PDA

View Full Version : A little test

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-15, 03:46 AM
Please participate in the poll before reading.

Right. Well. Apparently most people pick 3. We'll wait a bit to see if it's true or not...

ocasey3
2003-Oct-15, 03:48 AM
:o

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-15, 04:22 AM
:-k

Mr. X
2003-Oct-15, 04:37 AM
Definitely one of the weird threads/polls I've seen around... :)

tuffel999
2003-Oct-15, 04:43 AM
I almost picked 3 because I usually pick C on things like this but I figured it for a setup so I picked 1. Oops. Sorry about that, I over thought it.

Mr. X
2003-Oct-15, 04:44 AM
But why would people pick 3 out of all of them?

Mainframes
2003-Oct-15, 10:25 AM
But why would people pick 3 out of all of them?

Because to quote those wierd creature comfort like worms that advertise BBC three 'Three is the magic number!'

gethen
2003-Oct-15, 12:48 PM
Yeah, and according to Three Dog Night, one is the loneliest number, and two can be as bad as one. So you have to pick three or four. :wink:

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-15, 01:23 PM
I hope you do not mind a little constructive critisism.

I would have liked a more descriptive question than "which one," something like "Which number do you like the best" or "what number do you assosiate most with."

I have to confess and say that I read through the tread and then answered the poll, once I had an idea of what others had said.

Eroica
2003-Oct-15, 03:02 PM
You shouldn't have included the word "one" in the question. It might skew the results.

Mr. X
2003-Oct-15, 03:43 PM
Because to quote those wierd creature comfort like worms that advertise BBC three 'Three is the magic number!'
weird?
Creature comfort?
worms?
advertise?
BBC?
magic?

Are you using narcotics? :lol:

LTC8K6
2003-Oct-15, 04:18 PM
Canadian or American? :D

The choices, not the narcotics. :o

xbck1
2003-Oct-15, 04:33 PM
I picked 2, just because fewer people did it. :D

LTC8K6
2003-Oct-15, 04:35 PM
How did you know fewer people had picked 2? (You weren't supposed to look)

xbck1
2003-Oct-15, 04:44 PM
I wasn't logged in at the time that I read the poll, and I didn't see TSC's post before I saw the poll options.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-15, 11:28 PM
Boy, this may have gone better in a place where people think less... anyway, looks like the "one" in the question may have skewed the results... whoops. Anyway, three seems to not have won...

Thank you for your participaton and another very strange poll/thread may be on its way. :)

Pi Man
2003-Oct-16, 01:16 AM
Okaaaaaaaaaaay...... 8-[ I trust you'll clear this up eventually.... :lol:

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-16, 01:42 AM
:lol:

I just remembering reading somewhere that, when presented with the numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4, people generally picked 3. I wanted to see if it was true or not.

Pi Man
2003-Oct-16, 02:53 AM
Ok... I can read your mind! Watch this! You have to say the answers out loud for it to work.

What is two times three?
what is three times three?
what is four times three?
pick a vegetable.

Now, copy the text that is too small to be recognizable text below and paste it into notepad. You might get a shock.
Text--->Did you pick carrots?<---Text

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-16, 02:58 AM
Nope, peas. Sorry.

But that's only because I've heard it before. :wink:

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-16, 03:09 AM
Nope. I picked corn and I have never heard this one before.

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-16, 04:16 AM
No, I picked potatoes. Well first I picked a cucumber, but then I remembered that by definition a cucumber is a fruit since it has seeds. Why should I have picked that other vegetable?

Pi Man
2003-Oct-16, 05:48 AM
Hmmmm... You guys must just be strange.... or maybe it works better in person. Try it on your friends. 96% of people are supposed to answer "carrots" if asked math questions first.

xbck1
2003-Oct-16, 05:52 AM
I thought about broccoli. :-?

(spelling)

Eroica
2003-Oct-16, 07:27 AM
I picked potato. But I'm Irish. We've got potatoes on the brain.

kucharek
2003-Oct-16, 07:33 AM
Hmmmm... You guys must just be strange.... or maybe it works better in person. Try it on your friends. 96% of people are supposed to answer "carrots" if asked math questions first.

And what are the statistics when asked without doing maths before?

cyswxman
2003-Oct-16, 07:55 AM
I picked 1, since the question asked which one, and one is 1. :roll: :roll: :wink:

jokergirl
2003-Oct-16, 08:00 AM
I picked four, and would have even if I knew the idea. Come on, it's 2! What could be cooler?

</geek-mode>

;)

Kaptain K
2003-Oct-16, 08:33 AM
I picked four, and would have even if I knew the idea. Come on, it's 2! What could be cooler?

</geek-mode>

;)
It is also 2+2 and 2x2 #-o

jokergirl
2003-Oct-16, 08:36 AM

</geek-mode>

;)
It is also 2+2 and 2x2 #-o

Exactly. :D

;)

swansont
2003-Oct-16, 10:56 AM
No, I picked potatoes. Well first I picked a cucumber, but then I remembered that by definition a cucumber is a fruit since it has seeds. Why should I have picked that other vegetable?

Not according to the US Supreme Court (Nix v. Hedden, 1893). For the purposes of import duties and tariffs, etc., tomatoes, cucumbers and other items that are technically fruits are considered vegetables: if you eat it with a meal, it's a vegetable. If you eat it for dessert, it's a fruit.

Eroica
2003-Oct-16, 11:06 AM
if you eat it with a meal, it's a vegetable. If you eat it for dessert, it's a fruit.
What about those slices of fried banana and pineapple they serve with Chicken Maryland?

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-16, 03:03 PM

Not according to the US Supreme Court (Nix v. Hedden, 1893). For the purposes of import duties and tariffs, etc., tomatoes, cucumbers and other items that are technically fruits are considered vegetables: if you eat it with a meal, it's a vegetable. If you eat it for dessert, it's a fruit.

Wow, cool. Thanks. I never knew that. I now have another piece of trivia share with people.

NASA Fan
2003-Oct-16, 03:15 PM
I tried it on my friend and she did indeed say Carrots. She suggested that it may be because of the number three in all the questions. The number 3 gets planted in your mind, and since "C" is the third letter in the alphabet that might be what causes you to choose a vegetable with "C" and carrots is a very common "C" vegatable. From what I (we) learned from Swansont cucombers are also vegetables, so I also picked something with a "C" so I guess that it also worked on me...sort of.

swansont
2003-Oct-16, 03:19 PM
if you eat it with a meal, it's a vegetable. If you eat it for dessert, it's a fruit.
What about those slices of fried banana and pineapple they serve with Chicken Maryland?

I guess you have to ask a lawyer... :-?

jokergirl
2003-Oct-16, 03:21 PM

I guess you have to ask a lawyer... :-?

How about "If it's sweet, it's a fruit, if not, it's a vegetable"? Always worked very well for me.

And I know there are sweet carrot dishes, but I mean in raw state. :D

;)

Bawheid
2003-Oct-16, 03:23 PM
Vegetables, since they are part of a meal, unless you eat Chicken Maryland for dessert in which case they are fruit.

$200 please.

Mr. X
2003-Oct-16, 03:35 PM
What about that pizza with pineapple on it? :D

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-17, 01:45 AM

So, tomatoes and cucumbers are vegetables in the USA but fruits everywhere else? Ow. #-o

Added: It looks like 3 is pulling ahead.

Musashi
2003-Oct-17, 01:52 AM
I believe that certain fruits were termed vegetables to avoid tarrifs, or something... Just a story I heard.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-17, 01:54 AM
Where did you hear that? Was it a court ruling?

Musashi
2003-Oct-17, 01:58 AM
What I meant to say was, that I also don't think that the people 'in the know' in America consider them to be vegetables. It's just some outdated semantics. I also thought it was before 1893...

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-17, 01:59 AM
Oh, well that changes things, then.

You know, I really don't see why it is so hard for people to wrap their brains around this concept. It's a source of constant aggrivation for me.

Astronot
2003-Oct-17, 02:08 AM
I picked one because the poll said to pick it. But I have a bad habit of unquestioningly doing what I am told.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-17, 02:33 AM
Good thing I didn't say "Pick one" then! :D

I really could have worded that better.

Eroica
2003-Oct-17, 07:09 AM
Rhubarb?
Dessert = fruit
No seeds = vegetable

(I have way too much free time on my hands)

informant
2003-Oct-17, 06:03 PM
I really could have worded that better.
You can say that again. If you wanted to check whether most people choose number 3, don't you think you souldn't have told them about it?
No one wants to be in a minority. :)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Oct-17, 09:23 PM
Okay, I really could have worded that better... :)

Anyway, that's how the second "little test" came to be. No accidental release of information there!

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-01, 08:31 AM
Boy, this may have gone better in a place where people think less... anyway, looks like the "one" in the question may have skewed the results... whoops. Anyway, three seems to not have won...

Thank you for your participaton and another very strange poll/thread may be on its way. :)

Actually, last I checked it was winning.

People pick 3 because its a prime number I would say, and indirectly that makes it responsible for luck. ie Third-time Lucky.

1 would also be popular because it signifies being first, or the best. 2 less so, because it signifies being 2nd oviously, but more particularly, in a 2 way contest, it signifies being the loser.

4 I don't have anything.

But on similar poles in picking people's favourite numbers from 1-10, 7 always comes out on top (In Western Nations at least) and 3 is probably almost always 2nd.

In China 8 would proably come out on top I guess, given as how it has lucky qualities.

My favourite 10 numbers, in order (Under 100)
17, 7, 37, 79, 47, 23, 49, 97, 73, 19.

Given my birthday is 17/7/79, some of those numbers shouldn't surprise, but I think my whole thing for primes comes from fascination created by my prime-ific birthday.

:)

Enzp
2005-Dec-01, 12:22 PM
Oh, I didn't vote. Nothing was asked and no answers offered. So I then assumed it was some sort of trick. Like a pull my finger or something, so I didn't want to get involved.

Yes, I have tried the carrot thing many times and it almost always works. Face to face it is harder for someone to mull over the answers than when you can write the answer.

Here is a rapid fire sequence to try on people:

What is the opposite of LEAST? Most
What is another word for BRAG? Boast
Who is in charge of a party? Host
What is another word for SHORE? Coast
What do you put in a TOASTER?

Most of the time they will say "toast." But of course you put BREAD in a toaster, you take out toast.

I grew up in MAryland, and we never had anything called MAryland Chicken, and we surely would not have put bananas on a chicken. When I came to the midwest, I DID hear of Maryland Fried Chicken, which to the midwesterners apparently meant cooking the chicken with bacon fat. Back in MAryland we fried almost everything in bacon fat, but chicken was usually an exception. I still keep a container for bacon drippings in my refrigerator.

Bananas and chicken? Live and learn...

It was not all that long ago that the administration in Washington tried to classify ketchup as a vegetable for purposes of school lunch programs meeting their vegetable requirement.

Argos
2005-Dec-01, 01:01 PM
I picked three. It generally yields interesting combinations in all fields of life.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-01, 02:38 PM
I've got this trick on paper, and some percentage in the 90's pick 3. It's a business card with big block print on one side that says PICK A NUMBER, under which are printed 1, 2, 3, and 4. Nearly everyone picks 3 if you tell them not to think about it and just quickly pick a number. It has to do with the position of 3 in a series of 4.

1 and 4 rarely get picked because they are on the ends, and only a few wierdos pick 2 (can't remember why). Anyway, after they pick, I flip the card over and printed on the other side is ALL PERVERTS PICK 3. I think it is difficult to get the intended result here because people can't be as easily made to pick fast - not to mention this is definitely a crowd that would tend to want to think about it even when told not to.

My daughter loves those little word tricks. The one she gets everybody with is:

Her: Spell silk.
Unsuspecting victim: S - I - L - K.
Her: What do cows drink?

Almost all people say:

Milk.

Eroica
2005-Dec-01, 05:51 PM
Her: Spell silk.
Unsuspecting victim: S - I - L - K.
Her: What do cows drink?

Almost all people say:

Milk.
Cows are mammals. They do drink milk. That's why mummy cows make milk. :)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-01, 06:26 PM
Actually, last I checked it was winning.

Ah, but it wasn't two years ago. Looks like there've been more votes since then. :)

Argos
2005-Dec-01, 07:03 PM
Dang! I didn´t see this was one of those zombie threads...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-01, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't have noticed, but I was the one who started it... two years ago.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-01, 08:19 PM
Cows are mammals. They do drink milk. That's why mummy cows make milk. :)

You kinda got me there. Except it's just the calves that drink mommy's milk; the adults (cows) drink water.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-02, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't have noticed, but I was the one who started it... two years ago.

I just had to make sure you got your due Supreme, your original contention was right, even in this rarefied space. For whatever reason ??? :)