PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

eric_marsh
2008-Sep-18, 09:20 PM
Yesterday I rode my bike to meet a client, and when I got home my cell phone wasn't in it's belt clip. When we tried to call the phone it goes directly to voice mail. I think this is a bad sign for the health of the phone.

With that in mind I bought myself an iPhone. I've spent too much time downloading stuff and playing with it. I've got to admit, the iPhone is really cool especially since I run on Macs and subscribe to the .ME data in the cloud service. So now all my important data is both in my phone as well as at home.

Anyone else have an iPhone? If so, what apps do you recommend?

PetersCreek
2008-Sep-18, 10:16 PM
I have the following apps on mine:

eWallet — A sercure password/information minder. I've used it for quite some time with my Pocket PC. The iPhone version was just updated to sync with the desktop version I already have.

Starmap — I got this as a replacement for an ephemeris utility I kept on the Pocket PC. When I'm planning photo trips, I like to know when and where the sun will rise/set, where the Moon will be, etc. Starmap's extra features just might come in handy, too.

Photocalc — Calculates depth of field, hyperfocal distance, etc.

SmugShot — Interfaces with my website host (SmugMug) on the fly.

Declaration & Consitution — Electronic versions of our founding documents...just because.

BubbleLevel — I got it on a lark but hey, you never know when you'll need a bubble level.

Rotary Dialer — Got it for the novelty.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-18, 10:24 PM
My cell phone is a Sanyo RL 4930.

It's tough and rugged.

When someone calls me it rings. When I call someone it dials out.

After all- that's what a PHONE is supposed to do.

PetersCreek
2008-Sep-18, 11:01 PM
My vehicle gets me from point A to point B...that's what it's supposed to do...but it also has features that allow me to carry a bunch of cargo, keep cool or warm, and listen to music. I can even start it from the comfort of my bed.

I'm all for utility but I also value versatility.

sarongsong
2008-Sep-19, 12:49 AM
My cell phone is a Sanyo RL 4930...someone calls me it rings...I call someone it dials out...that's what a PHONE is supposed to do.
Sanyo RL4930
...features include:
vibrate mode
calendar
alarm clock
calculator
stopwatch
world clock
PC syncing
text messaging
WAP 2.0 wireless Web browser
speakerphone
voice recorder
memory for downloads is 2MB...
ZDNet (http://review.zdnet.com/cell-phones/sanyo-rl4930-sprint/4505-6454_16-31597369.html)It's no jitterbug (http://www.jitterbug.com/Phones.aspx) ! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Neverfly
2008-Sep-19, 12:59 AM
Yeah.. I don't use all that.

Ok I use the text.

But that's about it...

geonuc
2008-Sep-19, 08:58 AM
BubbleLevel I got it on a lark but hey, you never know when you'll need a bubble level.

How does that work?

mfumbesi
2008-Sep-19, 12:48 PM
I presume the iPhone has an angle sensor of some sort. Like pot with a weight inside some damping liquid or an accelerometer chip or ....... In bulks the pricing is not so bad especially the pot option.

PetersCreek
2008-Sep-19, 03:09 PM
Yep, the iPhone has a 3-axis accellerometer built in. It's primary purpose is to allow the screen to switch orientation (in some applications) based on the position of the phone. The Starmap application I have can also make use of it. The star map will slew as I tilt the phone left or right for azimuth and as I raise/lower it in an arc over my head for elevation.

SeanF
2008-Sep-19, 03:28 PM
The star map will slew as I tilt the phone left or right for azimuth and as I raise/lower it in an arc over my head for elevation.
How does it know which direction you were facing to begin with?

PetersCreek
2008-Sep-19, 05:37 PM
I have to be smart enough to align both myself and the phone in the proper cardinal direction. But it's not like it's calibrated in some way. I just need to, say, face North, and touch the "North" icon. Then I need to orient myself properly as I slew the map.

SeanF
2008-Sep-19, 07:57 PM
I have to be smart enough to align both myself and the phone in the proper cardinal direction. But it's not like it's calibrated in some way. I just need to, say, face North, and touch the "North" icon. Then I need to orient myself properly as I slew the map.
That's kind of what I figured. Only thing I could think of, anyway. :)