PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary---sort of

Ad Hominid
2002-Mar-21, 12:05 AM
The biped formerly known as Piltdown here. I have been away for a long time, having been concerned with other matters, especially since September 11.
This is an appropriate time for my return, because March 21st happens to be the first anniversary of the rerun of Fox TVs loathesome moon hoax show (I have used this description so often that I will just abbreviate it as LMHS)*. I know this only because our local Fox affiliate, KJTV, interviewed me during a brief news segment that ran right after the LMHS. A friend of mine happened to record the show and the news segment for me, and spotted it this afternoon with the date written on the spine of the video. Critical thinking activist Harvey Madison was also interviewed during the segment. Together, we only had about 2 minutes, but I think we really trashed the LMHS during that time, thanks to the favorable attitude and excellent technical work of reporter/news director Hal Nelson and videographer Doug Wilkinson. KJTV anchor Jeff Klotzman introduced the story by saying,"We're not in the habit of trashing our own programming here at KJTV, but any of you who saw the moon hoax program earlier will know what we are talking about."
As far as I know, KJTV was the only Fox affiliate that publicly repudiated the LMHS.
The moon hoaxers seem to have been beaten back into their own little corner of the conspira-wacky world. I think a very large part of the credit for this is due to the work of the BA himself, and of the regulars on this board. It was an ugly fight for a while, but I think the good guys won. My thanks to all of you.
Unfortunately, much more serious issues have emerged, and the conspiracist mentality behind the LMHS, though not the moon hoax claim itself, appears to be sweeping the world like a prairie fire. As part of the fallout, science and reason are under attack more than ever. I will get back into the fray as soon as I have time to lurk for a while and familiarize with the current state of the board.

*"L" is a very useful letter here, since it can also stand for "lunatic" "ludicrous" "loser's" "lame" and "lamentable"

Peter B
2002-Mar-21, 03:55 AM
{Slightly baffled mode}

You mean that one of your local TV stations ran a news item on a program they'd just screened (a bit strange) and said it was a load of cobblers (frankly unbelievable)?

{Looks at Ad Hominid with respect}

Ad Hominid
2002-Mar-21, 04:25 AM
On 2002-03-20 22:55, Peter B wrote:
{Slightly baffled mode}

You mean that one of your local TV stations ran a news item on a program they'd just screened (a bit strange) and said it was a load of cobblers (frankly unbelievable)?
They did indeed. Here are some links:
NASAwatch.com (http://www.nasawatch.com/fox.moon.hoax.html) and the transcript at Transcript of KJTV hoax bash (http://www.nasawatch.com/fox.moon.hoax/03.23.01.kjtv.transcript.html). This is still a little different from the wording of the actual broadcast, but not in any way that matters.
The hoax program had first been shown on (I think) January 17th, so there was plenty of time to prepare a followup for the re-broadcast on March 21. I don't know how it is in Australia, but here in the States the local stations are independently owned, and they have final control over programming. They rarely challenge what comes in over the network, but they always reserve the right to do so. The network is just a supplier of programming. I suspect that some local affiliates enjoy tweeking the network's nose when they get a chance.

{Looks at Ad Hominid with respect}

Many thanks, but it was really the integrity and intelligence of the KJTV management and news staff that made this possible. My part, besides saying a few words (some borrowed from this very board) on air, was to write to Hal Nelson after the first hoax broadcast and suggest some kind of local followup to the re-broadcast.