PDA

View Full Version : mathematical websites or texts plz

dodecahedron
2008-Sep-07, 09:20 PM
My goal is to be able to perform mathematical calculations which will enable me to predict the location of various celestial objects, the phase of the moon and strange things like a transit of Jupiter as seen from Pluto.
I know there are lots of websites which will perform this function using javascript, perl, python, etc. but I'd like to learn how to do it myself.
Would anyone be able to provide information for books or websites pertinent to my autodidactic course of study?

Tim Thompson
2008-Sep-07, 10:05 PM
Look for the several books by Jean Meeus. He wrote several books explaining how to write your own astronomical software for calculators and home computers. Sounds like what you are looking for. Examples are Astronomical Algorithms, Astronomical Formulae for Calculators and a few books with Mathematical Astronomical Morsels in the title.

frankuitaalst
2008-Sep-07, 11:02 PM
Look for the several books by Jean Meeus. He wrote several books explaining how to write your own astronomical software for calculators and home computers. Sounds like what you are looking for. Examples are Astronomical Algorithms, Astronomical Formulae for Calculators and a few books with Mathematical Astronomical Morsels in the title.
Thats what I thought too..
Meeus has participated to the Solex program , which does exactly what you intend to do . Here's a link to some of his books.
http://www.obliquity.com/astro/meeus.html