PDA

View Full Version : Electic Comet?

Comixx
2002-Mar-21, 07:17 AM
For years I've read conspiracy sites like the Millenium Group and such just for the entertainment purposes. Reading about Orca, and spaceships being captured in pictures from the SOHO cameras, etc...the "Electic Comet" thing keeps grabbing my attention...it may be impossible, but I'm curious, nonetheless...

Here's a short quote from a site, relating to Comet Linear in 2000, but its the only thing a Google search returned. The Millenium Group's main site is down, and I know they have an alternate, but I cant find it...is any of this real science? Or is it just poppycock?

21 fragments ranging in size between 1 km and 3 km in diameter were observed as they struck Jupiter. The most violent impactor was fragment G, which struck with an estimated energy equivalent to 6,000,000 megatons of TNT. To put this in perspective, if you combined all of the nuclear arsenal worldwide, that power would be 1/500th of that released by fragment G in a single event.

What is interesting to note, is that astronomers still cling to NASA's dirty snowball theory even though it often fails to accurately predict the behavior of comets like S4 LINEAR.

An alternative to the dirty snowball theory is called the Electric Comet Theory and the primary theorist is James McCanney, a former Physics professor from Cornell University. Ithaca, NY. McCanney's theory has received a "the world is flat and we'll have no more talk of it" type of response from the American scientific community. Nonetheless, his Electric Comet Theory is now required reading in Russia's most prestigious universities.

For a layman's introduction to the Electric Comet Theory and how it applies to comets like S4 LINEAR, you can listen to a Real Audio interview of McCanney by radio talk show host Chuck Shramek on February 22, 1999. The Electric Comet, 1 hr. 14 mins.,., James McCanney, Primary Theorist

The interview is admittedly long, but very entertaining and highly informative. They discuss McCanney's comet theory, Venus, Mars, and the SOHO satellite that is now monitoring what is as abnormally prolonged and powerful solar maximum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Comixx on 2002-03-21 02:21 ]</font>

2002-Mar-21, 08:14 AM
<a name="20020321.1:54"> page 20020321.1:54 aka Scale
On 2002-03-21 02:17, Comixx wrote: To: 2 EB 10 CUMKU
1: Many many years ago, i read
2: in the April `86 "_RADIO ELECTRONICS_"
3: magizine an article on Gravity Waves
4: and an electronic circuit to build
5: a :"Gravity Wave Detector":
6: so .. following the instructions
7: "in the magizine" I built 1
8: as far as I could tell it did something
prestigious universities.9: that was solar Cycle 22
8: in this just ended cycle 23, I was able
7: to feed the output from the detector into
6: an old IBM 5150 computer & do some corralation
5: {mostly with Eartquake data}[and SOHO](Geos8/9 X-RAy)
4: upone compleation of "MY" corolations I decided to
3: try to interest 2 universities here to accept
2: the detector as a donation. After that i've become
1: convinced P.U.'s interested in only 1 thing. $'s & more $'s & nothing else

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-21, 09:07 AM
On 2002-03-21 03:14, HUb' wrote:
1: Many many years ago, i read
2: in the April `86 "_RADIO ELECTRONICS_"
3: magizine an article on Gravity Waves
4: and an electronic circuit to build
5: a :"Gravity Wave Detector":
6: so .. following the instructions
7: "in the magizine" I built 1
An electronic circuit to detect gravity waves? Do you still have that issue of Radio Electronics? Can you get a scan?

Radio Electronics became Electronics Now, and was combined with Popular Electronics in Jan. 2000 to become Poptronics (http://www.gernsback.com/), right? Poptronics online archive doesn't seem to include Radio Electronics.

ToSeek
2002-Mar-21, 12:06 PM
On 2002-03-21 02:17, Comixx wrote:

Here's a short quote from a site, relating to Comet Linear in 2000, but its the only thing a Google search returned. The Millenium Group's main site is down, and I know they have an alternate, but I cant find it...
[/quote]

The MGers mostly seem to be posting at:

http://www.yowusa.com

these days.

Comixx
2002-Mar-22, 01:13 AM
I only read sites like Hoagland's and Bell's for entertainment. But every now-and-then something strikes me as a what if kind of situation...(what if they're even 10% right, that could be interesting)...so, my brother was telling me about Bad Astronomy and I'm really impressed and I love this kind of stuff, so I thought I'd finally found the place to ask my questions.

DStahl
2002-Mar-22, 08:46 AM
More info:

McCanney's (http://www.usinternet.com/users/jmccanney/) own Plasma Discharge Comet Model site.

Here is an interesting thing: Joe Canepa posted a July 1994 paper wrote discussing a possible change in the predicted trajectory of Shoemaker-Levy, and in it he quotes a couple of paragraphs from one of McCanney's articles in the (defunct?) magazine Kronos. Canepa also provides the response of a reviewer who rejected Canepa's paper for publication in "Electronic Journal of the Astronomical Society of the Atlantic." The reviewer, Drew LePage, wrote that the reference to McCanney did not lend credence to the paper: "[McCanney's work] just sounds like a lot of mumbo jumbo with no basis in any physics that I am aware of." Reference (http://www.seds.org/uaseds/mail/sl9/0176.html)

Now this may just be character assassination for all I know, but if you're really trying to research the fellow and his ideas it's worth scanning Canepa's paper and the comments by LePage. I couldn't find any references to publications by McCanney except those in Kronos, which seems not to publish articles online.

Cheers!

--Don Stahl

[later] Kronos publishing house continues to publish books on catastrophism, and they provide a listing of articles and contributors to the Kronos journal. McCanney's work appeared in 1984-1985, along with some of Velikovsky's stuff on Sumerians. Uh-oh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DStahl on 2002-03-22 04:16 ]</font>

Simon
2002-Mar-22, 12:44 PM
So how does the Deep Space 1 flyby affect this?

ToSeek
2002-Mar-22, 12:59 PM
On 2002-03-22 07:44, Simon wrote:
So how does the Deep Space 1 flyby affect this?

The Millenniumites seem to be claiming victory from the DS1 flyby if only because the scientists were somewhat surprised at the findings.

Oh, and you can also now go to http://www.yowusa.com/ and vote on whether or not Planet Niburu is going to flyby and destroy the Earth in 2003. (Believe it or not, the "ayes" are currently winning.)

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-22, 04:22 PM
I'd sure like to meet some of those "aye" voters. I'd ask them to sign over their life savings to me. After all, they won't be needing them after next year...

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-22, 04:27 PM
On 2002-03-22 11:22, Donnie B. wrote:
I'd sure like to meet some of those "aye" voters. I'd ask them to sign over their life savings to me. After all, they won't be needing them after next year...

Lol! just what i (& i'm sure many others) was thinking /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Simon
2002-Mar-23, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but that's also out of 31 voters (one of which is myself). And it is the sort of poll you'd answer "yes" to just for a laugh (I know I've done things like that a few times).