PDA

View Full Version : Two Shuttles on the Pad ó The Last Time

Fraser
2008-Sep-19, 05:50 PM
Itís a rare event anyway, but this is the last time ever. Two shuttles are now sitting on NASA's two launchpads at Kennedy Space Center. Space shuttle Endeavour completed a 4.2-mile journey to Launch Pad 39B Friday morning, Sept. 19, at 6:59 a.m. EDT, and this is the first time a shuttle has [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/09/19/two-shuttles-on-the-pad-the-last-time/)

JustAFriend
2008-Sep-19, 10:26 PM
Hope someone there takes a LOT of good aerial photos....

Neverfly
2008-Sep-19, 11:55 PM
Aside from this bit:

A small glitch occurred this week in preparing for the Hubble servicing mission. Trouble with a cleaning system connected to a canister housing fresh batteries and a new camera bound for the Hubble Space Telescope somehow blew insulation into protective bagging around the cargo carrier.. Work to inspect and clean the canister will delay its delivery to the shuttle Atlantis at launch pad 39A by at least 24 hours.
I seem to be having some difficulty understanding exactly what the reason is for needing an on call rescue shuttle:neutral:

I may just be stupid.
Then again, it seems the article didn't really go into depth on that or maybe I missed earlier articles that cover it.

JustAFriend
2008-Sep-20, 03:01 PM
Ever since the foam blew holes in the wing of the last one that disintegrated, all Shuttle flights have been going up to the ISS so the crew could come down in Soyuz capsules if need be.

The Hubble is not on the same orbit as the ISS, so if there is a problem the crew would be stranded and would die in a few weeks.

So the other Shuttle is there as a rescue backup....

Neverfly
2008-Sep-20, 10:34 PM
Ever since the foam blew holes in the wing of the last one that disintegrated, all Shuttle flights have been going up to the ISS so the crew could come down in Soyuz capsules if need be.

The Hubble is not on the same orbit as the ISS, so if there is a problem the crew would be stranded and would die in a few weeks.

So the other Shuttle is there as a rescue backup....

Oh, I see. I understand now- Thank you:)