PDA

View Full Version : Black Holes Can Only Get So Big

Fraser
2008-Sep-05, 10:10 PM
Black holes are thought to exist throughout the universe, with the largest and most massive found at the centers of the largest galaxies. These supermassive black holes have been shown to have masses upwards of one billion times that of our own Sun. But an astronomer studying black holes says there's an upper limit [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/09/05/black-holes-can-only-get-so-big/)

tdvance
2008-Sep-05, 10:56 PM
It doesn't seem to be a limit in the same way that the Speed of Light is a limit. In the (very unlikely) event that two "maximal"-sized black holes collide, I'd think they'd not "bounce" but merge.

GOURDHEAD
2008-Sep-06, 02:24 AM
Does the Lens-Thirring effect have a role in this? Is the surrounding space so twisted that an otherwise colliding black hole would be prevented from merging?

blueshift
2008-Sep-06, 09:15 PM
That astronomer might be unaware that a similar study with a similar conclusion was drawn about 3 plus years ago by Amy Barger and Lennox Cowie.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/17/news/story8.html

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-07, 01:38 AM
As if anyone could stop them. ;-)

Lepton
2008-Sep-07, 01:40 AM
As if anyone could stop them. ;-)

Now we know why it's important for a black hole to eat otherwise it will never get big and strong.

WaxRubiks
2008-Sep-07, 01:43 AM
I had the idea that a black hole could not exceed, in size, half the size of the hypersphere it was in, as if the BH approached this size the Universe would expand exponentially to keep the BH under half the size-might be cobblers, I dunno; that would be one big BH anyway; but maybe that would apply to the sum size of all the black holes in the Universe and not just one single one....bit ATM.

Lepton
2008-Sep-07, 01:45 AM
I had the idea that a black hole could not exceed, in size, half the size of the hypersphere it was in, as if the BH approached this size the Universe would expand exponentially to keep the BH under half the size-might be cobblers, I dunno; that would be one big BH anyway; but maybe that would apply to the sum size of all the black holes in the Universe and not just one single one....bit ATM.

ooh, an ATM. Great, I need some cash :lol: