PDA

View Full Version : And now, for something completely different...

Jason_Roberts
2008-Sep-14, 03:50 AM
(Please note that by following the instructions below, that you will not harm your computer in any way.)

Go to DOS prompt or "RUN"

Type telnet [Enter]

Type the letter o [Enter]

Type towel.blinkenlights.nl [Enter]

Wait a few moments for everything to process, and enjoy the show.

(This is safe for work.)

sarongsong
2008-Sep-14, 06:29 AM
Telnet screen not accepting keystroke input.

Tuckerfan
2008-Sep-14, 06:43 AM
Worked fine for me. Did they finally get it finished? Last time I saw it, they hadn't completed the whole thing.

ravens_cry
2008-Sep-14, 07:04 AM
Telnet screen not accepting keystroke input.
I clicked Remote System. . . under Connect. Then added the address.

sarongsong
2008-Sep-14, 02:19 PM
Thanks!
...and skipping:
• Type the letter o [Enter]...:rolleyes:

Jason_Roberts
2008-Sep-14, 02:44 PM
Worked fine for me. Did they finally get it finished? Last time I saw it, they hadn't completed the whole thing.

As far as I know, it is complete. I haven't gotten a chance to sit all the way through it, yet.

I wonder if this will catch on as a new type of art.

Jeff Root
2008-Sep-14, 03:37 PM
From your comments, I'm guessing that this is the ASCII version of something
from long ago and far, far away.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

mugaliens
2008-Sep-14, 11:32 PM
I'm waiting on the upgraded instructions pertinant to us Vista users...

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-14, 11:34 PM
What's a DOS prompt?

Neverfly
2008-Sep-14, 11:47 PM
What's a DOS prompt?

Windows DOS. Similar to Unix.

It's the backbone of Microsoft programming.

Tuckerfan
2008-Sep-14, 11:47 PM
What's a DOS prompt?

Its what you used when computers were real computers, not these fancy dancy GUI things with your IMs, and internet, and YouTubes!

On XP, if you go to the "Start" button, select "Run" and type "CMD" (sans quotes), you'll get a window that pops up with a black background and white text. This is what's known as a "DOS prompt" or "Command box."

In the early days of home computers, you had what was known as DOS, which stood for Disk Operating System, DOS for short. In order to do anything, you had to type in commands like C:\word to start a program. After Microsoft developed Windows, you would type c:\win, and start Windows, which operated somewhat similar to the way XP and Vista do now.

When XP first came out, Microsoft ditched DOS completely, meaning that you weren't running DOS and Windows at the same time. The command prompt (or DOS box) was kept as a simple way to make changes to the OS without having to use the GUI. It comes in handy for checking things like your internet connection (by doing a "ping test"), and fixing things if something goes horribly wrong with your display settings.

KaiYeves
2008-Sep-14, 11:50 PM
Sorry for the question and thanks for the information. I'm the space-and-comics kind of nerd, not the programing kind.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-14, 11:50 PM
Its what you used when computers were real computers, not these fancy dancy GUI things with your IMs, and internet, and YouTubes!

To answer before it's asked...
GUI (pronounced gooey) is Graphical User Interface.

cjl
2008-Sep-15, 12:00 AM
I'm waiting on the upgraded instructions pertinant to us Vista users...
Here you go:

Vista by default has Telnet turned off. To enable it, simply go to control panel, and then to "Programs," then "Programs and Features" On the left side, there should be a button that says "Turn Windows features on or off." Press it. In the subsequent menu, go down to "Telnet client." Check the box. Hit OK. Once it is done thinking, go to the start menu and type "cmd" in the start search box and hit enter. That should get you the dos prompt, which will now properly work with the directions above.

Jason_Roberts
2008-Sep-15, 01:41 AM
Sorry guys.

I forgot that not everyone on earth uses the same OS and general configuration as everyone else.

D'oh.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Sep-15, 06:30 AM
It's a bit like if I'd given the instructions to open a terminal window and type

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

slang
2008-Sep-15, 08:32 AM
It's a bit like if I'd given the instructions to open a terminal window and type

Then you would probably receive responses that all windows are terminal, with some reference to blue screen :)

Drunk Vegan
2008-Sep-15, 03:15 PM
Seemed straightforward to me, but only because I've used telnet extensively in the past.

If I were on any other OS I'd just load up its telnet module or download a telnet program that runs on multiple platforms.

jamesabrown
2008-Sep-15, 06:33 PM
As far as I know, it is complete. I haven't gotten a chance to sit all the way through it, yet.

I wonder if this will catch on as a new type of art.

What I saw went through the release of Leia from her cell, followed by To Be Continued.

jokergirl
2008-Sep-15, 06:45 PM

Real computers don't use DOS. At least, not in my world.

Edit: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl is still up? Nice. It hasn't been extended since I last saw it, I see. Too bad.

;)

mugaliens
2008-Sep-15, 08:50 PM
Here you go:

Vista by default has Telnet turned off. To enable it, simply go to control panel, and then to "Programs," then "Programs and Features" On the left side, there should be a button that says "Turn Windows features on or off." Press it. In the subsequent menu, go down to "Telnet client." Check the box. Hit OK. Once it is done thinking, go to the start menu and type "cmd" in the start search box and hit enter. That should get you the dos prompt, which will now properly work with the directions above.

Thanks!