the exact language here. Thanks.

Eroica
2003-Oct-13, 06:50 PM
We moribund humans are conditioned to expect airplanes to bank as they make turns. Tilting the wings of the plane helps redirect the thrust to the side, turning the plane. But note what is doing the pushing: air.

Bad Astronomy (pp 248-249)

kilopi
2003-Oct-13, 07:15 PM
I haven't read every thread here, so maybe this has already been brought up.
That's the raison I am here--The Bad Aviator brought it up a little while ago (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=13143#13143), and there was some discussion you might be interested in.

jgravatt
2003-Oct-13, 07:29 PM
Thanks, I wasn't sure that it'd been covered. I enjoyed the book nonetheless!

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Oct-13, 08:28 PM
I think this was corrected in the fifth printing, but I don't have one here to check. I'll take a look later.

jgravatt
2003-Oct-14, 02:46 AM
I'm really looking forward to another book, hope one is coming soon.

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-15, 01:59 AM
We moribund humans are conditioned to expect airplanes to bank as they make turns. Tilting the wings of the plane helps redirect the thrust to the side, turning the plane. But note what is doing the pushing: air.

Bad Astronomy (pp 248-249)

My edition (5th. edition) has the same statement. (Erotica may have the same edition as me.)

The description of thrust sounds scientifically valid to me from what I know about how the shuttles moves in space.

Eroica
2003-Oct-15, 07:45 AM
(Erotica may have the same edition as me.)
Erotica? Oh, you tease!

kilopi
2003-Oct-15, 01:01 PM
Only one edition, five printings. Right?

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-16, 03:39 AM
Hmmm... any sixth printing on the horizon?