PDA

View Full Version : Changing Galaxies

Marty1468
2008-Sep-17, 03:41 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm new on here and this is my first thread.

I was just wondering, assuming travel faster than the speed of light was possible, if one was approaching a distant galaxy, depending on the speed would what you were looking at rapidly change as you got closer. I'm assuming speeds similar that when you see a tv series like Star Trek and the galaxies and stars are zipping by. Even then, i would think that some stars may in fact go supernova and die in the blink of an eye as they were approached as a much older star would be in front of the travellers than what they saw from a further distance away.

Any ideas on this?

Neverfly
2008-Sep-17, 03:47 AM
Considering the distances between stars and the varying distances between stars, the Star Trek Special Effect never made any sense to me.

I think they do it just because it looks cool.

NEOWatcher
2008-Sep-17, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,
Hi. Welcome.

I was just wondering, assuming travel faster than the speed of light was possible
Well; see? That's the first issue. Since faster than light is not possible, I'm sure any speculation on the effects would be difficult, if not impossible.

But; think of this... Light needs to strike your eye (or film, ccd, etc) before it can be imagined. So passing light is irrelevent.
As you approach the speed of light, the light that is not from directly ahead starts to appear farther and farther forward, giving a fish eye lens kind of effect.
The ones from the front meet you faster (blue shift), and the ones from behind meet you slower (red shift).

As far as faster than light (or even infinitely close to it), I would imagine that you would only see a really bright blue dot in front of you.

Even then, i would think that some stars may in fact go supernova and die in the blink of an eye as they were approached as a much older star would be in front of the travellers than what they saw from a further distance away.
Yep; It depends on how far and how fast. If you headed to a star that was 1000 light years away and it took you a day to get there, then what you saw would be happening at 365000 times faster. (that's ignoring time dilation which might be irrelevent at a fantasy speed)

I think they do it just because it looks cool.
You think? :lol:
If I were to try to explain it away, I would probably put some technobable about stuff going from normal space into the warp bubble.

Marty1468
2008-Sep-17, 10:22 PM
Thanks NEOwatcher. That clears thigs up for me a bit better. It was just something that has been running around in my head for a while now. :-)