PDA

View Full Version : Podcast help

geonuc
2008-Sep-15, 08:39 PM
Once again, I'll demonstrate my dinosaur nature. :(

I want to listen to episodes of Astronomy Cast in my car, so I need something to play the podcasts. That's really all I want to do - not interested in FM radio, internet capability or whatever. Probably don't need six thousand GB's of capacity. Some actual buttons would be nice, as well.

What should I buy?

chrissy
2008-Sep-15, 11:13 PM
Hi my friend all you need is an IPod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod) and a incar radio that has a USB connection.
Or burn it onto a disk from your PC.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-15, 11:18 PM
Hi my friend all you need is an IPod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod) and a incar radio that has a USB connection.

I've never seen a radio in a car with a USB port.

Moose
2008-Sep-15, 11:36 PM
Geonuc, as I see it, the cheap options are pretty simple. Use CD burning software to burn them as audio CDs (in CDA format, not .mp3 unless your car rig can already handle them), then use your existing car equipment.

Alternately, since Astronomy Cast doesn't have especially challenging audio, you can make due with any piece of Walmart junk that says ".mp3 player" on it, for 10-15 bucks.

PeteG
2008-Sep-16, 12:44 AM

Just a stereo phono input should be fine for an ipod. The touch is great for podcasts (though it's a bit too pricey to buy for this reason alone), as with it's internet connection you can download them straight to your library.

geonuc
2008-Sep-16, 11:08 AM
I take it all the players would support the format I need? Whatever that is.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Sep-16, 11:12 AM
The format is mp3 which is one of the most universally supported formats of all, so basically anything that can store and play sound files will work. This includes all mp3 players(duh!) as well as many reasonably modern cellphones.

geonuc
2008-Sep-16, 12:24 PM
So what are these other formats (besides MP3)? When I went to the store to check out the selection, the specs seemed to list half a dozen or more formats. And the Astronomy Cast website didn't explicitly state MP3 (as far as I looked into) - just some babble about being an RSS feed.

It's hard being a dinosaur in the 21st century. :(

Moose
2008-Sep-16, 02:49 PM
So what are these other formats (besides MP3)? When I went to the store to check out the selection, the specs seemed to list half a dozen or more formats. And the Astronomy Cast website didn't explicitly state MP3 (as far as I looked into) - just some babble about being an RSS feed.

Fraser publishes in .mp3, just like everybody else does. You really don't need to worry about the other formats. That's mostly just marketing for newbie buyers and cheap heat-seekers. It's not wrong to get support for other formats (.ogg, .wma, .aac in particular), but 99% of users will never end up using them.

All RSS means is you can use software like "Juice" (free, and what I use) to automatically download new podcasts as they become available.

chrissy
2008-Sep-16, 10:13 PM
I've never seen a radio in a car with a USB port.

mine does :D

geonuc
2008-Sep-16, 10:19 PM
mine does :D
I don't think mine does, chrissy. Although it does have some blue-tooth capability that I've never used.

I think I might get an iPod Nano.

Thanks for all the help! :)

chrissy
2008-Sep-16, 10:23 PM
Even a cheap mp3 player would do the same thing Geonuc, or download it to Audio CD and play it in your car, if it has a CD player in it. ;) that would save a bit of money.

Your welcome.

geonuc
2008-Sep-16, 10:31 PM
Even a cheap mp3 player would do the same thing Geonuc, or download it to Audio CD and play it in your car, if it has a CD player in it. ;) that would save a bit of money.

Your welcome.
But the Nano is cool. :)

chrissy
2008-Sep-16, 11:40 PM
It is, my daughter has one, she loves it.

Go for it. :)

Grashtel
2008-Sep-17, 06:41 AM
But the Nano is cool. :)
True, and you pay for the cool, you can get a comparable mp3 player that doesn't have the annoying lock in to iTunes for considerably less than an iPod of any flavor.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-17, 06:50 AM
True, and you pay for the cool, you can get a comparable mp3 player that doesn't have the annoying lock in to iTunes for considerably less than an iPod of any flavor.

That's why I have Absolutely NOTHING to do with Apple, iPod, iTunes, Quicktime etc.

Hewlett Packard has similarly disappointed me with their tyrannical control and spamware.

I have a strong tendency to treat associated programs like virus' because they behave like them.

geonuc
2008-Sep-17, 11:19 AM
What would you recommend?

HenrikOlsen
2008-Sep-17, 02:12 PM
I'd recommend anything that looks like you can figure out how to copy files to it.

Creative had a couple of mp3 players which detached to a battery pack and a USB stick, so putting sound files on the thing was a matter of sticking it in a port and you have a new drive on the computer which you can copy music files over to by drag and drop.
I had one that needed a cable, but had the same basic functionality, connect the gadget and your pc has a new disk which you can copy files to.
If they are sound files (mp3 plus whatever other formats it supports) it'll then play them.

One point that may be more important that selling price is the interface, when you have a gadget with 400 sound clips, is it easy to find the one you want?

That may where an iPod becomes a better buy than a ten dollar, three button, one line of forty characters, player, which could actually do all you want it to but the hassle of getting it to do it makes it more expensive in terms of overall satisfaction.